Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Was there a time when arriving MIA int'l pax didn't have to claim and re-check bags?

Was there a time when arriving MIA int'l pax didn't have to claim and re-check bags?

Old Apr 2, 2014, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL

I'm trying to convince someone that it is, in fact, necessary to claim baggage, go through customs, and re-check it for connecting domestic flights when arriving from an international flight at MIA. She claims that MIA is/was an exception to this rule. Is that true now (MIA's own website sure doesn't imply that), or was it ever true?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:01 pm

Intl to intl connections at Miami for certain airlines do not require bags to be claimed and rechecked. So your friend may have flown from say London to some Caribbean destination and had their bags checked straight through.

Look up ITI bags on FT and you will probably find some info on the AA or BA forums. For intl to domestic you would always have to claim and recheck.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
In addition to ITI, there's also arrivals from pre-clearance locations (like Aruba) which doesn't require retrieval of bags. Also, believe it was true years and years ago.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL
Yes, I know intl-to-intl connections are exempt, and arrivals from preclearance locations are exempt--she's insisting that MIA was "always an exception" for intl-to-domestic. OK, I'm not the crazy one. Thanks.
Old May 3, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: SPG Plat AA EXP 2.5MM
I have to disagree on International to International being exempt. I fly GCM-MIA-YUL four or five times a year and I always have to pick up my bags in MIA and clear customs them re-check to YUL. Pre- Sept 11 ITI was an option.This is on AA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.