2012: Dahl Scholarship fund drive - raise $10K to ride on T-6 racer; NEW $5K match

Subscribe
Experience the thrill of flying a high performance aircraft. FlyerTalk is teaming up with a Reno Air Racer Radial Velocity to help support the Jason Dahl Scholarship fund. Radial Velocity races in the T-6 class at the Reno Air Races and will be providing a ride to the winner of a raffle supporting the scholarship fund if we raise $10,000 for it. The lucky winner will also receive two general admission tickets to the Reno Air Race and two pit passes to visit the Radio Velocity Team. See the FlyerTalk logo on their plane up close and personal!

Radial Velocity, a T-6 advanced trainer, was used to train fighter and bomber pilots in World War II. The aircraft has been rebuilt. Owner and pilot, John Lohmar, now races it in the Reno Air Races. This high performance two-person aircraft placed third overall in the 2010 T-6 class race. Support the team by "liking" them on Facebook.

Here is a video of the plane at the 2010 Reno Air Races.

This is truly a unique opportunity. Not only is this high-performance aircraft a part of history, but it is one of the few two-seat racing aircraft that can give rides. You will ride it in October or November in St. Louis. In addition, the raffle is supporting a wonderful cause, the Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship fund. Your donations are tax deductible, at least in the US. And some of you work for companies who will match your donations.

Captain Jason Dahl was the Captain of United 93 on 9/11, and lost his life that day along with his passengers and crew. A scholarship fund was set up by friends, family, and fellow pilots in his memory to give qualified students the opportunity to attend flight training schools. It’s hard to believe that 11 years have passed since then. We recently lost his wife, Sandy Dahl, but his fellow pilots are carrying on the charity effort.

We have set a goal of $10K for FlyerTalk to raise this year. We raised in excess of $8K last year. Last year's winner, pshuang, has committed a match up to $1K for money contributed by noon CST, Sunday, August 26. That's 5 days from now. Get ready, set, go!

There is a launch dinner this Saturday, hosted by toomanybooks in the Chicago area. Captain Denny will be attending. He is on the board of the Captain Dahl Scholarship Fund. His boundless enthusiasm and energy for this cause keeps us committed.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...ship-fund.html

Pat89339 will host a San Francisco dinner on Sept 10. Captain Denny will also attend. The draw for the winner will be held that night.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...l#post19167752
FlyerTalk's goal is to raise in excess of $10K. If we do, a name will be randomly drawn and the person will receive a ride in Radial Velocity’s T-6 plane. The person will also win 2 general admission tickets to the Reno Air Races and 2 pit passes so that s/he can visit the Radial Velocity crew. The Reno Air Race will be Sept 12 - 16.

The ride will be given at Creve Coeur Field (five miles from St. Louis Lambert Airport). The winner should plan to take it in October or November 2012.

Specific times and dates of the ride are to be coordinated between the winner and John Lohmar. The winner will provide their own transportation and lodging (if needed) to St. Louis.

Raffle donations will be made through the scholarship fund's website. You MUST MARK your donation as from a FlyerTalk member. There is a separate drive amongst pilots right now.

The deadline for raffle donations will be 4pm PST September 10.

The more you give, the greater your chance of winning.
◦ $25 = 1 chance
◦ $50 = 4 chances
◦ $100 = 10 chances
◦ $200 = 40 chances
◦ $300 = 60 chances
◦ $400 = 80 chances
◦ $500 = 100 chances

It’s a bit tricky to be sure that FlyerTalk gets credit. You have to go all the way thru to the Paypal page. There you will find a link that says “Add special instructions to recipient”. Click it and write “FlyerTalk – handle.” Captain Denny will be tracking donations and reporting back.. Please give even if you know you can't take the ride. It's a worthy cause. Make a special note "FlyerTalk - no ride'. Contributions go straight to the fund. Captain Denny will keep track of those given by FlyerTalkers.

The winning name will be drawn at the SFO dinner hosted by Pat89339 on Sept 10. Captain Denny will attend and make the draw.

And if you go to the Reno Air Show the following week, buy a pit pass and visit the Radial Velocity team. They'd like to see you.
You can count me in for $250. No way I am not going to make pshuang pay for stealing my near-win last year!

IMO the Jason Dahl Scholarship fund is a super-worthy cause, especially so for those of us who travel on various airlines. Not to mention that ol' Texan looks amazingly good with a FT logo!

See here: http://www.flyertalk.com/the-gate/bl...-airplane.html

Quote: Last year’s winner, pshuang, is offering a match up to $1K for donations given by noon CST Sunday, Aug 26.
First Day
The first day got off to a great start. $175 We even had a donor from Canada. Thank you all.

Capt Denny
Quote: The first day got off to a great start. $175 We even had a donor from Canada. Thank you all.

Capt Denny
Now you've got one from Australia! In for $200
Quote: You can count me in for $250. No way I am not going to make pshuang pay for stealing my near-win last year!
The pleasure was all mine, JDiver!
pshuang get your pocket book ready. In the first day 40 hours we raised $750. Thank you everyone for your generosity.

Capt Denny
Sorry pshuang! Another $100 to your tally just got added.
look out pshuang - I'm headed to the dinner and made a donation in Flyertalk's name

Lurker
And I added my donation to the total! I bet the match gets met today!
Just went in for $250...for no other reason than it's a great cause and I met Captain Denny one time and considered it one of my best experiences with United. Thanks for all you do...
Busted $1000
My Flying Friends,

We just reached $1575 and I will go back and add up the donations to see who crossed the $1000 barrier.

Capt Denny
plus match means already $2575 out of $10K
FlyerTalk logo on Radial Velocity
Wow! We are off to a great start. Thank you all so much! Here's nice shot of the FlyerTalk logo on the airplane.

[IMG] Flyer Talk logo 1 by DLohmar07, on Flickr[/IMG]
pshuang the culprit to take us over $1000 was Where2Next! I might add he had a lot of help from many of your FT friends.

Capt Denny