Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

The FlyerTalk BOINC Team: Donate your computer's idle time for research!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal

:-: Donate your unused processor cycles for research! :-:

Get started:
  1. Download BOINC here
  2. Find one or more projects whose goals interest you from this page* (here's another, more comprehensive, page with some descriptions, and here's a Wikipedia page as well--pick from the projects with the green "yes" under the "BOINC based" column)
    • *If you have a compatible ATI or NVIDIA graphics card, choose at least one project with the appropriate logo to take advantage of your GPU's extra horsepower
Then:

Without an account manager
  1. In BOINC, click "Add Project" and choose the project from the list. If a project is not listed, enter the URL of the project's website
  2. Log in to your account on each project's website, search for a team named FlyerTalk, and click join
  3. Repeat for any additional projects you have joined

OR: with an account manager:
(An account manager allows easier control of multiple projects and/or multiple computers)
  1. Register with an account manager (BAM, GridRepublic)
  2. Log into the account manager and select projects to join (detailed steps for BAM, GridRepublic)
  3. Join the FlyerTalk team for each of your projects in the account manager
  4. From within BOINC, click "Add Project" and choose to add an account manager. Enter the details of your account manager, and everything else will start automatically!
Print Wikipost

The FlyerTalk BOINC Team: Donate your computer's idle time for research!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Plat
Originally Posted by beckoa
*Team FlyerTalk has been chosen as the BOINCstats/BAM! team of the day!*

- thanks jackal

I think I'll need a new computer before continuing on this project, as my laptop is either loosing its HD or a fan (more have been ordered)
EXCELLENT NEWS! Keep up the good work! Did we win a prize?
Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:46 pm

I had taken a hiatus but i'm back. I forgot which e-mail I used to sign up so I have 2 accounts but both use the same username.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by mattk
EXCELLENT NEWS! Keep up the good work! Did we win a prize?
Just another post

Fan is repaired- upgraded to 1 TB harddrive (3 platters so used duct tape to hold the cover on one side and upgraded to 4 gigs of ram. My processor is still a bit (ie- basic models now are the same as my uuber fast one 3 yrs ago) so may not commit - but could show up again in the future once I complete my Windows 7 install (yeah- ditched Vista finally )
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:34 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Just saw this thread and re-started grid computing. Just added the wife's desktop, my work laptop and all three kids laptops. All of them added to a BAM account, which is working:
  • Collatz
  • Einstein
  • Rosetta
  • SETI
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Just saw this thread and re-started grid computing. Just added the wife's desktop, my work laptop and all three kids laptops. All of them added to a BAM account, which is working:
  • Collatz
  • Einstein
  • Rosetta
  • SETI
Awesome! Welcome to the team! ^
Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sorry for the late notice, but we were the BOINCStats/BAM Team of the Day yesterday! Way to go, Team FlyerTalk! ^
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:58 am

Just another post

Fan is repaired- upgraded to 1 TB harddrive (3 platters so used duct tape to hold the cover on one side and upgraded to 4 gigs of ram. My processor is still a bit (ie- basic models now are the same as my uuber fast one 3 yrs ago) so may not commit - but could show up again in the future once I complete my Windows 7 install (yeah- ditched Vista finally )
It's all about the processor. The more cores you have the more tasks you can do simultaneously.
My work laptop has a dual core and my home computer has quad core + ATI GPU so I'm running 6 tasks at a time, 1 of which can be a GPU one. I bought a compact desktop so I couldn't buy a nice GPU, but it gets the job done.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:34 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Thumbs up Team FlyerTalk on BOINC

[FONT="Courier New"]*Team FlyerTalk has been chosen as the BOINCstats/BAM! team of the day!* ...
Awesome news.

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Just saw this thread and re-started grid computing...
Originally Posted by gj83
I had taken a hiatus but i'm back. I forgot which e-mail I used to sign up so I have 2 accounts but both use the same username.
Welcome back!

I've got 3 desktops to which I've access setup with it, running for 12hrs/day with no noticable effects other than computing awesomeness. Keep it up, team.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Richard Chen
Awesome news.

Welcome back!

I've got 3 desktops to which I've access setup with it, running for 12hrs/day with no noticable effects other than computing awesomeness. Keep it up, team.
Thanks for the link to beckoa's post upthread. I was pretty sure we'd been selected before but couldn't remember. Should have looked here first!

So, we've rocked TWICE now!
Old Dec 18, 2010, 1:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal
Thanks for the link to beckoa's post upthread. I was pretty sure we'd been selected before but couldn't remember. Should have looked here first!

So, we've rocked TWICE now!

yup- was surprised to see we were the 'team of the day' twice... wonder why.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:11 am

Just another post

Well givin' her a spin again... but don't want to cook my machine... kinda noisy runnin full power...
Old Mar 9, 2011, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Congratulations to Team FlyerTalk--we've passed the 1 million credit mark! ^
Closing in on ten million credits! Wahoo! We're in the top 2% of teams!

Also, sorry to have forgotten to announce it, but last month was our one-year anniversary as a BOINC team. ^ Congrats to all of those who have stuck it out for the whole last year as well as those who have joined more recently!
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Plat
Closing in on ten million credits! Wahoo! We're in the top 2% of teams!

Also, sorry to have forgotten to announce it, but last month was our one-year anniversary as a BOINC team. ^ Congrats to all of those who have stuck it out for the whole last year as well as those who have joined more recently!
Excellent news! It also reminds me that I must restart Boinc... ^
Old Apr 19, 2014, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Forgot that BOINC makes a good stress test. (For a computer, that is.)

Had Dell replace the motherboard (and a few other components) on my laptop yesterday, since it kept shutting down due to overheating. So, last night, I decided to put the machine through its paces and run hot all night just to make sure everything was good.

So, what did I have on my computer that could do such a thing? Why, BOINC, of course! I hadn't run it in probably a year, but it was still installed on my machine, so a quick flip of the switch and it was off to the races.

It passed with flying colors when I woke up this morning. Of course, crunching work all night, I thought, "Hmm, maybe I'll have some new credit," which of course led me to seek out this thread to check the stats posted at the top. I then decided to take a few minutes and wikify the thread with the stats images and some quick-start instructions for anyone else who wants to join us in advancing the frontiers of science!

Happy computing!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for the woodwork, the reminder and a good idea for putter our machines to the test!

Ditto for the updated thread title: The FlyerTalk BOINC Team: Donate your computer's idle time for research!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.