Wiki Posts
Search

Uber in Miami

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Gold.
Uber in Miami

I'm traveling to Miami tomorrow and some kind soul has recommended I use Uber to get about.

As I've never used Uber before I have a couple of questions.

1. If I use Uber to get from the airport to the hotel where should I go for pickup?

2. What about tips? From what I can gather Uber charges the ride to my cc. Can I add gratuity or should I tip the driver with cash? Should the tip be similar to what I'd give a cab driver?

Thanks for any replies.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd ask in the Miami forum for where to be picked up, or if it's even legal in Miami for Uber to pick you up. I think the app or Uber website can also help. Happy to move this thread there if you'd like, to avoid cross posting.

You're not required to tip Uber drivers, and there is active debate as to whether you should. Uber takes I think 20-30% of the fare as its commission. I generally don't tip unless the driver goes out of his/her way to accommodate some odd request or otherwise do something above and beyond.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:49 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Re. tipping: I believe it also depends on the type of Uber you use. I never tip on UberX, which is the service where you're driving someone's personal car. But I do believe that the category of Uber that simply hails a cab for you does include gratuity.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

This thread has been moved to the Florida destination forum.

Prospero
Senior Moderator
Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: Still working on being loyal
Uber and Lyft work in Miami, Lyft was recently giving great incentives to use their service.

Here is an uber invite code 2dfqt if you'd like
Here is a lyft invite code anthony125622
Should get you at least a free ride on each service.

I use Uber almost everywhere I go including international travel, from Peru, China, Australia, Panama. I've never had any problem.

It is typical to not tip.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
A couple of things to know. First, I have had problems from time to time getting the previous trip to clear out of the app. Last week the app essentially stalled on me after I put in my pick up location. Second more applicable to MIA. Uber technically is not allowed at MIA Airport. The very corrupt TLC has had the police bust drivers as they come to the airport. Some Uber drivers are very nervous about the airport and want you to sit up front and not hand them cash, in other words, they want it to appear as though they are a friend giving you a ride to or from the airport.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Uber in Miami

I usually hop on any available airport hotel shuttle at MIA and have Uber pick me up from that hotel. . Sheraton is one of the closest hotel. Other times I take the air train to the car rental center and have them pick me up from there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.