Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miami tolls are the biggest tourist rip-off in the country

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:10 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
I think I'd give this a miss too. I have tried plugging some of these street names into Google Maps and cannot really understand what you are saying. I appreciate that you most certainly know what you are talking about and could probably do this blindfolded, but I have lumpy experiences with getting completely lost around MIA, especially spring last year when they seemed to be doing plenty of works on the roads.
Sorry the directions are pretty simple as stated, it's two turns only.

It would be better to drive SW 8th street to I-95 then go north on I-95 if you want to avoid the tolls. Just go South on LeJeune Road (42nd Ave) for approx. one mile from the rental car center and turn left on SW 8th Street. It will be approx. 3.5 miles to go from SW 42nd Ave to 6th Avenue where I-95's entrance will be on your right.
I added that LeJeune is 42nd Ave in this post. Just follow the signs out of the Rental Car Center for LeJeune Road.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teddybear99

I added that LeJeune is 42nd Ave in this post. Just follow the signs out of the Rental Car Center for LeJeune Road.
Thanks, I think I'll do that one if I'm not short of time.

I'm renting from National/Alamo which, if I'm reading the rules right, would "only" charge me one $3.95 convenience fee, plus the toll (at 2x rates). JohnnyColumbia seems to have calculated that at $5.35, which is obviously a rip-off for these 3 miles, but I guess if you're going to get ripped-off, have it be on an inexpensive item.

EDIT: Looking at the map, what would be wrong with, after turning south on LeJeune, going east on Flagler (968). That neighborhood is also Little Havana, right?

Last edited by iahphx; Sep 27, 2015 at 7:53 am Reason: more
Old Sep 27, 2015, 8:19 am

There is no entrance to I-95 from Flagler and you could get "lost" in the downtown area.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 11:36 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver

Thanks, I will try plotting that again with some waypoints

Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks, I think I'll do that one if I'm not short of time.

I'm renting from National/Alamo which, if I'm reading the rules right, would "only" charge me one $3.95 convenience fee, plus the toll (at 2x rates). JohnnyColumbia seems to have calculated that at $5.35
Apparently instead of the previous single toll where I could pay $1.25 in cash, there are now two tolls which cost 35¢ each with a transponder or 70¢ each on a toll-by-plate basis. Add to that the $3.95 and we come to $5.35

I am a fan of Sixt but their toll pricing at MIA is easily the least friendly. Sure if you opt in for tolls then spend all your time deliberately driving through tolls to get best value for your $$$ but charging $5 per toll instance when Alamo is charging $3.95 for each day you use tolls is a bit of a joke.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There is no entrance to I-95 from Flagler and you could get "lost" in the downtown area.
Hmm, on close inspection of Google maps, I see that. Not a good plan. Thanks.

If you're headed to Ft. Lauderdale, and don't want to pay the toll, maybe the best strategy is to head west from the rental car facility along 36th Street to the free 826 highway. Yes, it's not the shortest distance, but I recall that 36th St along the north side of the airport is pretty speedy. No unsavory neighborhoods, either (just industrial/airport type stuff).

The map shows you could cut the corner to 826 N by taking Rt. 27. Does anyone know what that road is like?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I would add our experiences going and coming from MIA recently as we are just hit by Budger for $4.65 toll fee, 2 weeks after returning the vehicle - looks like it is $3.95 + 0.70 toll.

In Aug we flew out of MIA for a long trip in Europe. Rented an Avis from local store near home in Broward, returned at MIA. In the past as late as this Spring we always were able to find non-toll route to MIA but this time we were shocked every direction seemed to be toll. We drove pass the airport exit and took the next exit then we pulled out our Tom Tom, quickly switched it to US map and set it to avoid Toll to get to MIA. It took Tom Tom a while to get the GPS signal (the most annoying part, otherwise the GPS works great). Then it showed a new route, added 15 or so min - the GPS led us thru some backward side streets seemed to be in a small industrial area but I forgot the names of the streets. Then suddenly we are in front of the main entrance of MIA area. Great.

