Search

Miami beach or Ft Lauderdale beach...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS, CO, BA
Miami beach or Ft Lauderdale beach...

Hello!

I'm going to be in Miami for 4 nights from the 26th November. Myself, my partner, his parents and our 2 kids (1 = 8 months, 1 = 18 months)

We have provisionally booked the Grand Beach Hotel which seemed to have easy access (or at least be a manageable distance) to South Beach without being noisy.

However I have seen a rate for the W ft Lauderdale which is comparable and I wonder if I should switch.

Any thoughts on which is the better hotel? I've done South beach before but I haven't been to ft Lauderdale so would welcome any comparisons on what might appeal to our family most.

We are flying into Miami from London and then will be heading down to Montego Bay after our 4 nights which I haven't booked the flight for yet so I can book to Mo Bay from either FLL or MIA.

Thanks in advance...
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
One thing I will tell you is that the W Fort Lauderdale is highly over-rated and more importantly not good for families.

If you stay in Fort Lauderdale the Ritz Carlton is great but across the street from the beach. The only two actual smack on the sand beach properties I like in Fort Lauderdale are the Marriott Harbor Beach (a favorite of Bill Marriott, he visits every January) and the older but outstanding Lago Mar Resort.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldspan
One thing I will tell you is that the W Fort Lauderdale is highly over-rated and more importantly not good for families.

If you stay in Fort Lauderdale the Ritz Carlton is great but across the street from the beach. The only two actual smack on the sand beach properties I like in Fort Lauderdale are the Marriott Harbor Beach (a favorite of Bill Marriott, he visits every January) and the older but outstanding Lago Mar Resort.
That's great advice, thank you
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:37 pm

Not sure which is the better hotel, but Fort Lauderdale will be imo better for kids that young, you'll have more dining options in South Beach but it's gotten a little rough around the edges, though you are out of it that far North.
Fort Lauderdale beach doesn't have much going for it as far as food goes, you do have Las Olas and Riverfront that aren't that far away, also couple good restaurants up the road in Lauderdale by the Sea(a very kid friendly place), all these places are easily accessible from the W maybe 10-15 minutes.

If your going to stay in Fort Lauderdale I'd look at trying to fly in there and avoid Miami altogether, traffic during season can be a pain down there, not as bad in Lauderdale.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seasquatch
Not sure which is the better hotel, but Fort Lauderdale will be imo better for kids that young, you'll have more dining options in South Beach but it's gotten a little rough around the edges, though you are out of it that far North.
Fort Lauderdale beach doesn't have much going for it as far as food goes, you do have Las Olas and Riverfront that aren't that far away, also couple good restaurants up the road in Lauderdale by the Sea(a very kid friendly place), all these places are easily accessible from the W maybe 10-15 minutes.

If your going to stay in Fort Lauderdale I'd look at trying to fly in there and avoid Miami altogether, traffic during season can be a pain down there, not as bad in Lauderdale.
Thanks Seasquatch. My flights to Miami are already booked - although I haven't booked the flight down to MBJ so can book from FLL or MIA at the moment for that bit...
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by Seasquatch
Unfortunately, if you read his original post, you will see that they are coming from London. No direct flights into FLL from there.

There is also the B Ocean Resort, formerly the Sheraton Yankee Clipper that also touches the Beach.

Many family friendly restaurants can also be found along the 17th street causeway which is one of the main arteries onto the FLL Beach strip of hotels.

One thing you need to check is if there are any large local events planned for the area as it is around America's Thanksgiving Day.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:59 am

Not to be picky, but there is indeed a direct London Gatwick - Fort Lauderdale flight on Norwegian.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:42 am

Next to the RC in Ft Lauderdale is the Marriott Beach Place Towers, where you could get a 2br/2ba condo.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
The sand on both beaches is the same quality and texture, with the Miami beach being slightly larger.

As far as I am concerned all the establishments and "hot spots" nearby both beaches are overpriced tourist traps with little other to do than drink and party. [I suppose if one is young and single that would be the time of their life, but the place is barren for older folks and families.]

This just in: Our entire state is lined with beaches, not just the 68 mile long strip in the lower left corner, many of which are magnitudes better than our beaches which I, as a local, can confidently claim are mediocre at best when compared to the other beaches in our state.

Oh, and FLL does have a direct flight to London on DY.

-LPDAL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.