Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

The FlyerTalk BOINC Team: Donate your computer's idle time for research!

Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal

:-: Donate your unused processor cycles for research! :-:

Get started:
  1. Download BOINC here
  2. Find one or more projects whose goals interest you from this page* (here's another, more comprehensive, page with some descriptions, and here's a Wikipedia page as well--pick from the projects with the green "yes" under the "BOINC based" column)
    • *If you have a compatible ATI or NVIDIA graphics card, choose at least one project with the appropriate logo to take advantage of your GPU's extra horsepower
Then:

Without an account manager
  1. In BOINC, click "Add Project" and choose the project from the list. If a project is not listed, enter the URL of the project's website
  2. Log in to your account on each project's website, search for a team named FlyerTalk, and click join
  3. Repeat for any additional projects you have joined

OR: with an account manager:
(An account manager allows easier control of multiple projects and/or multiple computers)
  1. Register with an account manager (BAM, GridRepublic)
  2. Log into the account manager and select projects to join (detailed steps for BAM, GridRepublic)
  3. Join the FlyerTalk team for each of your projects in the account manager
  4. From within BOINC, click "Add Project" and choose to add an account manager. Enter the details of your account manager, and everything else will start automatically!
Print Wikipost

The FlyerTalk BOINC Team: Donate your computer's idle time for research!

Old May 11, 2010, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by UNHBuzzard
Jumping in on this. Starting w/ SETI, s/b adding a few others later on this week.
Great! Welcome to the team! ^
Old May 12, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Plat
Originally Posted by jackal
Turn the screen off.

Or attempt to convince her that leaving it running all the time actually reduces wear and tear on the machine, since the parts are not repeatedly expanding and contracting from constant heating up and cooling down. (Hey, there is some truth to that! )
Truth, yes but I'll think I'd rather outsource that message giving to you jackal!
Old May 12, 2010, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Uh oh, boss discovered BOINC running on his computer. Fortunately, I was able to convince him that donating computer cycles to cure cancer was a worthy cause...
Old May 14, 2010, 3:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal
Uh oh, boss discovered BOINC running on his computer. Fortunately, I was able to convince him that donating computer cycles to cure cancer was a worthy cause...

Similar thing was discovered @ home... and a reinstall of boinc on my laptop did not fare well (and have not had time to troubleshoot it yet)...
Old May 17, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
Finally have it figured out how to attach projects to the project manager. Now I can get my work & other misc home computers running this BOINC. Any programs you recommend? The website & project descriptions aren't very user friendly outside of the SETI one.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UNHBuzzard
Finally have it figured out how to attach projects to the project manager. Now I can get my work & other misc home computers running this BOINC. Any programs you recommend? The website & project descriptions aren't very user friendly outside of the SETI one.
Here are some decent lists of various projects:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ng_.28BOINC.29
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Project_list

At the top of the first post (in the stats graphics), you can see what many of the rest of us are running, but I'm sure you'll find something you enjoy contributing to in one of those links.
Old May 24, 2010, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Congratulations, Team FlyerTalk--we've passed the two million credit mark! This puts us in 3,836th place out of 87,498 other teams. And believe it or not (largely thanks to debonairy's willingness to use a GPU-enabled project--hint, hint!), we are #549 out of 87,555 teams in recent credit. If even one more person adds a GPU-enabled project, we have a shot at getting into the top 100!
Old May 24, 2010, 6:42 pm

Wow congratulations to everyone. We're really moving forward now.

debonairy what are you packing there? 22k RAC is impressive!
Old May 25, 2010, 7:52 pm

Congratulations everyone!

My CPU is i7-720qm and GPU is ATI mobility radeon hd5870.
Old May 26, 2010, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by debonairy
My CPU is i7-720qm and GPU is ATI mobility radeon hd5870.
In a laptop right? That is really packing out the units! Makes my MacPro look like toast...
Old May 26, 2010, 7:32 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent/MR Gold/ HH Diamond/National/MGM/Amex
Just stumbled on this today and loaded up the program. My laptop is a few years old but every little bit helps!
^ to the everyone for getting this team going!
Old May 26, 2010, 8:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by wonderbret
Just stumbled on this today and loaded up the program. My laptop is a few years old but every little bit helps!
Agreed.

Thanks.
Old May 26, 2010, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wonderbret
Welcome!
Old May 27, 2010, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by mattk
In a laptop right? That is really packing out the units! Makes my MacPro look like toast...
Yes its a laptop. Bought it about 3 months ago. I suspect most people don't need one as fast or as big(17.3").

Welcome wonderbret!
Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by debonairy
Yes its a laptop. Bought it about 3 months ago. I suspect most people don't need one as fast or as big(17.3").
It must be on fire too based on your stats! Must get myself a new graphics card...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.