Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

Have extra soaps & shampoos from your travels?

Have extra soaps & shampoos from your travels?

Old Dec 25, 2011, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
That would be amazing to see how any major hotel chain could justify this?

Wow.. what will they think of next?
They couldn't. It's not as if it would be corporate policy, but if any individual property decided to engage in this practice the saving in shampoo would be far outweighed by the staff time it took to do it. Many hotels do housekeeping on a shoestring salary budget, with maids working quickly just to get the allotted number of rooms done during their shift. No-one's standing around drip-feeding shampoo into into tiny bottles. In fact, just try doing one yourself and see how far you get!
Old Dec 25, 2011, 5:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
I just leave what I don't use.

I don't check luggage anymore so having all the excess liquids is a pain.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by User Name
They couldn't. It's not as if it would be corporate policy, but if any individual property decided to engage in this practice the saving in shampoo would be far outweighed by the staff time it took to do it. Many hotels do housekeeping on a shoestring salary budget, with maids working quickly just to get the allotted number of rooms done during their shift. No-one's standing around drip-feeding shampoo into into tiny bottles. In fact, just try doing one yourself and see how far you get!
Concur.. maybe in regions where material costs far outweigh labor..

perhaps filling bottled shampoos and lotions up is a bit of a myth in NA?..
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:09 pm

Some great ideas on this thread including the OP. Great stuff.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, HH, SPG
Donate to Local Shelter

When I bring them along home, I usually donate the shampoos and such to our local shelters.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
Here at McCarran airport (LAS) there's a USO bin at the D gate check point. People can donate travel size toiletries. I'm sure USO lounges will accept them as well.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:30 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
I dont see the need to take unused soap and shampoo from the hotel. The cost is so small that it is not worth taking it. However, I do tend to take my used soap and shampoo. Soap is so cheap that I can buy some regular sized soap and donate those if I have to.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:26 pm

Programs: US Airways, Silver United, Gold Hilton, Platinum Marriott, Gold SPG
We send it to our relatives in Russia and Ukraine
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:20 pm

Programs: Delta SM
extra amenity kits

Originally Posted by ldsant
http://cleantheworld.org/donate-soap-and-shampoo.asp

What a great way to declutter your cupboards and help people out who really need it.
This is great. I actually collect the kits and then give them to the homeless population I work with and more recently give them out to soldiers serving overseas. I dont know why they all love them, but they do.
I will try to post pictures of my giving them out, its pretty cool giving them out at an outpost to a guy wearing full camo/gear. They love them!!!

On that note, if you do have extras laying around and want them to go to a good cause, you can send them to me and I'll make sure they are given to the people who need them most :-)
-George
[email protected]
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:17 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Hotels have to throw out all unused soap/shampoo from each room. However most properties engage a local shelter to give the "used" soap to... The truely used soaps are thrown away.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:00 pm

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Most airports have a USO lounge so I drop them off when I have a layover or before leaving airport. Less to carry than taking home and then to shelter.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:08 pm

A few times I have seen open shampoos on top on the rims of the plastic walls in the bath tubs, used and opened. But always when I go to the hotels/motels, they are always new and have the little tab showing they were never used.

Then I just take the shampoos home with me for my collection. Then sometimes I donate them to friends who are homeless or don't have a lot of money for amenities.

But I really want to know what they do with the opened ones. I hope they don't throw them away and give them to charity. I think it was on Undercover Boss, there was a guy (I think in Chicago) that found a guy who collects them from hotels and gives them to the needy.

Start a box at your child's school and collect them for the kids who need them!
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Save them to give out on Halloween. They are a treat no child will ever forget!

Old Feb 6, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: aa
I will like to donate to this cause
Old Mar 3, 2013, 12:52 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by dhammer53
I stopped taking these years ago. I'm saving the environment by not having the hotel replace these things.
Ditto that.

Gosh, I sure hope the hundreds of amenity items I left untouched didn't get tossed. I need to check into that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.