Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

2012: Dahl Scholarship fund drive - raise $10K to ride on T-6 racer; NEW $5K match

2012: Dahl Scholarship fund drive - raise $10K to ride on T-6 racer; NEW $5K match

Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:35 pm

Winners Drawn

Just returned from dinner with a wonderful check from raffle items Pat with a bunch of numbers put together. The winner of the T-6 ride is shcooper1 and the runner up was <awaiting FT handle>.

The anonymous donor for the second match gave us a check for $5000 just because we were close. Our total for the fund raiser was $19,236. Thank you all for your generosity.

Capt Denny

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Sep 13, 2012 at 2:23 am Reason: Real names replaced with FT handles
Old Sep 11, 2012, 5:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Capt Denny
Just returned from dinner with a wonderful check from raffle items Pat with a bunch of numbers put together.

The anonymous donor for the second match gave us a check for $5000 just because we were close. Our total for the fund raiser was $19,236. Thank you all for your generosity.

Capt Denny
Wow!!! Kudos to all who donated and who donated the matches!

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Sep 19, 2012 at 3:29 pm Reason: deleted real world names
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Wonderful!

Now, Radial Velocity can do her thing at Reno, while the Scholarship Fund can enable some future pilots - and it appears we will need them, as forecasts say we will need ~69,000 new pilots in North America. This will enable some to aspire to join the pilot profession who otherwise would not have been able to satisfy those aspirations because of the costs involved. I am proud to be a FlyerTalker and to support our charitable endeavors, and to offer sincere Kudos to the Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund and to those who created and support it; I can't think of a better memorial to Capt. Dahl.

I also think on this day we can recall the sacrifice made by a few to save many, those under Capt. Dahl's command and those who were flying on his aircraft on UA 93 eleven years ago today, at about this time.

Perhaps the most poignant reminder would be (Capt. Dahl's widow) Sandy Dahl's words:

"If we learn noting else from this tragedy, we learn that life is short and there is no time for hate."

Life is short indeed. Many of you recall Sandy Dahl passed away May 25 2012; her words must live on, as our feelings of loss and respect for the many who acted heroically and those who died, were injured and bereaved September 11, 2001.

Just returned from dinner with a wonderful check from raffle items Pat with a bunch of numbers put together. The winner of the T-6 ride is Scott Cooper and the second winner was Deborah Hulse.

Capt Denny
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:37 am
Posting Legend, Moderator, Manufactured Spending

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
I am proud to be a FlyerTalker and to support our charitable endeavors, and to offer sincere Kudos to the Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund and to those who created and support it; I can't think of a better memorial to Capt. Dahl.
Being unable to say it better I'll only add my congratulations for the work the fund does and the community spirit of FT in enabling that positive endeavor to continue. ^
Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The anonymous donor for the second match gave us a check for $5000 just because we were close. Our total for the fund raiser was $19,236
^

$19,236 this year
$8,566 last year
$6,400 in may

^
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:11 pm

You all are so generous and we are very glad to be flying the FlyerTalk logo and this year's National Championship Air Races. Thank you so much for your generosity to a great cause. This year's fund raising efforts have surpassed anything we imagined. I've been here at the races for the past two days and having a great time. I have gathered a ton of video clips I am excited to share in a video of the team - standby for a few days (or more) for me to put it together. In the mean time, here's a great shot of John finishing his qualifying lap. Thank you all again, your generosity and spirit towards this cause is second to none.

Note: on this historic day of remembrance, the American Flag proudly waves in this picture. There is no greater symbol of our spirit, and resolve, to stand in the name of freedom and worldwide generosity. Thank you all again for your support and generosity.

[IMG] John Reno Finish by DLohmar07, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Thank you for taking the time and effort to share, even while at Reno, Dan. Further thanks of course to Denny, to John, pshuang, Kagehitokiriand many others. Job well done! ^

Long may she wave!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Some words from John Lohmar (pilot for the Radial Velocity team):

"Dan posted this 'finished' version of our 2012 video to YouTube Friday afternoon. As you have seen, Dan is very talented and this video is really quite awesome. He cut some of my helmet cam video into his GoPro video and he did a great job on it. We want to get some views on it, so feel free to watch it, 'Like' it, and send it to anyone else that you think might be interested.

You wanna see what it is like to race at Reno? Here it is from the pilot's view:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVdJg4trUiQ

It was a great race this year - we had good weather, a safe event, and best of all our team did very well. Our speed of 243.887 MPH for the medal race was 5 MPH faster than our previous best speed and almost 30 MPH faster than where we started out 5 years ago. I am very proud of the team.

It was a long hard day Monday, but I flew the racer from Reno to Dallas and made it to Dallas just before dark. The crew got home with the truck and trailer Wednesday evening. I flew Race 88 back up to STL Saturday morning and she is back in the hangar now. We are already making plans for some new mods for next year.

Next year is the 50th anniversary of the Reno Race - It should be a great event too - Hope you can make it."

[The T-6 is housed in St. Louis and much of her crew is based in St. Louis. However, John currently lives in Dallas.]

Last edited by pshuang; Sep 24, 2012 at 10:37 am Reason: Added clarification about St. Louis and Dallas.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: AAEP, other airs, hotels, ccs
Smile Scholarship and T-6

Many thanks to anonymous who generously offered up the matching funds, even though numbers came up a bit shy. Although I'm new to posting on FT, I could see early on how generous many FT members can be (and humorous!) Like them, I contributed to the Jason Dahl scholarship even without the T-6 incentive, though it was a sweet addition! I was excited to get runner up, and heartily thank the judges for it.

Although I'll be traveling at the time of the St.. Louis air show, I'd still love to do the ride. Have you looked at that video?! I'm sick that I can't even think about it, but I'll happily contribute to the fund next year, incentive or not. In the meantime, I'll enjoy sharing the air with you. T & L
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:53 pm

Smile T-6 flying

PHuang and I showed up in St. Louis on Sunday morning for a great ride with Capt John Lohmar and his T-6, on an overcast morning. The clouds put a dent in the altitude, but not in the stunningly gorgeous views that were surely stolen from the New England trees! John said the trees were likely at their peak fall color this weekend and probably next, but they just glowed with the little pockets of sunshine that managed to make it through the clouds. Meeting John and one of his team (Gary) and Ping was wonderful. They are full of such enthusiasm. John was so generous in offering his time and T6 for a prize to those contributing to the Captain Dahl Scholarship. What a special experience!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:55 pm

Pics

Whoops, almost forgot... hope to get some photos together as the week progresses.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.