Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

$6K goal met for Dahl fund! Thank you, FlyerTalkers

Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:26 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Do historical aircraft interest you? Would you like a chance to ride in one? How about the oldest surviving plane flown for American? Give to the Jason Dahl fund and get a chance for you and a friend to ride in the oldest surviving plane flown by American Airlines, a Stinson Tri-Motor. The ride will be donated by Greg Herrick in whose private collection the plane resides. Think about doing your mileage runs and accumulating your elite status flying this plane.

The winner and his or her guest will choose a June or July date mutually agreeable with Greg Herrick. They make their own way to the Anoka CountyAirport, roughly 30 miles south of Minneapolis/St Paul. There, they will take a ride in the Stinson Tri-Motor and be given a private tour of the Golden Wing Museum. The museum houses close to 30 unique and one-of-a-kind aircraft from America's Golden Age of Aviation (1920's-1930's). Anyone who donates to the fund will have the opportunity to tour the museum at the same time and to watch the ride.

Increase your chances by donating generously. Chances will be
    Contribute at the Dahl Fund contribution page and use Paypal. Please note your FT handle when you give. We have a goal of raising more than $3000. Remember, many companies will match charitable gifts. Captain Denny will keep us informed on the amount of donations. The money goes to the Capt Jason Dahl Scholarship. dahlfund.org. Capt Dahl was at the controls of Flight 93 on Sept 11th when his life was tragically taken by terrorists. It gives financial assistance to young men and women interested in an aviation career to honor Captain Dahl’s memory.

The drawing will be held on May 12 at Capt Tom Bush’ nature store in Littleton, Colorado, during the Birding Festival. He has raised funds for the Dahl Foundation since 2005.

Note: If the Ford Tri-Motor flown by both Amelia Earhart and Charles Lindbergh has passed FAA certification of its seat belts for its authentic wicker seats it can be substituted if the winner prefers.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 20, 2012 at 8:54 am
    Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:22 am
    Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
    I am on this like a... uh, no, not good comparison, but I am seriously on this, probably early next month after a tasking April paying off my greedy and notoriously hungry uncle .

This is a wonderful way to remember and honor Capt. Dahl.IMO every dollar to the Dahl Fund is also a way of expressing a strong "non illegitimi carborundum" to those who would affect our way of life and to support the Dahl Fund in helping deserving pilots-to-be achieve their goals following in Capt. Dahl's footsteps.

I've only been flying AA ~65 years, so I never flew in the Stinson - my initial AA flights were on DC-3s - but folks here are going to have to work hard to contribute to beat me for a chance to fly in this historical aircraft. I have flown in an ex-AA Ford Trimotor and I want this!
    Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:01 pm

A Great Start

Sunday is winding down and we have $300 in donations to the Capt Jason Dahl Scholarship. My whole purpose in doing this is to keep Capt Dahl's memory alive not just among the United community but throughout the aviation industry.This fund raiser is extending beyond the United Flyer Talkers because the aircraft is a vintage American Airlines aircraft and the ride will be given near MSP in Delta's territory. If you have friends with either American or Delta tell them about Capt Dahl and ask for their support.

Capt Denny
    Old Apr 22, 2012, 8:47 am
    Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
    OK, the heck with Uncle Sam, I've made a donation (I will be out of the USA through May 23 and I do NOT want to miss this opportunity!)

Fellow members, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for you, and a chance to contribute to the opportunity for a young person wanting to embark on a pilot career. For me I'd add the Stinson to my Ford Trimotor (in AA color scheme) and a de Havilland DH-89 "Rapide" experiences.

Hint: Trimotors are excellent environments to wear your NR headsets or noise-blocking earbuds! (Unless you're up front wearing a Bose headset.) This ain't your newfangled pressurized, nicely lined and plush-seated aluminum flyin' sewerpipe.
    Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:33 am
    A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
    I assume that again this year, the winner may donate/gift the ride to someone else?
    Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:42 am

Donate Your Ride

Originally Posted by kipper
    I assume that again this year, the winner may donate/gift the ride to someone else?
    Absolutely Kipper. Who ever you donate it to can also bring along a friend to share the ride. This weekend was a great start for the scholarship fund. We received $1400
    Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Capt Denny
    Absolutely Kipper. Who ever you donate it to can also bring along a friend to share the ride. This weekend was a great start for the scholarship fund. We received $1400
    Ah, so 2 people get the ride. Very nice!!! I'll sneak my donation in on May 11, if that's not too late.

