Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

ONE DAY for a beach -- which to choose?

Old Feb 2, 2008, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN or DL; Hyatt or Wyndham

On my trip to Orlando at Spring Break, I will have just 1 day for beach for me & wife & 6 y/o and 8 y/o. Trying to choose between Cocoa Beach & Clearwater Beach.

Positives for Clearwater: I've been there; I know it is nice; objective data show air & water on average a bit warmer than Atlantic in March; I've heard less spring break traffic.

Positives for Cocoa: much closer (save 2+ hours RT driving since we are staying at MCO airport hotel); proximity of Kennedy Space Center if it rains and we have to substitute an activity.

What I don't know is the "niceness" of Cocoa Beach or whether it will be overwhelmed by Spring Breakers (which I DO NOT want with my family).

So those in the know -- which should I choose? I'm leaning towards Cocoa, key factor being driving distance.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 4:59 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My vote would be for Clearwater. Much nicer sand.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
My vote would be for one of the Disney waterparks. Both Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach are amazing places, closer to you, cleaner and safer than a "real" beach, and offer a lot more to do. Of course the entry fee will set you back a bit, but I think you and your family will have the most fun there.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I made the mistake of calling my bus driver a beach in third grade. I got in trouble, and have learned that it's not a nice thing to say.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
My vote would be for one of the Disney waterparks. Both Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach are amazing places, closer to you, cleaner and safer than a "real" beach, and offer a lot more to do. Of course the entry fee will set you back a bit, but I think you and your family will have the most fun there.
That makes some sense...except, we have "water parks" here in St. Louis and other places we travel to from time to time. I guess to me, to fly to Florida and go to a water park...is like flying there and going to eat seafood at Red Lobster.

I want the ocean...the smell of salt...gulls...natural sand...and the chance of something weird biting you on the toe. But good suggestion otherwise.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I understand, and so I offered my suggestion with the foreknowledge that it probably wasn't what you were looking for. My last gasp, though, will be to point out that comparing your water parks at home to Disney's would be much the same as saying you don't have to go to the Magic Kingdom or EPCOT because you have a county fair and carnival at home too.

Based on the desire for a REAL beach experience, I would actually vote for Clearwater. I used to live in Melbourne and rarely went to the beach (Cocoa or otherwise) because the water's so cold and, to be honest, the beach areas are pretty trashy. I have better memories of going to the beach on the Gulf coast when I was a kid...
Old Feb 3, 2008, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
As you mentioned, the water at the Gulf beaches tends to be warmer than the Atlantic, although both are a couple degrees below 70 right now, according to local surf shop surf reports.

The Atlantic also tends to have bigger waves, although that is very variable.

I would think that Clearwater would have more spring breakers than Cocoa. If you avoid the central Cocoa/Pier area, there is lots of beach that is not near hotels and such. See my post #4 of this thread for suggestions on where to park.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Clearwater is a nicer beach, but if you only have one day Cocoa is much closer to Orlando which means you will waste less time getting there and back.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 3:36 pm

I used to live in Melbourne and went to the beaches (anything from Cocoa Bch down to Sebastian inlet) for some surfing all the time. There are many beaches for "locals" with free parkings. Head south on A1A for less crowded beaches.

I agree with everyone that Clearwater is a nicer beach with more things to do but will probably be more crowded.

Drew
Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:10 pm

Programs: DSM, USDM, BAEC, AAAdvan
I live here in Pinellas County (St Petersburg/Clearwater). I can personally vouch for the fact that during spring break, Clearwater Beach is jammed. Avoid it like the plague, especially with a family in tow.

I have attended several conferences at Cocoa Beach, and I love that beach. It's not very crowded at all, structures along the road are not built on top of each other, and there is a lot more beach.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:23 pm

Programs: Super-Titanium member of the Gate Roach program. :P
Of the two, I like Clearwater (and all the west coast beaches) over the east coast beaches since the beaches are nicer overall. But if I only had one day, Cocoa is still a great beach to go to and there are plenty of activities to do if it gets too rainy or crowded for you. The difference between the two beaches aren't huge, and since time is an issue, I would choose Cocoa.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 9:37 am

Programs: AA,CO, DL,FL,WN.US
Clearwater beach is very crowded during spring break, the traffic is very bad although the new bridge helps somewhat.I'd recommend over all others Ft. Desoto County Park about the same distance as Clw. beach, it's the last exit thru St.Pete before the Sunshine Skyway (I-275) ,the Pinellas Bayway exit and follow the signs.One of the best beaches in the world, I've been going there since I was a kid, my kids all love it as do I still.
Realistically, Cocoa and beaches south of there will be a lot more convenient for you, though.Just hit A1A and head south.Sebastian Inlet is very nice, we like going there when on the east coast.High surf for sure!
Old Feb 5, 2008, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all. Sebastian Inlet actually sounds perfect (I like a little rough water), except ..... per google maps, R/T driving times.

MCO-Cocoa 2 hrs
MCO-Sebastian 3 hrs 15 min
MCO-Clearwater 4 hrs

So Sebastian is damn near as far as Clearwater.

So with time being a major factor on the day trip, Cocoa still looks like a good bet.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA,CO, DL,FL,WN.US
I have to agree, Cocoa is your easiest place to go, as traffic from Orlando on I-4/I-275 and SR60(Gulf to Bay) to get to Clearwater Beach is difficult and spring break will make that worse. Take the Greenway (toll road) to Cocoa , your backup plan is great, my kids have loved visiting KSC.The Greenway will get you there pretty quickly from the Disney/Kissimmee side of metro Orlando.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 3:23 am

During a previous life, I worked in beach restoration for the state of FL.

If this were my choice, I would head for Cocoa Beach and look for street parking somewhere around S. 1st Street. Last time I looked, Coconuts on the Beach had a nice wooden deck with a view. Decent surfing break and lots of sand. Lots of families on the beach. If you are into chochkes, you might want to check out Ron Jon's at A1A and 520 just to say that you have been there..it is totally unique and, in my opinion, totally overpriced.

Jetty Park in Port Canaveral might be a decent option also.. Lots of restaurants in the port. You will be charged admision to the park. If you are coming over on the Bee Line, this will be your closest beach.

Sebastian is a great place to visit. Some people claim that the best breaks on the east coast are just north of the jetty. I do not know that it would be my first choice for swimming.

One place favored by locals are the pullouts on A1A opposite Patrick AFB just south of Cocoa. They have walkovers to the beach and it will be closer than Sebastian. The Officers Club beach is very popular with the HS crowd...good swimming also. As far as I remember, the beach opposite the pullouts is unguarded. You will see cars parked at the pullouts. Also, dont expect much in the way of infrastructure at this location.

Water temps in the Atlantic are generally about 70 degrees year 'round. The Gulf is subject to seasonal variations...during the winter it drops into the high 50's near my home in the panhandle....during the summer it gets up well into the 80's...think warm bathtub.

Enjoy the trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.