On our return, I told my husband to stop aside after getting out the rental car facility so we can let Tom Tom pick up the signal and program it. Well, husband stupidly insisted to keep driving, albeit slowly - before we knew it we were in front of the freeway entrances - 2 ramps - one to 112 with Toll and one to opposite direction but I forgot what. He claimed there would be one last exit before toll on 112. I told him NO, that was before the construction was still going on, now the whole area has a complete different look and I bet as soon as you get on that ramp the toll started. He would not listen and off we went up the ramp. Then he exited on the first exit, proclaimed "this was how we always did it." I told him in the past, the sign would say, "Last exit before Toll Booth". Now there is NO SUCH SIGN and of course we knew there was no more toll booth...

I told him we would not know for sure until a couple weeks later if there was a bill from Budget or not... (I knew there would be one but he would not believe.)

So, today I saw a pending charge of $4.65 from Budget, description Toll / Road Fee...

I am almost certain that had we stopped by road side (there were 2 or 3 cards ahead of us getting out the rental car facilities already stopped there - presumably these were smart folks waiting for their GPS to pick up signals...), the trusty Tom Tom would find us a way to avoid Toll...

Though just looking at Google Map, I cannot figure out how to stay on surface street when getting out from the rental car facilities without being forced onto the Ramps. Google shows LeJeune - that is the street we always used in the past. We used to go up to 62nd street and then headed East to get on I-95. But I dont recall seeing the direction when getting out the garage. Is LeJeune still directly reachable once out of the Rental Car Facilities?

Last edited by Happy; Oct 10, 2015 at 1:58 pm
Old Oct 11, 2015, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by Happy
On our return, I told my husband to stop aside after getting out the rental car facility so we can let Tom Tom pick up the signal and program it. Well, husband stupidly insisted to keep driving, albeit slowly - before we knew it we were in front of the freeway entrances - 2 ramps - one to 112 with Toll and one to opposite direction but I forgot what. He claimed there would be one last exit before toll on 112. I told him NO, that was before the construction was still going on, now the whole area has a complete different look and I bet as soon as you get on that ramp the toll started. He would not listen and off we went up the ramp. Then he exited on the first exit, proclaimed "this was how we always did it." I told him in the past, the sign would say, "Last exit before Toll Booth". Now there is NO SUCH SIGN and of course we knew there was no more toll booth...
The tolls are now set to get everyone who gets on the expressways as there is no longer a "free ride" between exits. Some ramps actually have a tolls on them. In the case above, SR-112 (Airport Expressway), the toll gantry is about 1/2 mile after the entrance from LeJeune Road and before the first exit at NW 27th Avenue. The next gantry is near NW 15th Ave before the entrance to I-95. This is going Eastbound.

Westbound, back into the airport, they are in the same positions, but you don't have a chance to exit coming off I-95 before hitting a toll as it's before the first exit at NW 17th Ave. As there is no entrance before NW 22nd Ave, you would get hit at the next one between NW 27th Ave and the Airport.

I told him we would not know for sure until a couple weeks later if there was a bill from Budget or not... (I knew there would be one but he would not believe.)

So, today I saw a pending charge of $4.65 from Budget, description Toll / Road Fee...

I am almost certain that had we stopped by road side (there were 2 or 3 cards ahead of us getting out the rental car facilities already stopped there - presumably these were smart folks waiting for their GPS to pick up signals...), the trusty Tom Tom would find us a way to avoid Toll...

Though just looking at Google Map, I cannot figure out how to stay on surface street when getting out from the rental car facilities without being forced onto the Ramps. Google shows LeJeune - that is the street we always used in the past. We used to go up to 62nd street and then headed East to get on I-95. But I don't recall seeing the direction when getting out the garage. Is LeJeune still directly reachable once out of the Rental Car Facilities?
Yes, just be careful following the signs as it is listed as SR-953, Lejeune Road. As I stated in another thread, the safest way to avoid the tolls to I-95 is to go South on LeJeune Road to SW 8th Street and then go East to I-95 about 4-5 miles. Every 10 blocks is about one mile, LeJeune is 42nd Ave and the entrance is at about 3rd Ave. NW 62nd Avenue is seen a lot on the First 48 and have many unsavory people hanging out on the street corners. I would avoid at all times.

