What is a "Florida Casual" dress code?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.

I am going to a wedding in Orlando next weekend, and one of the events has a "Florida casual" dress code. It's a lunch event.

What is Florida casual?

Cheers,
Greg
Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I've never actually heard the phrase "Florida casual". However, often events are listed as "resort casual", which usually means khakis and a polo shirt or button down shirt.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I, being a thirty (plus) year floridian, would agree with "SRG Guy". My husband would wear khaki's and a Tommy Bahama style shirt. I would wear white linen pants, sandals and a colorful shirt. It's very possible that if it is a "Florida Casual" event, it may be outside!
Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Yeah, I tried googling "Florida casual," and while I saw it mentioned a few times, no one explained what it was. I'm going to go with resort / cruise wear - khakis or linen pants and a polo shirt and hope I'm not underdressed.

Cheers,
Greg
Old Apr 27, 2007, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Just remember that it's difficult to be underdressed in Florida. Nobody here dresses up for anything, it seems...
Old Apr 27, 2007, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Wife beater, baggies and flip-flops it is, then.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GregWTravels
Yeah, I tried googling "Florida casual," and while I saw it mentioned a few times, no one explained what it was. I'm going to go with resort / cruise wear - khakis or linen pants and a polo shirt and hope I'm not underdressed.

Cheers,
Greg
My brother's wedding, also in Orlando, was the same concept. You may want to bring a sportcoat, even if it is not inside. Other posters are corrcect, you probably will look overdressed. In 2003, I was flying TPA-DFW talking to a salesperson for Lord & Talyor after bfore they decided to leave the market. Her statement, "Floridians just don't care how they look or dress."
Old Apr 27, 2007, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA,CO, DL,FL,WN.US
florida casual?

I would like to add that not everyone dresses down in Florida. As an almost 50 yr Floridian , I'd like to dispelthemyth that all of Florida dresses in tshirts and cutoffs.Accepted is golf shirts or polos and dress pants/khakis or nice jeans.Evening out might allow wearing of "Tommy Bahama"style shirts or Polo camp shirts in places, but yes, people still wear decent clothes. Even my grandfather,a Floridian since 1925, wore suits daily until his death although light colored and mostly linen of course. You will find people who dress properly will be wearing a combination of the above, whether "bahama"style shirts and khakis or neat jeans.Maas Brothers was our store for years until ruined by Dillard's buyers.Orlando is a peculiar place due to the tourists but still you'll find people wearing something, not just tshirts and shorts and flipflops.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Tailored shorts and polo shirt would seem fine to me.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 8:11 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Florida Casual... khakis/white linen pants, loose fitting but nice collared shirt (Polo, Tommy Bahama, Cubavera, etc) If it's in South Florida a Guayabera would be appropriate. I typically wear Brown leather sandals or nice Birkenstocks when I have to dress like that. A jacket/sport coat is acceptable as well, and I would suggest it if it's near the water.

Bear in mind that Florida is rather diverse and different cities/regions may have different definitions of "Florida Casual"
Old Apr 30, 2007, 8:12 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
Wife beater, baggies and flip-flops it is, then.
Only if it's in the Panhandle or Key West
Old May 7, 2007, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Just to let you know the outcome...

At the "Florida casual" party the men were mostly in polos and khakis, a few male folks with shorts on. The women were either in casual dresses or shirts and slacks.

I, in a buttoned short sleeve shirt and blue khakis was appopriatedly dressed. Thanks to all!

Greg
Old May 11, 2007, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Brushed aluminum walking aid instead of a polished chrome one...
Old May 15, 2007, 9:01 pm

[QUOTE=SRQ Guy;7651056Nobody here dresses up for anything, it seems...[/QUOTE]

not applicable to South Florida... seems like the 'underdressed' people are the tourists, but locals, for the most part, do dress for the occasion - even if it's wearing shorts and flip flops, locals would wear a nice pair of shorts and dressy flip flops.
Old May 15, 2007, 9:58 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
It means you should put your sunglasses on immediately after saying any dry one-liners (ala David Caruso).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.