Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury stays in FL?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Luxury stays in FL?

We are going to be in Sarasota late May 2014 and are hoping to take a driving trip afterwards.

My thoughts were to spend a few days in Miami Beach (The Betsy? or?); a few days at The Breakers and then I was thinking we might head toward the Keys.

I see great reviews on TA for Little Palm Island Resort but not much love for it here on FT. The threads are a bit dated, though - has it perhaps been renovated recently? Or is Cheeca Lodge a better way to go?

We have to end up back in Sarasota - is it worth a stop in Naples?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Live in Naples year round but spend many weekends a year traveling around to our better resorts here in the State of Florida. My favorites in descending order are:

1. The Breakers
2. Tranquility Bay in Marathon (yes a condo resort in as South Pacific setting as you will find anywhere in Florida
3. Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada
4. Marriott Marco Island
5. Ritz Carlton Amelia Island (Jacksonville area)

Beware of the Ritz Carlton in Naples. Just recently redone, its room rates and meal/beverage prices are the highest in Florida and the place is just not worth it!

Worldspan
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:57 am

SE Florida

Just a word of caution about Southeast Florida: Most luxury properties in South Beach and Fort Lauderdale are surrounded by "regular" hotels, crappy tourist stores, and restaurants that are not fine-dining. They also share the public beach with everyone.

Also, you can't always trust photos on hotel websites. The Bahia Mar hotel near me in Fort Lauderdale has digitally removed other high-rises from the photos on their website. Glancing at the "The Betsy" website, they appear to use angles that hide the street in some of their pictures.

Of course, you may know all of that. But, some people come here expecting to lay on the beach with cocktails served by the hotel. Unfortunately, sometimes the beach is across the street past the public restrooms.

If you want the full luxury experience, I'd do with worldspan's suggestions.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Thank you both for these helpful replies.

I am a bit wary of hotels in FL as having stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in Sarasota and finding it lacking, it makes me think perhaps the standards are different there than in other states.

But I know so little about FL. For example, had to look Marco Island up on the map, was totally unaware of it, so thank you for that suggestion.

If not The Betsy in Miami Beach, which gets high ratings, is there someplace else you would recommend?

And if not the RC in Naples, is there another recommendation there?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:37 pm

I'm not saying that The Betsy isn't a great hotel. (I've never even walked past the place.) I'm just saying that the luxury experience is going to end when you leave the hotel.

Since I live in South Florida, I've never stayed at hotels here. And, the people I know that come to visit tend to stay at mid-scale hotels. I'm afraid I don't have much in the way of suggestions.

And, I'm not saying you shouldn't visit Southeast Florida. Most hotels here are urban/city hotels...not full-fledged resorts. If you know that going in, you won't be disappointed.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: Still working on being loyal
Originally Posted by ejong
Thank you both for these helpful replies.

I am a bit wary of hotels in FL as having stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in Sarasota and finding it lacking, it makes me think perhaps the standards are different there than in other states.

But I know so little about FL. For example, had to look Marco Island up on the map, was totally unaware of it, so thank you for that suggestion.

If not The Betsy in Miami Beach, which gets high ratings, is there someplace else you would recommend?

And if not the RC in Naples, is there another recommendation there?
I know a lot of people that live in Miami and vacation to Naples to get away from it. Naples is a nice spot, very relaxed, a variety of upscale shopping, dining, and great beaches.

The Keys are good for a day or two but if you don't have a boat you're limited to beaches. The drive is fun in my opinion, and if you have free time you can stop on the way at any attraction that appeals to you. You could take the scenic route down US41 instead of i75, stopping at Everglades City on the way. The Rod and Gun club is a good place for lunch.

There are two RitzCarlton's in Naples, on on the beach and one at the Tiburon Golf Course. The beach location was just remodeled, it's alright. They also just finished a 3 month beach re-nourishment program in the county. So they are looking good. Great if you are a beach person.

Other hotels are La Playa just a bit north of the Ritz.

The Waldorf, isn't directly on the beach a bit misleading in my opinion.

The Naples Beach Club is direct beach front.

Marco has the Marriott resort - never been but have heard good things, and the island has nice beaches.

Sanibel Island north of Naples is a nice little spot.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
The Breakers is in Palm Beach, no urban area near it. Amazing high end shopping and restaurants close by.

A couple others to consider - Don Ceasar in St Pete Beach, close to your final destination.
Biltmore in Coral Gables is nice as well.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:21 am

Semi - luxury?

I'm looking for a place to stay for 3 nights at the end of February down near Key Largo-Marathon. I want to bring a smile to my wife's face, and be accessible to some snorkeling for her and a10 year old.

Tranquility Bay looks awesome but too pricey.

Any suggestions for either access to better rates or less expensive places ($2xx/nt) ??
Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Check out the rates at Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada, should be more reasonable than Tranquility Bay. Contact a travel agent and ask them to contact Gogo Worldwide Vacations (they only sell wholesale to agents) who have far lower rates than the regular rack rates at Cheeca.

Worldspan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.