Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Reunion in Key West-fly into FLL or MIA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list

We're heading to EYW in Sept. and there aren't many convenient flts into EYW using AA or UA miles. So I thought it might be fun to fly into FLL or MIA, rent a car, and drive to EYW. Would you recommend FLL or MIA?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by philemer
We're heading to EYW in Sept. and there aren't many convenient flts into EYW using AA or UA miles. So I thought it might be fun to fly into FLL or MIA, rent a car, and drive to EYW. Would you recommend FLL or MIA?
I did the drive from MIA last year and after getting beyond the airport area road construction and traffic, it was a smooth drive.

To get to the MIA car rentals at the airport involved taking a train to get from baggage claim to the car rental counters. FLL may be easier in that regard and the FLL airport is less of a busy madhouse than MIA.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FLL is arguably a more pleasant airport (though it depends on the terminal/airline) but it is also an extra hour of driving once you land. Win some, lose some.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You've both convinced me to use FLL. I don't mind the extra 30 mile drive to EYW. Thx.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
You've both convinced me to use FLL. I don't mind the extra 30 mile drive to EYW. Thx.
That is one nasty 30 mile drive. I do it everyday.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
That is one nasty 30 mile drive. I do it everyday.
Yeah, I would take 595 all the way to 75 to the Turnpike extension if I flew into FLL and was headed to Key West.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:11 pm

It is a fun drive ,as long as it's not raining or dark . God forbid both. Just watch your speed in the Keys . The cops are everywhere running radar.^
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Yeah, I would take 595 all the way to 75 to the Turnpike extension if I flew into FLL and was headed to Key West.
The varies map programs have you leaving 595 and going S. when you hit 821. Is there too much congestion that way?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:06 am

I personally would not choose the "convenience" of FLL over MIA unless there was savings (car rental, airfare, or time) in doing so.

Whichever airport you choose, I would recommend trying to arrive around mid-day (10am-2pm) if possible. Less traffic and better viewing heading southbound to the Keys. Also try to depart (if you are doing a round-trip car rental) after ~2pm but before ~5pm from the selected airport. This will allow for enough drive time northbound and avoid heavier traffic times.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
The varies map programs have you leaving 595 and going S. when you hit 821. Is there too much congestion that way?
Potentially, yes. The 821 is the turnpike. You can run into traffic around the stadium and further south. Plus it is really easy to miss the turnpike extension turn off.
One small point. Either way gets crowded around 4pm through 6pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.