Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for Road Trip to FL During Xmas

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2015, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Suggestions for Road Trip to FL During Xmas

Need some suggestion for road trip from Atlanta to FL for Xmas break.
Went to Orlando for Universal before and trying to look for other places this time.
Suggestions & advices are appreciated !
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What do you want to do? There are plenty of good options easily reached but without knowing what you want it is hard to suggest one.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium
It's a straight shot down 75 to the beautiful beaches in the Clearwater/St. Pete area. If you're more specific about your interests, it would help.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

well just trying to find a place to visit and stay for few days and anything will be fine as long as the drive is not too long .....
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Kevin Liu
well just trying to find a place to visit and stay for few days and anything will be fine as long as the drive is not too long .....
I guess that rules out the Keys, depending on what you mean by too long. I second the Tampa Bay suggestion. Plenty to do, better chance for warm weather than further north. A compromise on too long a drive.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

I'll be the only person who drive so probably anything around 6 hr range is the max I'll push for
Driving toward vacation isn't too bad, but driving "BACK" certain is a different story ....
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
I'll be the only person who drive so probably anything around 6 hr range is the max I'll push for
Driving toward vacation isn't too bad, but driving "BACK" certain is a different story ....
6 hours isn't really going to get you anywhere. Destin or Panama City maybe, but will be colder there.
Maybe Jacksonville Beach. Still colder.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks like St Pete is about 7 hours from downtown Atlanta. Not sure if that is acceptable. Lots of stuff to do in the Tampa-St Pete area. Beaches, bars, museums, amusement parks, aquarium, etc.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
You could make a detour to St. Augustine and then take I-4 to Orlando. Nights of Lights is especially festive during the holiday season. http://augustine.com/event/nights-lights
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
It looks like St Pete is about 7 hours from downtown Atlanta. Not sure if that is acceptable. Lots of stuff to do in the Tampa-St Pete area. Beaches, bars, museums, amusement parks, aquarium, etc.
looks like that's my max max threshold lol
I was looking at Destin and Panama City since they are more driver friendly (in terms of duration).
Anyways, do you think it will be a wise idea to visit both places at the same time or I should plan a trip for each place separately.
Thanks !
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Orlando Vic
You could make a detour to St. Augustine and then take I-4 to Orlando. Nights of Lights is especially festive during the holiday season. http://augustine.com/event/nights-lights
I'm also considering visiting Jacksonville and St. Augustine at the same time as I only drove pass Jacksonville before.
The night lights actually looks pretty cool and worth a stay for it
Anything particularly fun that you will suggest to do in Orlando besides theme parks ? Thanks !
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

looks like that's my max max threshold lol
I was looking at Destin and Panama City since they are more driver friendly (in terms of duration).
Anyways, do you think it will be a wise idea to visit both places at the same time or I should plan a trip for each place separately.
Thanks !
Destin has more "stuff" than Panama City. I would opt for that. Better restaurants, activities, beaches, etc.

I'm also considering visiting Jacksonville and St. Augustine at the same time as I only drove pass Jacksonville before.
Anything particularly fun that you will suggest to do in Orlando besides theme parks ? Thanks !
If you visit Jax, there isn't much there. I would opt for either St Augustine, as suggested, Jax Beach, or Amelia Island, if you are into nature, biking, etc.

Orlando has a decent nightlife downtown. Winter Park has a great shopping area. And there is a ton of non theme park tourist stuff like go karts, gatorland, ice bar, putt putt golf, etc.
Also, the Gaylord Palms has their ICE! exhibit that is pretty cool. Huge holiday themed ice carvings in a giant 13 degree tent. Info on their website. Buy tickets in advance, so you don't sit in the line.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Well, the theme parks are the reason most people come. However, there is one "attraction" that is not advertised and just a short drive north of Orlando. I'm talking about Blue Spring State Park http://www.floridastateparks.org/bluespring/default.cfm which is the winter home of many manatees. You can see them in their natural habitat. This is a preview of what you are likely to see http://www.savethemanatee.org/savethemanateecam.html
Old Oct 14, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Destin has more "stuff" than Panama City. I would opt for that. Better restaurants, activities, beaches, etc.

If you visit Jax, there isn't much there. I would opt for either St Augustine, as suggested, Jax Beach, or Amelia Island, if you are into nature, biking, etc.

Orlando has a decent nightlife downtown. Winter Park has a great shopping area. And there is a ton of non theme park tourist stuff like go karts, gatorland, ice bar, putt putt golf, etc.
Also, the Gaylord Palms has their ICE! exhibit that is pretty cool. Huge holiday themed ice carvings in a giant 13 degree tent. Info on their website. Buy tickets in advance, so you don't sit in the line.
thanks for the advice though
since they are all nearby, should be able to visit all the places in one trip
Old Oct 14, 2015, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Orlando Vic
Well, the theme parks are the reason most people come. However, there is one "attraction" that is not advertised and just a short drive north of Orlando. I'm talking about Blue Spring State Park http://www.floridastateparks.org/bluespring/default.cfm which is the winter home of many manatees. You can see them in their natural habitat. This is a preview of what you are likely to see http://www.savethemanatee.org/savethemanateecam.html
wow never heard of this
thanks for the suggestion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.