First time travel to Miami, FLL or MIA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time travel to Miami, FLL or MIA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Question First time travel to Miami, FLL or MIA?

Hi, this is first time my wife and I travel to Miami, I read many threats but still confused. We will be there on 07/16- 07/22 and we arrive and depart at FLL. We have some business on 07/17-07/18 near MIA, so should we rent a car and book hotel near FLL or MIA? Also, we are under 25, it's really expensive to rent a car in FL, is it possible to travel around Miami without a car? Should we rent hotel near FLL or MIA? Any recommend places we should go?

It is our first time travel to Miami so I'm really appropriated if you guys can help us!! Thanks!!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 12:50 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
First, welcome to FT.

What do you like or plan on doing while you are there? Just lay out on the beach? Do you like a lot of night life activities? Do you prefer sight-seeing? Museums? Fishing? Do you want to spend money or are you trying to keep the costs as far down as possible? If you are willing to spend money what is more important, spending it on activities, parties, hotel, etc.?

Are you paying for your hotel, car, etc.? Or are you using points of some type (CC points, hotel points, etc.)? Do you have elite status with any hotel and prefer to stay there if possible?

Basically, different people are looking for all sorts of different vacations. I personally like Ft. Lauderdale much more than I do Miami, but I'm not a big party person and South Beach does absolutely nothing for me. But others love that area.

I did a search in this forum using the terms "better Miami Lauderdale" (no quote) and quite a few threads popped up including:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flori...dale-keys.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flori...rsuade-me.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flori...s-east-fl.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flori...ights-r-r.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flori...l-january.html

If you have a specific hotel chain you prefer better (Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, SPG, etc.) then I might suggest visiting those forums and doing a similar search for threads for each location.

As for getting a car, that is almost required in the area everything tends to be spread out so much. But I would think you could probably Priceline (or similar) a car for fairly cheap down there. But do note that some hotels (especially the nicer on the beach ones) may charge for parking.

Though depending on where you stay, I do believe both areas have Water taxis that can get you around to lots of places.

Search around both this and some of the various hotel forums and if you still have more questions, feel more than free to ask.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Wirelessly posted (WP 8.0 / Nokia Black: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows Phone 8.0; Trident/6.0; IEMobile/10.0; ARM; Touch; NOKIA; Lumia 521))

I think a significant part of the "where to stay" question needs to be based on the "have business in MIA" question.

Precisely where in Miami? In the airport area, or downtown, or the suburbs such as Kendall, etc.

In general, public transportation does exist, but it is geared to the needs of commuters going to/from their jobs, as opposed to touring visitors.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jul 3, 2014 at 2:43 pm Reason: Fix typos
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
...I think a significant part of the "where to stay" question needs to be based on the "have business in MIA" question.

Precisely where in Miami? In the airport area, or downtown, or the suburbs such as Kendall, etc...
It wasn't "in MIA," it was "near MIA." I assume that means the airport, since the poster was intelligent enough to write "Miami" when he/she meant the city. (There was someone else recently who said he planned to spend four days in MIA. I was tempted to post that he'd be quite bored after the first unless he really likes watching airplanes.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.