Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

How about a combined FT and MP Kiva DO?

Old Sep 17, 2011, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Kiva is a fantastic organization which makes small loans to people and organizations. It helps promote greater self reliance and fosters the dignity of those who receive a loan.

Two well known frequent flyer sites promote this great cause: Flyertalk and MilePoint.

My question is: why can't both Kiva FT and MP memberships get together for a Kiva DO? a common passion for a common cause

Perhaps held in San Francisco, the city of Kiva HQ. The gathering would create greater awareness of the cause. Kiva gets to know two fantastic groups and the two groups become more aware of this great cause.

A common gathering would create a synergy of awareness and enthousiam for a great cause. The family of frequent flyers would come together to help those in need.

I will recognize up front that "there is some history" between both groups.....but for a cause so noble as Kiva and a great dream to make our world a better place to live, would it not be worth the effort to envisage the possibilty of a common event.

I throw out this idea and await some feedback on the idea. Is there any interest in planning a DO some time in 2012?

"If people who are linked only by a common passion for travel, be it for business or simply pleasure, can reach out with a helping hand, there is indeed hope for the world community to come together in a common human experience of helping each other "

(airbus320 - Address in 2005 to a non profit organization)

Last edited by airbus320; Sep 17, 2011 at 6:59 pm
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Generally I think that's not a bad idea. If there's a possibility of guest speakers such as senior folks from Kiva so we can learn a little more about the ins & outs of how it all actually works, then something good may possibly come of it. And if giblet is available then would be nice to hear actual stories from the "front" as related by an FT'er.

Of possibly greater potential good though would be a Do that coincides with a Microfinance / Microcredit conference. Another possibility would be getting together to see if we, a bunch of folks who arguably travel a little too much, could aid in something like Branchless Banking or something like that. (Sadly, we just missed the conference that was held here in YYZ.)
Old Sep 18, 2011, 1:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I think that is a wonderful idea. Contacts with Kiva have already begun, aimed towards a March 9-10 2012 date.

There is so much common interest between the two groups, including PayPal issues for Frequent Travelers, new countries for Kiva, tax status for Canada and some other countries contributions.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
I think that is a wonderful idea. Contacts with Kiva have already begun, aimed towards a March 9-10 2012 date.

There is so much common interest between the two groups, including PayPal issues for Frequent Travelers, new countries for Kiva, tax status for Canada and some other countries contributions.
The lack of Canadian charitable tax status is a concern to many of us up North. If this could be resolved, I would donate much more to the cause.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Sounds good. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts; Kiva is a wonderful example of how lots of diverse individuals, each doing a small bit, can combine to have a life changing effect not just on individual recipients but on their many communities. So it makes a lot of sense for two good communities (FT and MP) to join together in this endeavor.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Anyone interested in this common venture?

Last edited by airbus320; Sep 19, 2011 at 2:25 pm
Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by airbus320
I conclude that there is not interest in this venture.

Thanks for listening to my pitch.
Give it a little time, don't close the door. There was no weekend interest, but maybe there will be weekday interest. There may be some difference between those who can spend time here weekdays and weekends.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Give it a little time, don't close the door. There was no weekend interest, but maybe there will be weekday interest. There may be some difference between those who can spend time here weekdays and weekends.
i never close the door.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
It is a great idea indeed - it's not about taking credit, it's about giving credit (to Kiva lenders) . As point person on this issue for MilePoint, you have already done some work on this, so that is a good start.

The weekend is usually quite slow here, and of course this is a new forum - we'll see whether this belongs here or in the more currently frequented Community Buzz! as well as what the response is.

Originally Posted by jbcarioca

Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
It is a great idea indeed - it's not about taking credit, it's about giving credit (to Kiva lenders) . As point person on this issue for MilePoint, you have already done some work on this, so that is a good start.

The weekend is usually quite slow here, and of course this is a new forum - we'll see whether this belongs here or in the more currently frequented Community Buzz! as well as what the response is.
Let us see what we can DO together to make our world a better place.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 3:05 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
One important point that get somehow muddled... at Kiva you lend money for free to organizations who then lend it on and repay you later. At no point are you donating money to anyone and the end recipients certainly don't perceive it as a hand out. The mile collector churns the repayment via paypal to get some miles of his credit card.

I really don't get why anyone would feel entitled to get a charitable donation tax break on this.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by oliver2002
One important point that get somehow muddled... at Kiva you lend money for free to organizations who then lend it on and repay you later. At no point are you donating money to anyone and the end recipients certainly don't perceive it as a hand out. The mile collector churns the repayment via paypal to get some miles of his credit card.

I really don't get why anyone would feel entitled to get a charitable donation tax break on this.
Kiva asks for donations with every loan. They are optional, of course, but many people do make contributions to Kiva in addition to their loans. I have contributed many hundreds of dollars to Kiva and am happy to take a deduction against my U.S. and state taxes for doing so.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
And that's pretty much the answer. Thanks for the succinct and very useful reply.

Originally Posted by onthego15
Kiva asks for donations with every loan. They are optional, of course, but many people do make contributions to Kiva in addition to their loans. I have contributed many hundreds of dollars to Kiva and am happy to take a deduction against my U.S. and state taxes for doing so.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
My feeling about the "perks" we get for sharing our $$ - tax deductions for those of us in the U.S. and the opportunity to earn a few miles or points via our CCs - is that they allow and encourage me to make more and more loans.

Of course, the real perks are the ones that my heart gets from the good feelings I have with every loan.

P.S. I love the idea of a combined DO. I've learned so much from both teams.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:32 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by airbus320
Anyone interested in this common venture?
<----- Interested!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.