2014 London Marathon - Children with Cancer UK

Old Oct 9, 2013, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels

Hi All,

I've committed to running the 2014 London Marathon on the Children with Cancer UK team.

I chose this charity for a couple of reasons.

- Prior to moving to the UK, I taught middle and high school in Atlanta. Two of our school's families were affected by leukemia. Both young men fought through treatment, completed middle/high school and went on to university level studies. Unfortunately, we lost one of them a couple of years ago and, shortly thereafter, one of his brothers died of another illness.

- One of my friend's son was diagnosed at the age of 8, roughly two years ago now and he continues the ups and downs of treatment, but, even at a young age is a real trooper. CHOA in Atlanta has been phenomenal. Half of his family comes from Scotland so they have strong ties to the Isle I currently reside on.

Cancer is a travesty for friends and family alike. I hope what is a relatively small contribution, along with 26.2 miles of sweat and gumption in a city I love dearly, will help make the lives of those facing cancer easier.

This is my second time running for Children with Cancer UK - 26.2 miles might seem to be a long way, but not nearly the marathon fight those diagnosed face.

Thanks for your consideration!
robin

LINK
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:53 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'm in for a great cause.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thumbs up Many Thanks!

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'm in for a great cause.
Thank you - your support is appreciated!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Smile Oct. 16, 2013 - Update

Hi All!

An update! To date, I've raised Ł162.16. 179 days until the race and Ł1837.84 to go!

THANK YOU to those who have contributed thus far. Also, this past weekend,

I ran the Perkins Great Eastern Run in Peterborough, UK; it was a personal best time for me despite quite a bit of rain.

I'm hoping to complete the Virgin London Marathon in less than 5 hours next April!
Old Oct 28, 2013, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Smile Oct. 28, 2013 - Update

Hello from a blustery UK...although the rain is gone and we're down to wind!

Well, 166 days to go!

I surpassed 10% of my goal today! Currently at Ł271.54 (before donations at work today in exchange for Krispy Kreme Doughnuts...conveniently located at LHR T5 when I returned last night)!

Well past 10%.

Thank you to those who have donated - your support is appreciated!!
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:35 am

I urge all fellow FT'ers to support rwoman for a terrific cause where they feel able to do so.
This is a tremendous and worthy project.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I'm actually running my first marathon in a few weeks. You've got my full support for such a good cause Good luck!
Old Nov 23, 2013, 4:03 am

Programs: Lufthansa, United, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
Happy to help another FlyerTalker with a worthy endeavor. Cheers and Good Luck ^
Old Nov 23, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AussieOzzie
Happy to help another FlyerTalker with a worthy endeavor. Cheers and Good Luck ^
Thank you for your support and contribution!!
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Smile December 3, 2013 - Update

Hello Fellow FTers!

A quick update!

Over Thanksgiving week, I was in Southern California and Atlanta. On Thanksgiving, I had the opportunity to run the United Run for the Hungry 10k in San Diego.

The race helped fund the Jacobs & Cushman San Diego Food Bank and the Jewish Family Service's Foodmobile. Annually, the Jacobs & Cushman San Diego Food Bank distributes food for more than 10 million meals. Foodmobile delivers more than 28,000 hot meals to the elderly and homebound.

It was a gorgeous day for a 10k and I had a personal best (1h1m4s)...so I'm getting closer to breaking an hour for the 10k! After my disastrous half earlier in November, this was really great!

In the next two weeks, dedicated training for the Virgin London Marathon begins!

I've also booked the BATHALF in Bath, UK (great city!) for March 2, 2014 in preparation for the marathon.

Thanks again for your support!

robin
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Smile Update - Happy New Year! Sometimes you just have to get out there!

Happy 2014 fellow FTers!

As of today, I'm 101 days away from the London Marathon. What does that mean? RUNNING (or jogging) nearly everywhere I go!

I'd wanted to see NYC Christmas Lights and (finally) made it this past weekend. While Saturday afternoon around Rockerfeller Center was a MESS, 6am Sunday was JUST fine!

Only a handful of people around:

Now that I'm home in the UK for a couple of weeks, it's time to run on the relatively flat roads around where I live. Sometimes in the rain or cold and always in the dark...at least for another couple of months.

Tonight, I DID NOT want to get out there and do any miles, but got dressed and headed out anyway.

Happy girl after 4 miles (and done!):

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and has a very wonderful 2014!

robin
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Smile Update - Jan. 24, 2014

Wow - 78 days to go!

So far, I'm approaching 25% of my goal, with current contributions totaling Ł404.09!

My sincere thanks to those who've supported my cause!!

Training has taken a hiccup the past couple of weeks due to being sick; at about 90% now and looking forward to returning to the groove of training!

Have a great weekend everyone!

My jog (meander?!) this past Saturday morning was across Manhattan...and a bit of the Brooklyn Bridge!

Grainy lower Manhattan behind me:
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

February 4, 2014 - World Cancer Day

In honor of those who have fought and won (or lost ) the battle against cancer:

I'd also like to make a quick acknowledgement of Jeff, a son from one of the families at the school I taught at in metro Atlanta. I taught his younger brother (who died a few months later). The 6th anniversary of Jeff's death (from leukemia) was last week. His name will be proudly written on my tank top (vest as the Brits call it) on race day.

Word Cancer Day - debunk the myths!
http://www.worldcancerday.org/

Last edited by rwoman; Feb 4, 2014 at 3:16 pm
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Smile Update - Feb. 10, 2014

Hi All,

Well, just under 9 weeks to go (HOLY MOLY!) until the marathon!! It's hard to believe it's quickly inching closer!!

I hit 10 miles yesterday. After a couple of weeks out due to illness last month, I'm building back up again. I have the bathalf in Bath two weeks from Sunday, which should be good. Let's hope there's minimal wind and rain!

Yesterday's training run involved ~30MPH winds on the first half and a nice "tail wind" on the way home.

Lots of "swells" at the nearby lake that is normally very calm:

Thanks again to those supporting my cause! I really appreciate it!

robin
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Good luck and godspeed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.