Search

Marco Island/SW FL Activities

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2001, 8:41 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Marco Island/SW FL Activities

Going to Marco Island during Thanksgiving.

Any outdoor activities not to miss?
Old Aug 25, 2001, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

bringing it up.

Old Aug 26, 2001, 5:46 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
SW,

Marco Island and the Naples area in general, is our favorite place to visit when in Florida. Nice, relatively uncrowded, clean beaches, many small intersting small museums and attractions in the Naples area, swamp buggy rides into the Everglades are nearby (you'll need a car, of course, to get to all these places) most of the larger hotels on Marco Island have kids programs, if you're bringing your kids along. If you're a fisherman, you'll be in your realm, as the snook, tarpon, and redfishing is not far, and you can rent a boat and motor near-by, or hire a guide. Freshwater fishing is also super in the 'Glades for bass. In all cases, both fresh and salt water, you'll need a fishing license. And Naples has its pier out into the Gulf of Mexico, for fishing or just watching. Magnificent sunsets on the Gulf side, and you should be past the hurricane season, so you should be okay.
Restaurants and shops in nearby Naples tend to be a bit pricey, but most are worth it.
Bring lots of suntan oil, and have a blast.
Swamp buggy races in a nearby park, but I don't know how often they run them.

bj-21.

------------------
'Tis better to have played and won, then never to have played at all.
Old Aug 27, 2001, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">....as the snook, tarpon, and redfishing is not far, and you can rent a boat and motor near-by, or hire a guide. Freshwater fishing is also super in the 'Glades for bass. In all cases, both fresh and salt water, you'll need a fishing license.
[/B]</font>

BJ-21, thanks, have you done either the salt or fresh water fishing in this area?
Old Aug 27, 2001, 9:13 pm

Hi again, SW,

Yep, actually I grew up in the south Florida area (but on the east coast--near Miami, many years ago) and I've fished often down there on return trips to visit the family. I usually head down to the Florida Keys of late, and haven't been fresh water fishing in Florida since I was a kid, as I've always preferred the salt water fishing because of the wide variety of species. Years ago, no license was needed for salt water fishing there, now one is a necessity. There are many marinas in the Naples area, where you can hire a guide, or rent a boat and motor for a self-drive fishing trip. One caution though, if going out into Florida Bay from Marco or Naples, be sure you remember how to get back, as many of the mangrove channels are winding and may be difficult to work your way out of. But the fishing in that area, particularly when the snook and tarpon are in the area (usually best in summer--but always a few around) can be fabulous. Also the spooky but hard fighting bonefish can be found on the flats. I'd suggest hiring a guide if this is your first time in the area,
but if you don't go too far from the home marina, you might be okay. Also, be aware of the weather, as sudden (brief but strong) rainstorms often pop up.
As to the fresh water fishing in the Everglades, the southern bass do get quite big, and 10 pounders or over are not unusual.
Watch out for the gators though. And, I remember fishing in the canals along the Tamiami Trial (US41) with my cousin when I was a kid. He hooked about a six pound bass and told me to get the net as he brought the fish to the edge of the canal. As I reached down from the edge of the canal, with a longhandled net, a large water moccassin (poisonous snake) swam out from under the bank. Needless to say, I dropped the net and ran--and my cousin lost his fish.

Hope you have a good trip--and if you fish--catch lots, but release what you don't
keep to eat.

bj-21.

P.S.--Feel free to drop me an email if I can help with more suggestions.

Jeff

------------------

[This message has been edited by blackjack-21 (edited 08-27-2001).]
Old Aug 30, 2001, 3:13 pm

Go on Sunday noon/afternoon to "Stan's Idle Place" in Goodland. Goodland is part of Marco Island.
Old Sep 1, 2001, 11:20 am

Here is a list of restaurants in Naples, S.W. Florida

http://www.usa-home.com/restaurant/

Article about Naples in New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/14/travel/NAPLES.html
Old Sep 1, 2001, 3:09 pm

You may also want to look at a Naples website, at: www.naples-florida.com/

It shows places of interest, restaurants, fishing, travel, etc. Might be helpful in planning your trip. Also, see this one on Marco Island: www.marco-island-florida.com/

bj-21.

