Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

The FlyerTalk BOINC Team: Donate your computer's idle time for research!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal

:-: Donate your unused processor cycles for research! :-:

Get started:
  1. Download BOINC here
  2. Find one or more projects whose goals interest you from this page* (here's another, more comprehensive, page with some descriptions, and here's a Wikipedia page as well--pick from the projects with the green "yes" under the "BOINC based" column)
    • *If you have a compatible ATI or NVIDIA graphics card, choose at least one project with the appropriate logo to take advantage of your GPU's extra horsepower
Then:

Without an account manager
  1. In BOINC, click "Add Project" and choose the project from the list. If a project is not listed, enter the URL of the project's website
  2. Log in to your account on each project's website, search for a team named FlyerTalk, and click join
  3. Repeat for any additional projects you have joined

OR: with an account manager:
(An account manager allows easier control of multiple projects and/or multiple computers)
  1. Register with an account manager (BAM, GridRepublic)
  2. Log into the account manager and select projects to join (detailed steps for BAM, GridRepublic)
  3. Join the FlyerTalk team for each of your projects in the account manager
  4. From within BOINC, click "Add Project" and choose to add an account manager. Enter the details of your account manager, and everything else will start automatically!
Print Wikipost

The FlyerTalk BOINC Team: Donate your computer's idle time for research!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: WorldPerks Platinum, OnePass Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jackal
Welcome to new team member kendrasa!

And --we were featured in TalkMail! If you came here because of that mention, join the team and say hello!
Hello! I just joined the project ClimatePrediction.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:29 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by tamminh
Hello! I just joined the project ClimatePrediction.
Hello backatcha!!

Welcome to the team.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Just a note: If you have a compatible graphics card, joining a GPU-enabled project is a great way to help boost our Team FlyerTalk position! I've been letting my GPU at work crunch on Collatz Conjecture (the only project that works with my particular ATI GPU), and it's been helping us out substantially.

Instructions for how to do this are in the link above, but the first key is to open your BOINC client, look at the Messages tab or window, scroll to the top, and look about 10-15 lines down for a mention of a compatible GPU. You should see either "ATI GPU," "NVIDIA GPU," or "No usable GPUs found." If you have a GPU, then attach to one of the projects listed in the above link and watch your recent average credit soar!

I'm also going to add this note to the first post.
debonairy's recent average credit has jumped up to 1,000 literally overnight. Anyone else have a compatible graphics card?

You can join a project with a GPU-enabled application and crunch that on your GPU while continuing to crunch your other preferred projects (Climate Prediction, WCG, etc.) on your CPU for the best of both worlds!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 7:28 pm

Registering from Facebook?

I found out about this some time ago from Facebook and have been running some projects since. IIRC, BOINC came with some default programs (climateprediction, rosetta, and malariacontrol). Is it possible to use the credits I've gotten as "facebook user" and join a team without losing those credits? I've got about 25k credits and would love to join the FT team!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
I found out about this some time ago from Facebook and have been running some projects since. IIRC, BOINC came with some default programs (climateprediction, rosetta, and malariacontrol). Is it possible to use the credits I've gotten as "facebook user" and join a team without losing those credits? I've got about 25k credits and would love to join the FT team!
Joining a team does not affect your personal credits at all, so feel free to join! Just go to the website of each project you currently participate in, log into your account, and look for the "Search for teams" link and type in FlyerTalk. Your credits will stay your own.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 8:03 pm

The thing is, I don't have an account with each of the projects. The only account I have is my facebook. Is there some way for me to create accounts with each of the projects and transfer the credits to those accounts? I believe I am technically running Progress thru Processors (this is where I got it from: http://www.facebook.com/progressthruprocessors).
Old Apr 25, 2010, 8:15 pm

The thing is, I don't have an account with each of the projects. The only account I have is my facebook. Is there some way for me to create accounts with each of the projects and transfer the credits to those accounts? I believe I am technically running Progress thru Processors (this is where I got it from: http://www.facebook.com/progressthruprocessors).
I don't use facebook so I can't help with your question but your reluctance to part with your credits make me wonder if there is a use for them other than as a way to keep score?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ah. I'm not entirely sure, since while that project appears to have been done in collaboration with BOINC, it seems to be separate from BOINC.

I did some searching, though, and I've seen some hints that it may be able to interface wtih BOINC. It also seems to be based on GridRepublic. If you can log in at the GridRepublic website, which does seem to interface with BOINC, maybe we can then get your data imported into BOINC proper.

I'll do some more research into this and see what we can come up with.

Last edited by jackal; Apr 25, 2010 at 10:26 pm Reason: typo!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 8:54 pm

It also seems to be based on GridRepublic. If you can log in at the GridRepublic website, which does seem to interface with BOINC, maybe we can the get your data imported into BOINC proper.
Thanks for the help. I was able to poke around some under the hood and I'm now registered with GridRepublic. It doesn't seem to recognize my work yet, but I'll let it run overnight and see if it picks up then (I typically only run it when the computer idle). Hope to be contributing to the FT team soon!

Originally Posted by debonairy
but your reluctance to part with your credits make me wonder if there is a use for them other than as a way to keep score?
If only! It's mostly personal preference, I like to keep records Now, if these could be used for say, FF miles, then I might have a different stance.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:47 am

If the credits can be converted into FF miles then team Flyertalk will shoot to the top in no time at all
Old Apr 26, 2010, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Congratulations to Team FlyerTalk--we've passed the 1 million credit mark! ^
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Congratulations to Team FlyerTalk--we've passed the 1 million credit mark! ^
I saw that ^^

Amazing...

I think SETI on one machine overheated it, and it subsequently shut itself down. It's apparently happened three times...
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
I saw that ^^

Amazing...

I think SETI on one machine overheated it, and it subsequently shut itself down. It's apparently happened three times...
It might be time to clean your computer because the dust built up inside may be having an adverse effect on the cooling system. I've had a laptop die on me because I put off cleaning it till the next week and the GPU got fried before I got around to it. The laptop was shutting down on its own due to overheating issues like your computer.

The best way to clean is to open up the computer and use a mixture of 50% water and 50% isopropyl alchohol. Use a clean lint-free cloth like those used for cleaning spectacles and try to use light dabs of the cleaning mixture and not make the cloth too wet. Usually the fans will be the dirtiest followed by the heatsink. Give some time for things to dry before replacing the computer case and switching it on.

Alternatively, you can use a can of compressed air to blow the dust away but this doesn't work so well for me. Hold the fan blades still by using a pencil or toothpick and try to blow such that the dust flies out instead of into the computer.

If you are using a laptop then placing a book under the side with the screen so that the bottom is angled off your desk will also help a little with cooling.

Hope this helps
Old Apr 29, 2010, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

debonairy has almost caught me in RAC--he's at just under 7k and I'm just under 8k. I fear he may soon pass me!

It's a testament, though, to how powerful GPU processing is. If anyone else has a compatible GPU (see my post upthread), PLEASE consider joining a project that will crunch work on your GPU. It will really help our numbers!

And a belated welcome to new team member MattKyte.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Plat
debonairyAnd a belated welcome to new team member MattKyte.
Thanks! I'm going to play around with the projects I have running, my SETI project is connected to the team but my ABC@home isn't. Any ideas as half of my processing is not being credited...

On the subject of enabled GPUs and MacPros what cards are compatible? My 2009 quad has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 but this isn't enabled. Also noticed with the new Flash 10.1 beta/alpha for Mac that it uses compatible GPUs as well and mine isn't on there. Maybe time for an upgrade...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.