Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Recommended driving route Boynton Beach to Sarasota

Old Dec 1, 2014, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Any advice on a route to take from Boynton Beach to Sarasota? Generally just looking for the quickest/easiest way; I don't really care whether there are interesting places to stop along the way, although scenery could be a tiebreaker, I guess.

Are there a lot of traffic lights on the roads that go by Lake Okeechobee like US 98, US 27, and SR 70? Is it worth the extra distance to take 95 south to Alligator Alley/75 north?

Thanks.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond, AGR, DL tin-foil (FO)
I'd probably go up to Palm Beach Gardens, then take FL 710 to FL 70. If you're heading for the south side of Sarasota, you might want to use FL 72 once you're past Arcadia. Otherwise, just stick to FL 70 all the way across.

There are a few lights in Okeechobee, a light when you cross US 27, and a few lights in Arcadia. Otherwise, it's pretty much open road with a 60 mph speed limit.

I can't think of any good reason to head south to the Alley. It's farther, it takes more time, and there are tolls.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:54 pm

There no reason to go all the way down to Alligator Alley.

Any towns that you pass through are small. They will all have reduced speed zones. I'd highly recommend slowing down. When I drove through that area back in October, I saw two cars pulled over in either Clewiston or Belle Glade. (Can't remember which town.) I'm sure they were getting speeding tickets.

If it were me, I'd take 98 to 80 across the state. I believe that route 80 is four lanes whereas route 70 is just two lanes. That area is farm country, so trucks are common. That extra lane in each direction makes passing slower trucks much less stressful.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by jcm9572
I'd probably go up to Palm Beach Gardens, then take FL 710 to FL 70. If you're heading for the south side of Sarasota, you might want to use FL 72 once you're past Arcadia. Otherwise, just stick to FL 70 all the way across.

There are a few lights in Okeechobee, a light when you cross US 27, and a few lights in Arcadia. Otherwise, it's pretty much open road with a 60 mph speed limit.

I can't think of any good reason to head south to the Alley. It's farther, it takes more time, and there are tolls.
Either this or US 98 to US 27 to 70. And I would also opt for sticking with 70 instead of 72 at Arcadia. Better road.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.