Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most convenient way from MIA to FLL?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 6:29 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by TravelFlea
Super Shuttle says they can't pick up at FLL or drop there because of contract issues. I looked into car rental to pick up at FLL and drop at MIA the next morning, but it's over $80 for those few hours. Advice here seems to be generally unsupportive of using tri-rail. Any other thoughts about how to get quickly, easily & inexpensively between FLL and MIA?
If you've got the time to deal with Tri-Rail's limited frequencies and general commuter-rail-ness, it'll be fine and definitely the cheapest option.
Old May 7, 2011, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by TravelFlea
Super Shuttle says they can't pick up at FLL or drop there because of contract issues. I looked into car rental to pick up at FLL and drop at MIA the next morning, but it's over $80 for those few hours. Advice here seems to be generally unsupportive of using tri-rail. Any other thoughts about how to get quickly, easily & inexpensively between FLL and MIA?
SuperShuttle doesn't serve FLL departures, because a local company has a virtual monopoly on such operations. The shuttle service is called GoShuttle, and they do run from FLL to MIA:

(disclaimer: I've never taken them, so have no idea as to the safety, quality and reliabity of the sevice - I'm just making you and others aware of the service):

http://www.floridalimo.com/

Originally Posted by BonzoESC
If you've got the time to deal with Tri-Rail's limited frequencies and general commuter-rail-ness, it'll be fine and definitely the cheapest option.
This is really it, in a nutshell.

I'd use "cautionary" as an alternative to "unsupportive" - the issue is that too many visitors (especially first-timers) envision a seamless journey between the airports, with a train levaing every few minutes and with the stations only steps from the terminals. Besides the weekday commuter-service orientation tht BonzoESC accurately points out, the location of the stations is dictated by the fact that Tri-Rail runs on borrowed tracks (the CSX freight system, to be exact). This means that shuttle busses must be used between the stations and the terminals.

Anyone intent on using TriRail simply needs to carefully check the schedules (and also to remember to factor in the shuttle/wait times at both ends of the ride. For someone with plenty of time to spare and with a modicum of patience, and who is traveling during weekday communte times, it's quite doable. Others, not so much.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA AS DL UA US WN Choice Gold, BW Diamond, PClub Plat, HHonnors Gold, Marriott, Carlson Gold
The Tri-Rail site shows that they do not stop at the MIA station due to construction that will take 2 years to complete. They are using a shuttle to get to the next station instead. I need to travel between MIA and FLL on a Sunday in November (13th). My flight is at 5:50pm from FLL. What kind of a lead time would I need to get there in time? I can be very flexible with the departure from MIA, 1pm? Earlier?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by iang000
The Tri-Rail site shows that they do not stop at the MIA station due to construction that will take 2 years to complete. They are using a shuttle to get to the next station instead. I need to travel between MIA and FLL on a Sunday in November (13th). My flight is at 5:50pm from FLL. What kind of a lead time would I need to get there in time? I can be very flexible with the departure from MIA, 1pm? Earlier?
I think 1pm is more than safe - but check the weekend Tri-Rail schedule as well as any shuttle bus schedules on the tri-rail.com site to make sure you don't miss a train and need to wait 60-90 minutes.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by iang000
That sounds like a good way to spend several hours bored at FLL, but with weekend train schedules, that might be the best choice when taking the train. The first time I tri-railed from Hialeah Market to FLL I missed the train by seconds, and got to spend an hour at the platform on a sunny April afternoon. The second time I gave myself fifteen minutes at the station and that wasn't bad.

If I had to make the trip today, I'd probably bribe a friend with a nice whisky or bottle of wine Failing that, call a car company or rent a thing for $40 (hotwire blind booking) and drive it myself.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:22 pm

Perfect thanks a ton

Originally Posted by keisari
rent a one way car.
not sure how much that is.
is you have frequent renter number, the car is waiting for you at FLL and you just drive and it is a quick return on the other end.
You can even stop and have a great cuban coffee along the way if you have time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.