Finally, if you want to spend the money and get a Sunpass you will pay less for the tolls as the expressway authority (MDX) doubles the toll for Toll-by-Plate. Also the SR-112's (Airport Expressway) tolls are only $.35 per gantry with Sunpass versus the SR-836 (Dolphin Expressway) have it at $.70 per Gantry and there are 3 between the airport and I-95. Most of the expressways will be tolled by the end of 2017 as they are controlled by the MDX and they feel it's better to raise the funds via tolls than via local taxes.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: SPG
I am arriving and picking up a rental tonight from Dollar. I will set my Garmin GPS to "avoid toll roads". I will be going to Miami Lakes. How do I avoid the toll road (in case GPS mucks up)?

Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Vit007
I am arriving and picking up a rental tonight from Dollar. I will set my Garmin GPS to "avoid toll roads". I will be going to Miami Lakes. How do I avoid the toll road (in case GPS mucks up)?

Thanks!
Take LeJeune Road North to US-27 North. There is a ramp that will take you up and over to get on US-27, go approx. 6 miles to SR-826 North and you will find the first exit at NW 154th Street. Use caution as the exit comes up immediately after the ramp to SR-924, the Gratigny Expressway (toll-road).

Last edited by teddybear99; Oct 11, 2015 at 9:40 am
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If you're headed to Ft. Lauderdale, and don't want to pay the toll, maybe the best strategy is to head west from the rental car facility along 36th Street to the free 826 highway. Yes, it's not the shortest distance, but I recall that 36th St along the north side of the airport is pretty speedy. No unsavory neighborhoods, either (just industrial/airport type stuff).

The map shows you could cut the corner to 826 N by taking Rt. 27. Does anyone know what that road is like?
Take LeJeune Road North to US-27 North. There is a ramp that will take you up and over to get on US-27, go approx. 6 miles to SR-826 North and you will find the first exit at NW 154th Street. Use caution as the exit comes up immediately after the ramp to SR-924, the Gratigny Expressway (toll-road).
Since no one responded to my previous inquiry, I took 36th St. west to 826N instead on trying to "cut the corner" on US-27. Again, how are the conditions on US-27 -- speedy or slow?

We found 36th St west to be pretty fast -- once we got on it. And then no problem on 826 (although the junction with 95 is still a bizarre maze).

The problem was going that short distance on LeJeune north to get to 36th Street -- the same distance I believe you'd have to take to get to US27. Even though it's a fraction of a mile, the lights are set for maximum misery and congestion. What should have taken a minute or two took more than 10 minutes. And this was at 1:30 in the afternoon; I wonder what it's like in rush hour.

But at least no tolls and fees.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:02 pm

Since no one responded to my previous inquiry, I took 36th St. west to 826N instead on trying to "cut the corner" on US-27. Again, how are the conditions on US-27 -- speedy or slow?

We found 36th St west to be pretty fast -- once we got on it. And then no problem on 826 (although the junction with 95 is still a bizarre maze).

The problem was going that short distance on LeJeune north to get to 36th Street -- the same distance I believe you'd have to take to get to US27. Even though it's a fraction of a mile, the lights are set for maximum misery and congestion. What should have taken a minute or two took more than 10 minutes. And this was at 1:30 in the afternoon; I wonder what it's like in rush hour.

But at least no tolls and fees.
It's just as fast and you save both miles and time by going up the angle to 826 versus the other two sides of the triangle to get to the same point.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So LeJeune is the way to go

In other words, when heading out from MIA, follow LeJeune all the time. The better way is go South LeJeune, then make the way towards East direction eventually cut I-95.

However I dont fully understand coming in from I-95 how to avoid toll?

As I mentioned, when we came in back in August, we did not exit at the Airport sign when seeing the toll - instead we went one further down then told Tom Tom to find us a route to avoid Toll. It did find it, led us thru some back streets and we wound up in front of MIA.

How about exit Port Everglade, the other side of the freeway, then from there to get to airport on underpass (if there is one? I dont remember the exact situation.)
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's just as fast and you save both miles and time by going up the angle to 826 versus the other two sides of the triangle to get to the same point.
Good to know. Yeah, looking at a map, you certainly save distance going up 27. Now that I know it's not a nightmare, I'll try that next time.

In other words, when heading out from MIA, follow LeJeune all the time. The better way is go South LeJeune, then make the way towards East direction eventually cut I-95.

However I dont fully understand coming in from I-95 how to avoid toll?

