Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where near Miami to stay?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Unless it has changed in the last year, the Sheraton is an absolute dump of a hotel. Would check recent reviews.
Old May 22, 2016, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Unless it has changed in the last year, the Sheraton is an absolute dump of a hotel. Would check recent reviews.
Supposedly when it left Wyndham and went back to Sheraton, there were some renovations. How extensive, I couldn't say.
Old May 22, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Definitely Sheraton and ^ Coral Gables every time.

I had a cxled flight last year and took a friends sofa over the Sheraton!
Old May 22, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by Madone59
Definitely Sheraton and ^ Coral Gables every time.

I had a cxled flight last year and took a friends sofa over the Sheraton!
Madone59,

Thanks for the input. May I ask what about the comparison between the two and why you strongly propose the Courtyard Coral Gables over Sheraton? Thanks in advance for any additional feedback.
Old May 22, 2016, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Perfectly fine for your very short visit. Close from/to the airport, free parking, easy to avoid toll roads.

snip
Thanks very much for the info!
Old May 23, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hoangb
Thanks for the input. May I ask what about the comparison between the two and why you strongly propose the Courtyard Coral Gables over Sheraton? Thanks in advance for any additional feedback.
So that Sheraton is literally next to a golf course, International links Miami, where I spend a lot of time for work and I still pick Coral Gables. I just like being able to leave my hotel to take a walk, or get a bite and there is none of that at The Sheraton. Also Coral Gables will be much quieter than the Sheraton which is at the airport.
Old May 24, 2016, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
hoangb - normally I am a huge fan of Coral Gables as a base for visitors - in Miami Dade county, it is an urbane oasis of civilized livivg as compared to the chaos of other areas. The area close to the Courtyard has nice shops and great non-chain restaurants (using New York City as an example, think of Coral Gables as Greenwich Village as opposed to the chaos Times Square).

However, you presented a special condition in your first post - you gave three places to visit, and you stated your wish not to rent a car but instead to use Miami's problematic public transport system. Furthermore, your time in town is very short.

Considering thses factors, I answered in favor of the Sheraton beacuse it simplifies tbe use of public transport.

Basing yourself in Coral Gables means you would need to make time-comsuming connections each time you venture out.

The Sheraton is an aging property in a commercial area - completely different than the leafy residential nature of Coral Gables. But with your transportation stipulations, I think its ease of using public transport must be considered.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
hoangb - normally I am a huge fan of Coral Gables as a base for visitors - in Miami Dade county, it is an urbane oasis of civilized livivg as compared to the chaos of other areas. The area close to the Courtyard has nice shops and great non-chain restaurants (using New York City as an example, think of Coral Gables as Greenwich Village as opposed to the chaos Times Square).

However, you presented a special condition in your first post - you gave three places to visit, and you stated your wish not to rent a car but instead to use Miami's problematic public transport system. Furthermore, your time in town is very short.

Considering thses factors, I answered in favor of the Sheraton beacuse it simplifies tbe use of public transport.

Basing yourself in Coral Gables means you would need to make time-comsuming connections each time you venture out.

The Sheraton is an aging property in a commercial area - completely different than the leafy residential nature of Coral Gables. But with your transportation stipulations, I think its ease of using public transport must be considered.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share the information. This really helps.
I agree that public transportation access is much more convenient out of the airport. I am wondering if I stay at CY Coral Gables and take their shuttle to the airport to access the public transportation if that would be a decent option as well.

Thanks, all, for the input.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you so much for taking the time to share the information. This really helps.
I agree that public transportation access is much more convenient out of the airport. I am wondering if I stay at CY Coral Gables and take their shuttle to the airport to access the public transportation if that would be a decent option as well.
If the shuttle runs at times that match your plans, that would be a godsend!

The Metrorail (above-ground transit train) and the bus all run out of the Miami Intermodal Center, also called Miami Central Station. The Center is across the street from the airport itself.

If the shuttle driver can't drop you at the Center it is not a problem, as there is a free people mover that connects the Center to the airport.

To get to South Beach take Miami-Dade bus # 150 (Miami Beach Express) from the Intermodal Center all the way to the beach.

To get to Downtown take the Metrorail from the Center to the desired stop.

To get to Marlins Park take Metrorail to the Culmer station then take the connecting Marlins Shuttle.
Old May 29, 2016, 9:02 pm

So just a little update on my stay this weekend. The various input provided me a great deal of help in narrowing down where to stay.

Being that I am from LA and used to being stuck in heavy traffic almost all day long, I wanted to be somewhere that I did not have to rent a car or use taxi/uber so much that the cost outweighs renting a car.

I found a really good deal with Courtyard Coral Gables with free shuttle to/from MIA airport, and little things like microwave and fridge included.

In re-reading Non-nonrev's recommendation, I decided to give Sheraton Miami a call to ask a clarification question. The lady who picked up the phone was so helpful that I decided to stay there even though Coral Gables would have been cheaper and in a more "preferred" area in regards to vicinity to shops, dining, etc.

However, I must say that I am SOOOO glad that I stayed at Sheraton Airport. I literally went all over the place by using the Public transportation. The unlimited all-day-pass at $5.65 was a bargain.

To go to South Beach, I just walked across the street from my hotel to the bus station. I timed it this morning, and from the time I got off the hotel elevator to the bus stop at the airport, it took me 7 minutes, although, I do walk very fast.

Very nice and scenic drive from MIA to South Beach. Perhaps low traffic due to it being a Sunday.

I also took the 37 bus to go from MIA to Coral Gables. About 20 minutes ride.

I also really enjoyed taking the Metrorail from the Airport to Government Center stop and then hop on the free trolley in downtown to check out Bayside.

Basically, all the key places I wanted to go were easily accessible by the Sheraton.

Being that I am a person who does not use public transportation in California, I was a little leery at first, but I must say that I greatly enjoyed not having to worry about crazy parking prices, gas, car rental, etc.

More importantly, I got the chance to experience and immerse into the activities of the locals. I liked this experience.

Yes, the property is older, but at least I was given a room overlooking the golf course. Would I stay at this property again if I were to comeback to Miami? Definitely. In fact, I can't think of another airport hotel so close to the bus/tri-rail/metrorail station.

Thanks all for the informative input. Based on your suggestions, I had a great time.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Being that I am from LA and used to being stuck in heavy traffic almost all day long, I wanted to be somewhere that I did not have to rent a car or use taxi/uber so much that the cost outweighs renting a car.
I'd say you got incredibly lucky then, but it was a Sunday after all. Don't be fooled, traffic down here is horrendous and no better than the 405 over there. It's just that, here, we call it "I95".

-LPDAL
Old Jul 27, 2016, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
Just as an update, I changed my reservation from https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...t-fl-turnpike/ to https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...t-fl-turnpike/

It costs $11.50/day for parking but for $23 I decided it was worth it vs being farther away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.