Reload this Page >

S FL electricity shut down

Old Feb 26, 2008, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold

What's the effect on air traffic? Nothing on the news except driving and homes being involved
Old Feb 26, 2008, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
FlightStats shows no cancellations at MIA between noon and 3PM, and no spate of cancellations at this time for the 3PM-6PM block.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 2:36 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion in our Travel->Florida forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz
Old Feb 27, 2008, 2:55 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
I will fly tomorrow to TPA via CLT. Is there everything OK with the airports ?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by szg
I will fly tomorrow to TPA via CLT. Is there everything OK with the airports ?
Everything is fine. The power was 100% restored by 5:30 yesterday evening. No air traffic was affected anywhere in the state.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Everything is fine. The power was 100% restored by 5:30 yesterday evening. No air traffic was affected anywhere in the state.
what happens? I thought the electricity has been shutdown in South Florida? Is that FLL is everything normal situation but, it has no major delays or diverted at South Florida instead of PBI or MIA.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by N830MH
what happens? I thought the electricity has been shutdown in South Florida? Is that FLL is everything normal situation but, it has no major delays or diverted at South Florida instead of PBI or MIA.
The short explanation of what happened: Just after 13:00 local time, a repairman at a West Kendall (suburb of Miami) substation inadvertently caused the shutdown of a section of that substation, which in turn triggered major portions of the regional power grid to automatically shut down. Most areas that did suffer a loss of power were back up within 30-45 minutes, and all power was back by 17:30.

I live in downtown Fort Lauderdale, 3 miles from FLL, and my home and my neighborhood area never lost power. I heard the director of operations at FLL on the radio saying that FLL was completely unaffected by the outage - that in fact teir problem was the riple effect of the bad weather in other parts of the country. I'm not sure about MIA, but I suspect that generators would have provided sufficient power for the short duration of any outage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.