As I mentioned, when we came in back in August, we did not exit at the Airport sign when seeing the toll - instead we went one further down then told Tom Tom to find us a route to avoid Toll. It did find it, led us thru some back streets and we wound up in front of MIA.

How about exit Port Everglade, the other side of the freeway, then from there to get to airport on underpass (if there is one? I dont remember the exact situation.)
First, don't rely on GPS to avoid toll because a lot of the Miami tolls are new. Basically, you can't get on a highway near MIA without paying a toll (and triggering the rental car fees).

The problem with going south on Lejeune to get to 95 is that this is a pretty congested area, and you have to go all the way to South 8th St. before heading east.

Going west to get on 826 is obviously out of the way if you're headed to 95, but my hunch is that it's probably faster than heading to S. 8th St. I guess we'll need field tests. In the meantime, we can curse all the parties involved for creating this stupid rip-off and the need to avoid it.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good to know. Yeah, looking at a map, you certainly save distance going up 27. Now that I know it's not a nightmare, I'll try that next time.

First, don't rely on GPS to avoid toll because a lot of the Miami tolls are new. Basically, you can't get on a highway near MIA without paying a toll (and triggering the rental car fees).

The problem with going south on Lejeune to get to 95 is that this is a pretty congested area, and you have to go all the way to South 8th St. before heading east.

Going west to get on 826 is obviously out of the way if you're headed to 95, but my hunch is that it's probably faster than heading to S. 8th St. I guess we'll need field tests. In the meantime, we can curse all the parties involved for creating this stupid rip-off and the need to avoid it.
Read my post again.

I am talking about going INTO MIA, not going out of MIA. Going out is now pretty clear - use LeJeune whether going South/North/West, is a personal preference.

All the discussions so far, including your post above, are talking about how to get out of MIA without using the toll roads.

What about when you return your car back to MIA? How you get back without triggering toll when coming in from I-95? That is what I want to find out.

FWIW, Tom Tom is updated 4 times a year so it would pick up the toll information with slight delay. No idea about Garmin or those pre-installed on the rental cars. It did the job to lead us INTO MIA via back streets to avoid Toll. I am fairly certain if my husband was willing to stop aside, like the previous cars did, and let Tom Tom pick up the signal then update its route, we would not get on 112 - alas, he insisted that was the way we did last time, exited on the first one before toll... WRONG, just like 4 months ago he insisted to go up Sawgrass for just one exit up at Coral Spring near Boca... Stupid, as we could just use the feeder below... We got the bill from Sawgrass tollway to realize we had incurred toll.

Last edited by Happy; Oct 12, 2015 at 9:29 pm
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:51 am

Read my post again.

I am talking about going INTO MIA, not going out of MIA. Going out is now pretty clear - use LeJeune whether going South/North/West, is a personal preference.

All the discussions so far, including your post above, are talking about how to get out of MIA without using the toll roads.

What about when you return your car back to MIA? How you get back without triggering toll when coming in from I-95? That is what I want to find out.
From I-95, to avoid the toll, you actually should exit the SR-112 East towards the beach (Julia Tuttle Causeway) as there is no toll. Then you would exit either N. Miami Ave (turn right off exit) or Biscayne Blvd (go straight across) to 36th Street. Go west on 36th street to LeJeune Road. You will actually have to cross LeJeune to the next street after the Burger King and make a few rights to go South on LeJeune as it is a no left turn intersection. Go South under the bridges and follow the signs to the Rental Car Return (stay in the left lane) at around 25th street. This can add up to half an hour as it's local streets with many school zones. Also like 62nd street, this can get dangerous at night due to some low income areas and prostitution turf wars.

The one good thing...

You will find some of the cheapest gas around NW 22nd Ave and 36th street and not pay the tourist rates the gas stations around the airport charge. For example 10/15/15 saw regular gas selling at $2.15/gal in this area, but $3.89/gal and higher at the stations along LeJeune. If a rental car agency says you must fill up at one of these higher price stations and requests that you show proof with a receipt, feel free to PM me as this is illegal and I will assist you in filing a complaint with the consumer protection division of Miami-Dade County.

Last edited by teddybear99; Oct 15, 2015 at 11:58 am Reason: added the gas info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.