Miami tolls are the biggest tourist rip-off in the country

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miami tolls are the biggest tourist rip-off in the country

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4 more days it would be a full month from the day we returned home. We have not seen an additional charge from Avis yet.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddybear99
1. Correct. If you fail to remove the rental agency's transponder from the car when you place yours, it will charge both transponders.

Again, any transponder in the windshield, if read, will be charged. The gantry cannot determine it's the same vehicle as it is reading the chip in the transponders as they pass and since vehicles are passing at a high rate of speed, it just sees the transponder as it passes below the gantry.
Well, either the Avis transponder is a decorative item thus not usable, despite it is there and is unable to "turn off" as explained before, or the gantry does not read that transponder - Avis has not bill us for anything. Since the usage occurred on June 15 and now we are on Aug 5, if there is still no charge from Avis, I think we can conclude that the gantry does not read both transponders. Only ours is being charged.

Seems what Non-NonRev has said is more to the actual happening.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by Happy
Well, either the Avis transponder is a decorative item thus not usable, despite it is there and is unable to "turn off" as explained before, or the gantry does not read that transponder - Avis has not bill us for anything. Since the usage occurred on June 15 and now we are on Aug 5, if there is still no charge from Avis, I think we can conclude that the gantry does not read both transponders. Only ours is being charged.

Seems what Non-NonRev has said is more to the actual happening.
I have had charges come in a few months later to my Sunpass account due to late capture analysis of my tag. Also Avis may have just let it go as it is only one charge for $1.00 or so. It sometimes cost more to charge someone that just eating a charge that low marking it as a cost of doing business.

I speak from my knowledge of being a fleet manager of over 300 vehicles and having to break down the monthly bill to different cost centers all over the state of Florida. So I will leave it at that and say what happened in your situation may not be the norm as I don't work for a car rental agency.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have had charges come in a few months later to my Sunpass account due to late capture analysis of my tag. Also Avis may have just let it go as it is only one charge for $1.00 or so. It sometimes cost more to charge someone that just eating a charge that low marking it as a cost of doing business.

I speak from my knowledge of being a fleet manager of over 300 vehicles and having to break down the monthly bill to different cost centers all over the state of Florida. So I will leave it at that and say what happened in your situation may not be the norm as I don't work for a car rental agency.
No. Avis charges the "convenience fee" which is $4.50 per day or more than that per day, for the whole duration of rental. Hence the starting of this thread by iahpdx on how the rental car companies gauging the customers - the "convenience fee" is not based on the day you actually use the transponder, but on EVERY DAY of the rental even you may only use it once, but as long as you trigger the use, you are screwed.

The toll is nothing. The "convenience fee" is where the rental car companies make their money. There are enough discussions all over the web about which rental car companies are less evil (National. which has a cap) when it comes to the daily charge of such fee, and which companies are really bad. (Avis is among those bad ones).

The charge should be automatically processed. I seriously doubt it is manually done.

Last time Avis charged us in about a month.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
hi all,
I'm travelling to florida next week,and renting a car from Hertz at FLL to drive down to the keys and then later up to North Florida. I'm glad I stumbled on this thread, or I would have had no idea regarding the extra charges associated with rental cars and toll roads. I rather wish I had seen this earlier, since Hertz seems to have one of the highest fees- capping at $25 for use of the "plate pass." I visit the Orlando area reasonably often, so I think I'm going to try purchasing a sunpass on this trip, which I can then presumably use again to save money in the future. As I understand it from reading the thread, the process I should follow is something like this:
1) Register for a sunpass account (I assume I can do this now?)
2) On arrival at FLL, ask Hertz how to turn off or remove their transponder, and do whatever necessary to deactivate it.
3) Purchase a sunpass mini, then immediately go online and add the transponder number and rental car plate numbers to my sunpass account.