------------------

[This message has been edited by blackjack-21 (edited 09-01-2001).]
Old Sep 4, 2001, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by USAFAN:
Go on Sunday noon/afternoon to "Stan's Idle Place" in Goodland. Goodland is part of Marco Island.</font>
USAFAN, looked up Stan's on your restaurant guide below, I am assuming the waterfront location w/a band on Sunday is a nice place to kick back? Thanks for the other info as well.

Also, blackjack-21, I hope to do both fresh and salt fishing. All my fishing is done in Northern WI, MN and Ontario, not exactly largemouth heaven (smallmouth YES!).

Old Sep 5, 2001, 1:52 pm

Yes, Stan's is on the waterfront in Goodland. You can go by car, by boat or with a Harley. Goodland is a fishermens place and a place for the not-so-rich snowbirds.

A better place to eat is "Backwater Nick's or Nick's on the Water" on Isle of Capri. Also on the water. On Sundays they have a two man Caribic Band. I go there often with guests and later to Stan's.
Old Sep 5, 2001, 2:00 pm

Gulfshore Life - Shopping and Dining Restaurant Guide
http://www.gulfshorelife.com/shopdine/default.htm
Old Mar 13, 2004, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

wanted to add that we really enjoyed our walk at Corkscrew Sanctuary.

http://www.audubon.org/local/sanctuary/corkscrew/
Old Mar 13, 2004, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by blackjack-21:
the fishing in that area, particularly when the snook and tarpon are in the area (usually best in summer--but always a few around) can be fabulous. I'd suggest hiring a guide if this is your first time in the area,</font>
Meant to say thanks blackjack-21.

I did hire a guide north of Marco, but not quite in Naples. We took a small flat bottom boat. The other guys who had signed up for the 1/2 day charter were no-shows so I had the boat to myself (SWEET! ).

We needed shiners so we took out the boat into the Gulf slightly to a large channel marker structure. With one cast of his bait net, the guide snagged about 50 or so shiners (green eyes I think). As we left the structure, these fish were skimming the top of the water.

The guide stated they were mackeral and would I like to catch some. SURE was my response. This was pretty much like shooting fish in a barrel. On 24 or so casts out of 30, I caught something. If I did not immediately catch a mackeral, I would let the bait drop twoards the reef, when BAM something would come off the reef and hit it. Seriously it became boring, it was just too easy as I'm used to endless hours of fishing with not even a hit.

I told the guide lets get into the mangroves and he agreed as he stated soon the tide would be changing and it would be a good time to fish them.

We used both crabs and the shiners. We would cast them way up into the mangrove roots. Snappers & redfish, and lots of them.

If a clump of mangroves did not produce, we simply went on to the next. I was having a blast standing on the bow making my casts.

It was beautiful out, the sun beating down on my neck.

I'm sorry I forgot the name of the guide as I've been out with guides before and he was very good. A must do for sure.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 4:06 pm

Hi SW,

Glad you had a good trip. The shiners hitting the surface usually indicate there's something under them, usually snook or mackeral.

Too bad you didn't keep one or two mackeral for dinner. They're easy to filet, and great tasting, if a bit oily. You could've had the hotels' chef prepare them for you. Bottomfishing there is fun too, and if you get a large grouper you'll really have your hands full. And also great on a plate.

Did you get any snook, redfish or pampano?

Have you been back since 2001? We'll probably get down to Florida some time this year, to visit our family, but it'll be to FLL, not the west coast. And may not have too much time to wet a line that trip, but anything to get out of the lousy winter we're having up here--too long and too cold. Rain mixed with snow right now. Wish we in out in the Gulf right now. Or, at least on the Boston Whalers that I used to rent from Bud'n Mary's in Islamorada. Great fishing down the Keys too, either on the Gulf side, or a short run to the gulfstream. Ah well, 'nother time.

bj-21.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 10:01 pm

Ooops, misspelled it!!! Correct is "Pompano" not pampano. Sorry. Great tasting nonetheless.

bj-21.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.