Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

2012: Dahl Scholarship fund drive - raise $10K to ride on T-6 racer; NEW $5K match

2012: Dahl Scholarship fund drive - raise $10K to ride on T-6 racer; NEW $5K match

Old Aug 25, 2012, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Just donated. Couldn't do as much as before with biz being down, but wanted to contribute to a great cause.

Now headed to the dinner in ORD!

Cheers.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Originally Posted by Capt Denny
pshuang the culprit to take us over $1000 was Where2Next! I might add he had a lot of help from many of your FT friends.
My hat's off to Where2Next and all of the members of the community who have contributed so generously!

My pledge shall be fulfilled shortly -- I need to go through some minor contortions so as to maximize the points earned from the donation amount!
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:05 pm

Sunday's Balance

The first few days of The Capt Jason Dahl Scholarship drive has been very successful. We just crossed $2025 and doubled what we needed for Ping's $1000 match. Thank you all for your generosity and participation.

Capt Denny
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:10 pm

Week Long Pass

Just to clarify. The winner of the T-6 ride will also get two reserve seats and pit passes for each day of the reno Air Race. It also includes a parking pass. Value is $500.

Capt Denny
Old Aug 26, 2012, 2:04 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

New $5K match

A NEW MATCH of $5K is being made. An FTer who is very active here is making an anonymous contribution. The 9/11 losses are very personal to him as he lost a Navy friend at the Pentagon. He honors both Captain Dahl and his friend with this donation.

If we fully meet this match, we will raise $12K for the fund - $1K from pshuang plus $1K from FTers, $5K from anonymous FTer plus $5K from FTers. Let's do it!

Captain Denny wants everyone to empowered to give, even when their means are very modest. He has suggested $11 contributions as symbolic of the day. (This does not enter the person in the drawing.) Open the attachment to read more.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2012 Captain Dahl.pdf (67.9 KB, 128 views)
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:53 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Great cause and in for a Benjamin.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Let me see if I can give clarity to the amount of money we have from matches and the amount of money we need to raise to fully maximize those matches.

Match

$1K - pshuang
$5K - anonymous

Seeking to raise
$1K - to get full match from pshuang - met
$5K - to get full match from anonymous - now working on this match

This would be a grand total of $12K.

The Radial Velocity team has kindly allowed us to set a $10K goal in order to gift the plane ride, but really, truly, I want us to give to the full matches and beyond. Be sure to check with your companies to see if they will match your giving. That won't go into the numbers above, but who cares - it gives more money to be distributed in scholarships. When you look at the amount of money given out by the Dahl fund, you will see that a significant portion comes from FTers.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:16 pm
Posting Legend, Moderator, Manufactured Spending

Programs: HH Silver
I appreciate the updates to see how the fundraising is going. ^
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:11 am

Thank you all for the donations.

After developing a great relationship with FlyerTalkers last year and seeing the immediate success of fund-raising efforts this year, the race team ordered another set of FlyerTalk sticker/logos for the airplane. The race team will put one somewhere towards the front of the airplane which will make for better pictures and visibility for FlyerTalk.

Thank you again for your team support and especially for your generosity to the fund.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: AAEP, other airs, hotels, ccs
First Post

Hi All, I've probably traveled with many of you, and read a lot of you on FT. This is my first post, simply because am not a business traveler. Gotten lots out of the site, so thanks. My biggest thanks is for the oppty to contribute to this scholarship. Will try to offer my own comments other places in time.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Captain Dan
After developing a great relationship with FlyerTalkers last year and seeing the immediate success of fund-raising efforts this year, the race team ordered another set of FlyerTalk sticker/logos for the airplane. The race team will put one somewhere towards the front of the airplane which will make for better pictures and visibility for FlyerTalk.
Very exciting news! We look forward to the pictures. The beautiful blue of your plane sets off our logo extremely well.

Originally Posted by Travel & Leisure
Hi All, I've probably traveled with many of you, and read a lot of you on FT. This is my first post, simply because am not a business traveler. Gotten lots out of the site, so thanks. My biggest thanks is for the oppty to contribute to this scholarship. Will try to offer my own comments other places in time.
Welcome, Travel & Leisure. It's great to have you here. I'm impressed your first stop on FT is to contribute money to a great cause. I look forward to seeing you across the board.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Just donated to this great cause!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:54 am

Is this educational fund for the children of the Dahl's ?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dewhit6959
Is this educational fund for the children of the Dahl's ?
Not at all. Take a look at the foundation page. Captain Dahl received a scholarship when he was an aspiring pilot. This fund pays the gift onward. Aspiring pilots write essays on why they want to become a pilot. Scholarships are given to some of those students.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Let me see if I can give clarity to the amount of money we have from matches and the amount of money we need to raise to fully maximize those matches.

Match

$1K - pshuang
$5K - anonymous

Seeking to raise
$1K - to get full match from pshuang - met
$5K - to get full match from anonymous - now working on this match

This would be a grand total of $12K.
We now have $2775 raised toward the $5K match.

Folks, if you want to be in the drawing for the ride, you need to actually give your handle when you make your donation - such as pshuang, or jdiver, or SanDiego1K. Please don't write "flyertalk handle". Obviously my directions lack clarity as six people have done exactly that. We're using handles for the drawing, to respect everyone's anonymity.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.