That said, if the total, when I make my donation, doesn't end in a 00, and that can be posted here that morning, I'll make it end in a 00.
    Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
    Ah, so 2 people get the ride. Very nice!!! I'll sneak my donation in on May 11, if that's not too late.

That said, if the total, when I make my donation, doesn't end in a 00, and that can be posted here that morning, I'll make it end in a 00.
    Thanks Kipper. I will give a daily tally on how we are doing and I will be sure to post it early on May 11th. The donations are steadily growing. We are currently at $1800

Capt Denny
    Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Capt Denny
    Thanks Kipper. I will give a daily tally on how we are doing and I will be sure to post it early on May 11th. The donations are steadily growing. We are currently at $1800

Capt Denny
    Thanks. I like round numbers, hence my offer to donate so it is a round number.
    Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
    One of my favorite groups to give to. I'm glad to see the numbers going up and I have no doubt FT can easily get to the $3k mark or better. Donation sent.
    Old Apr 24, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
    Making my way down my inbox I just saw your email Captain- donation sent! ^

(Back to drooling over the sim ride)
    Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:44 pm

Sample of Scholarship Essay

Thank you all for your generous donations. As of this afternoon we are at $2225. Very impressive. I thought I would share with you a sample of one of the scholarship essays we have been receiving over the last month. We announce the winners May 12th.

In May 2010 I had my first chance to fly in a small private plane. This day would change my life forever. My friends dad had a Piper Comanche and he knew that I wanted to be a commercial pilot. He offered to take me flying one Sunday morning. I couldnt Wait. He picked me up at the 2Gl right behind my house. We took off and flew around the lake, did a touch and go, and over my house. I was in love at that moment. We were heading south towards Geauga County Airport to do a landing there.

After We departed from Geauga We Were on our Way back to 2Gl when a bald eagle Went through the right wind screen and grazed my face. We were around 3000 feet descending at about l50KIAS. The bird bounced off the prop and cowling and went right through the glass. After the brief moment of unconsciousness I remember the cold and the wind were the Worst part. There were papers flying everywhere, our headsets were gone, and I
    looked at the pilot and asked if we were going to be ok. He said yes. We landed at Geauga about 5 minutes after the collision. As soon as We landed it was emotional. I asked him if that happens a lot. He said, Are you kidding me? I walked away with a few minor cuts on my face.

Even after that extreme event I still had a love for flying. I wanted more than ever to go back up, and I knew that flying would be a part of me forever. I knew that it was just the beginning to achieving my goal as to becoming an airline pilot. I earned my private pilots license from Kent State just about a year after that. I just received my Instrument rating in December 2011. I am about flights away from my commercial license now. I still have to complete my Multi Engine license and Flight instructor License. To this day the fire inside to fIy is still there when it was the first day I saw the gound get left behind 2 years ago.

Every night I go to bed and every morning I Wake up I am thinking about flying. I live, eat, sleep and ly airplanes. I work at the Kent State Airport part time and I also worked for an airline over the summer. If you were to ask any of the instructors out at the airport if I were dedicated they would absolutely say yes. I am there every single day of the Week trying to further my skills so I can be a better person and pilot. I also am part ofthe Kent State Flight Team. We meet three times per Week. I do not think that you
    will find a more dedicated and passionate student at Kent State about their career. The hardest thing about ying is the cost. When I told my parents that I wanted to get a piIots degree they said it would cost too much. I was heart broken. I found a way to get enough loans and Worked a lot to make ends meet.

Amelia Earhart once said, You havent seen a tree until you have seen its
    shadow from the sky. This quote really does make good sense because the world We know on the ground is very different from the world above it. Seeing the ground from above will change how you think on the ground forever. Being in the air makes you feel that the World below is so small and reminds you not to take anything for granted. One of my favorite parts about flying is that you can go up with several things on your mind that may be bothering you but they will all go away once you start the engine. It wont
    just be a job for me, it will be my passion. I couldnt imagine doing anything else for a career, and I know that Captain Dahl eouldnt either. I strongly feel that he and I share the same love and passion.

Capt Denny
    Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
    Denny, thank you for sharing the essay with us! ^

Last edited by cawhite; Apr 24, 2012 at 7:13 pm
    Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:10 pm
    Original Member

I'm in. What a great cause!
    Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:16 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
    BRT 12 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...-2-2012-a.html has donated $250 to the Captain Jason Dahl Fund, with more to follow.

I hope others will make a donation.
    Additional donations were made by:

dovster
    dhammer53
    iluv2fly

Dan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.