Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts/advice from people about going to Panama City Florida New Years

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 5:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thoughts/advice from people about going to Panama City Florida New Years

Would like to hear how it is down in Panama City Florida for New Years. I'd figure it be warm enough to go swimming. Also, any recommednations for photography/sightseeing that is iconic to that side/area of florida. Finally, wante d to know if Pensacola was worthwhile dropping by.

Anything else happy to listen and learn!
Old Nov 23, 2016, 6:20 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Per Panama City Beach Temps, the average high will be in the low to mid 60s and the average lows will be in the 40s. It will probably be great temps for sitting in a jacuzzi, but I'm not so sure for the ocean or a pool. But who knows it is possible you could get a heat wave and have great weather. I doubt it is likely, but it is probably possible. Also a lot of the restaurants and other places will be closed for the winter season.

Pensacola will have similar weather, but I'd guess there would be more things to do there in the winter than in Panama City Beach. You could go to the Naval Air Museum. It is huge and you could easily spend quite a few hours walking around. Also, there is the lighthouse close by. I know during the summer there is a Civil War tour you can take. I'm not sure if it is run during the winter or not. But if it is, you could probably have some interesting sight-seeing and pictures.

If your in Pensacola, you could drive over to Mobile to visit the USS Alabama. There is a small air museum there as well (nothing like the Navel Museum in Pensacola though) and there is a WWII submarine you can walk through.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I live in Panama City. While we would welcome you for New Years, do not plan on swimming in the Gulf of Mexico. A nice day in December or January will see a high near 70. The low is sure to go below 50. The water temps would certainly tempt a polar bear. Humans, not so much. A not so nice day would mean temperatures did not get over 40. You don't want to be here then.

Pier Park in Panama City Beach does throw a nice celebration. They will drop a giant beach ball at midnight as well as 10,000 of the real thing. This takes place at Pier Park, a huge outdoor shopping center with theatres, shops, restaurants and bars across from the beach. It's a nice place to watch the sun set. You would not be alone as thousands will join you. It's a very family friendly destination (especially since Spring Break has had a stake driven into its heart).

There is a very nice state park there, three piers (one about 1/4 mile long), fishing, boating, loads of good restaurants and bars (although fewer in winter). But the main attraction is the beach and it's iffy that time of year.

Pensacola is a larger city with more to see and do as well as hundreds of years of history. I'd recommend it over PCB. They're only two and half hours apart so you could see both if you wanted (as well as Destin and Ft Walton Beach, etc. in between). But if you want to swim, go to Miami.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
One more thought. If you come here, do not book a hotel in Panama City. Panama City Beach is a separate city from Panama City. The biggest difference is that one is on the Gulf of Mexico and the other is on St Andrews Bay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.