Does that sound like the right procedure to avoid getting hit with the Hertz charges?
If so, does anyone know if I can purchase a sunpass in FLL airport itself, or if not, where the closest/easiest retail location might be?
thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by whimsey21
hi all,
I'm travelling to florida next week,and renting a car from Hertz at FLL to drive down to the keys and then later up to North Florida. I'm glad I stumbled on this thread, or I would have had no idea regarding the extra charges associated with rental cars and toll roads. I rather wish I had seen this earlier, since Hertz seems to have one of the highest fees- capping at $25 for use of the "plate pass." I visit the Orlando area reasonably often, so I think I'm going to try purchasing a sunpass on this trip, which I can then presumably use again to save money in the future. As I understand it from reading the thread, the process I should follow is something like this:
2) On arrival at FLL, ask Hertz how to turn off or remove their transponder, and do whatever necessary to deactivate it.
3) Purchase a sunpass mini, then immediately go online and add the transponder number and rental car plate numbers to my sunpass account.

Does that sound like the right procedure to avoid getting hit with the Hertz charges?
If so, does anyone know if I can purchase a sunpass in FLL airport itself, or if not, where the closest/easiest retail location might be?
thanks!
There is an app available on Google Play for Android Devices; I don't use the Apple devices, but I would assume it's there as well.

I believe you actually need a transponder number when registering for an account, it's been so long since I did it. Using the App, this is the first thing asked when trying to set up a new account.

https://www.sunpass.com/sunpassretailers

The transponders can be purchased at any local Publix Supermarket Walgreens, or CVS Pharmacy. I would say the nearest one (CVS) is a mile north of the airport on the corner of US-1 (Federal Highway) and SE 17th Street. Just take the US-1 North exit from the airport and look for the CVS on the right side just after the Comfort Suites. If you purchase the mini ($4.99), be sure to also buy scotch tape to tape it to the window. They are meant to be permanently attached to the windshield, and will be destroyed if you attempt to move it after sticking it to the windshield. You may want to look at the more expensive one ($19.99) that attaches by suction cups so you can move it from car to car as needed.

I don't think the transponders come with the cars, they are an add-on that you must agree on. I don't rent at the airport as I am a local resident, but I do rent from Hertz at one of their neighborhood locations as needed.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by whimsey21
hi all,

thanks!
I know you can buy a sun pass online but they say it ships within 7 days so that won't work for you. I did not see any provision for expedited shipping.

I'd get the sun pass as soon as you can after exiting the airport and register it immediately.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 7:54 am

There is an app available on Google Play for Android Devices; I don't use the Apple devices, but I would assume it's there as well.

I believe you actually need a transponder number when registering for an account, it's been so long since I did it. Using the App, this is the first thing asked when trying to set up a new account.

The transponders can be purchased at any local Publix Supermarket Walgreens, or CVS Pharmacy. I would say the nearest one (CVS) is a mile north of the airport on the corner of US-1 (Federal Highway) and SE 17th Street. Just take the US-1 North exit from the airport and look for the CVS on the right side just after the Comfort Suites. If you purchase the mini ($4.99), be sure to also buy scotch tape to tape it to the window. They are meant to be permanently attached to the windshield, and will be destroyed if you attempt to move it after sticking it to the windshield. You may want to look at the more expensive one ($19.99) that attaches by suction cups so you can move it from car to car as needed.

I don't think the transponders come with the cars, they are an add-on that you must agree on. I don't rent at the airport as I am a local resident, but I do rent from Hertz at one of their neighborhood locations as needed.

Hope this helps.
thanks much- that's very helpful. I'll head to that CVS as soon as I leave the airport, and will make sure to take some tape with me to attach it to the window. Its nice that they have an app as well, I'm sure that will simplify getting everything set up.
Had I seen this thread earlier I would have ordered the sunpass by mail, but it sounds like things should work out ok even though I didn't...
Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Just looking for a word of advice... based on this thread, I opted to fly into FLL instead of MIA for a trip to Sunny Isles Beach next month.

