Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Transportation advice: arr MIA; dep PBI or FLL

Old Oct 10, 2016, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

I am traveling to HAV from MIA. On the return, I want to spend 4 or 5 days at Singer Island. I am trying to avoid (1) drop charges for the rental car (2) exorbitant "convenience fees" for the tolls.

The two of us will have 6 bags, including 2 with dive equipment. (maybe 5, but still 2 bags of dive equipment)

I could pick up a rental car at either West Palm Beach or Fort Lauderdale (airport or non airport locations) (assuming I can return at the airport).

I've looked at TRI-Rail and can't see if there are car rental locations near either Fort Lauderdale or West Palm stops. Are there any convenient ones?

How difficult would it be for two of us to manage that many bags getting to/from the rail station and the train?

Are there alternative modes of transportation that would work?

Thanks

Last edited by manneca; Oct 10, 2016 at 10:26 am
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Typically, there isn't a drop charge for major car rental agencies in South Florida. You can rent at one and drop at another for no charge. Enterprise being the exception.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
"I am trying to avoid ... exorbitant "convenience fees" for the tolls."

Have you considered purchasing your own personal SunPass to use in your rental car? If you can find a reasonably-priced one-way rental from MIA to FLL/PBI, that's probably what I would do -- especially if I had the amount of luggage that you will have.

Link to SunPass retailers:

https://www.sunpass.com/sunPassRetailers

(Of course, if you rarely drive in Florida, the initial $19.99 cost of a SunPass transponder might make this an unworkable solution for you.)

Last edited by guv1976; Oct 10, 2016 at 12:20 pm
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
"I am trying to avoid ... exorbitant "convenience fees" for the tolls."

Have you considered purchasing your own personal SunPass to use in your rental car? If you can find a reasonably-priced one-way rental from MIA to FLL/PBI, that's probably what I would do -- especially if I had the amount of luggage that you will have.

Link to SunPass retailers:

https://www.sunpass.com/sunPassRetailers

(Of course, if you rarely drive in Florida, the initial $19.99 cost of a SunPass transponder might make this an unworkable solution for you.)
There is also the $5 tag that sticks to the window that could be a one time use thing.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the advice.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, if you are staying on Singer Island, definately check out Sailfish Marina restaurant. Especially on a Thursday evening for their sunset celebration.
Let me know if you need any other suggestions for things to do while you are there. I live north of Singer Island and can offer some suggestions.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by manneca
I am traveling to HAV from MIA. On the return, I want to spend 4 or 5 days at Singer Island. I am trying to avoid (1) drop charges for the rental car
As pbiflyer notes, most rental car companies do not charge drop fees when returning the car to a different Florida location.

(2) exorbitant "convenience fees" for the tolls.
Good news! There is no need to take a toll road between FLL or PBI and Singer Island. The most direct route is on Interstate 95. Just stay out of the "I-95 Express" lanes and you'll be fine.

I've looked at TRI-Rail and can't see if there are car rental locations near either Fort Lauderdale or West Palm stops. Are there any convenient ones?
Although they do not have offices at the stations, Hertz will allow you to pick up cars at either the Hollywood Amtrak/Tri-Rail or Fort Lauderdale Amtrak/Tri-Rail stations. (I'm not sure if Hertz or another company does this in Palm Beach County.)

How difficult would it be for two of us to manage that many bags getting to/from the rail station and the train?
Are you asking about getting from the train station and the airport? At FLL, there is a free shuttle that runs from the airport to/from Fort Lauderdale - Hollywood International Airport Amtrak/Tri-Rail Station at Dania Beach.

You may want to use this shuttle so that you can rent directly at FLL. Doing that gives you a wider variety of cars/companies from which to choose.

Link to schedule posted on Tri-Rail website (pdf): http://www.tri-rail.com/connection-m...FLA1_Route.pdf

Are there alternative modes of transportation that would work?
The only other option that comes to find is a ride-sharing service like Uber. You're probably better off renting a car, however.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.