Personally, I'd just like to avoid the whole transponder thing for the entire trip and just stick to non toll roads. How tricky is it to dodge the tolls around the FLL terminal? Is there a particular route that is recommended?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by heraclitus
Just looking for a word of advice... based on this thread, I opted to fly into FLL instead of MIA for a trip to Sunny Isles Beach next month.

Personally, I'd just like to avoid the whole transponder thing for the entire trip and just stick to non toll roads. How tricky is it to dodge the tolls around the FLL terminal? Is there a particular route that is recommended?
You won't run into any toll roads near FLL. On I-95, just don't take the SunPass express lanes as you head south (take the "normal" free lanes).

Another good reason to fly into FLL instead of MIA. And if you fly an airline that uses FLL's Terminal 1 (WN and UA are the biggies), you just walk across a pedestrian bridge to get to the cars. At MIA it's an odyssey to reach the car rental facility for everyone.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by iahphx
You won't run into any toll roads near FLL. On I-95, just don't take the SunPass express lanes as you head south (take the "normal" free lanes).

Another good reason to fly into FLL instead of MIA. And if you fly an airline that uses FLL's Terminal 1 (WN and UA are the biggies), you just walk across a pedestrian bridge to get to the cars. At MIA it's an odyssey to reach the car rental facility for everyone.
^^^

Good news. I've flown into FLL before but never rented a car there... I'm always happy to avoid the bloated rental car centres you need to take a bus to access.

Not gonna lie, the fact that there is a YWG-FLL nonstop (but not YWG-MIA) was a big factor in my decision, but once I read about the shenanigans at MIA here that was it, I made up my mind to rule out MIA.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by heraclitus
^^^

Good news. I've flown into FLL before but never rented a car there... I'm always happy to avoid the bloated rental car centres you need to take a bus to access.

Not gonna lie, the fact that there is a YWG-FLL nonstop (but not YWG-MIA) was a big factor in my decision, but once I read about the shenanigans at MIA here that was it, I made up my mind to rule out MIA.
Yeah, that will certainly save you some hassle. Keep in mind though that if you don't fly into Terminal 1, you're supposed to take a bus to get to the car rental center (which is across from Terminal 1). I personally recommend walking from Terminal 2 as well, but beyond that, it's kind of a hike and probably better to take the sometimes-inefficient bus.

Regardless, though, you'll save yourself the toll pass hassle.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iahphx

But going from the I-95 to Collins there are free bridges and toll ones. Heading from FLL Id take the Ives Dairy Rd exit, turn Right on US1 and then follow the signs for the causeway. I know theres a toll for the 96th St bridge not sure which others
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
For those folks heading into Florida who already have a portable transponder with another system, do an internet search on your toll authority + sunpass + interoperability. There are already reciprocal agreements among toll authorities in Florida, North Carolina, and Georgia to let the transponders work on all tolled roads & bridges in their system, and there may be other agreements that have been reached I don't know about. (There are federal rules that are pushing toward national interoperability but the country isn't quite there yet.)
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:45 am

Hope this helps.

Just a follow-up on my experience. I was renting from Hertz- their cars all had sunpasses adhered to the upper left corner of the windshield, and they seem to have the worst fees, capping at $26. I asked the attendant when leaving the garage if I could deactivate their transponder; he said there is no way to do so, but putting my own sunpass in the middle should keep theirs from registering. Per teddybear's suggestion, I stopped at the CVS near FLL and purchased a sunpass. They only had the mini, but I had brought tape and taped it to the center of the windshield. I registered for an account on the app and added the rental license plate-- was happy to see that the app allows a plate to be added just for a certain time period, so you don't have to go back and remove the rental manually from your account. All tolls did register on the app - so far Hertz hasn't sent me any charges but I'm keeping an eye on it just in case their transponder did register anywhere. I was able to easily detach the transponder from the vehicle at the end of our rental, and look forward to using it again when next in Florida. Thanks everyone for the very useful (and money saving) advice on this thread!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.