Search

Tampa, where to live

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Tampa, where to live

I am strongly considering a job in Tampa. Any thoughts on areas to live. My desire would be near some nightlife/dining but no loud partying keeping me awake, a good gym nearby, a Wholefoods or better Trader Joe's, other professionals, away from children.

I know Tampa has no downtown area per se. I've always liked the city on visits.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
You might look at Ybor City. There are some condos and apartments there and it has a night life.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: Marriott, SW, United
I live in Ybor City and love it. Condo options are limited and the neighborhood certainly has its problems. N0 retail in neighborhood. Powerhouse Gym is a short bike ride.

The Channel District is a growing area off of downtown. Good variety of rental space. Retail is following and there's bars/restaurants and retail opening up. The Powerhouse Gym is one of the best in town with a lot of room and variety. A trolley ride to Ybor City and less than a mile into downtown. There's a good grocery a couple of miles away and a Traders Joe opening up 15 minutes away.

Downtown is getting better too as four condo towers are now full. A good selection of bars, not much "nightlife". No gyms I'm aware of, ditto Channel District on the grocery.

South Howard is has much to offer but I do not believe there's much rental space. Young crowd, south Howard is lined with bars and restaurants. A few choices for gyms. Publix Green store in neighborhood with future TJ ten minutes away.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 1:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I am strongly considering a job in Tampa. Any thoughts on areas to live. My desire would be near some nightlife/dining but no loud partying keeping me awake, a good gym nearby, a Wholefoods or better Trader Joe's, other professionals, away from children.

I know Tampa has no downtown area per se. I've always liked the city on visits.
St Petersburg.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Showbizguru
St Petersburg.
I can't say I know enough about the housing situation in Tampa to comment on it, but I do know that I would not want to be commuting across the Frankenstein on a daily basis.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Showbizguru
St Petersburg.
Unless the OP is working in Westshore, living in Saint Petersburg could be a long commute.

It would help if the OP would narrow down their work location.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 8:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Unless the OP is working in Westshore, living in Saint Petersburg could be a long commute.

It would help if the OP would narrow down their work location.
South Tampa on W Gandy hence thought of Ybor City.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 6:28 am

West Gandy is a bit from Ybor but doable. The area around the Aquarium is closer. St Pete could be an option if you had close connections to the Gandy bridge since that is not as bad as the Howard Franklin. The Westshore area is another maybe. That would put you close to Westshore mall that has tons on restaurants.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: Marriott, SW, United
Working in that neighborhood puts you very close to a toll road that takes you into downtown, Channel District and Ybor City. On your first trip here, stay in Ybor City for a day or two to get the feel. It's a five minute drive to the Channel District, or trolley ride. The area is shaped like a rectangle so I'd take a walk from end to end to see the housing available. The northern end has the Powerhouse Gym which is excellent. The condos next door have a couple of bars and other shops. Younger crowd lives in the neighborhood.
To bad you're not in a rush, I have a beauty available in YC now.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Central Ave in downtown St Pete seems to be on the rise. Have the option for a high rise condo or apartment building. A Trader Joe's is going in on 4th street minutes away from downtown and Fresh Market a few more blocks north. Restaurants on Baywalk are dog-friendly. Quite a few bars with several craft breweries. Not sure on the future of the old Pier or the Rays.

If you are interested in St Pete, check with the Chamber of Commerce. They have a re-location info packet.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Well, first, where in the Bay Area is the job? You can end up with some long commutes living in Ybor (downtown Tampa) and driving to downtown St Pete, or vice versa.

Seems both Tampa and St Pete have their 'party' zones. Ybor in Tampa, Central Ave in St Pete. St Pete also has the BayWalk area for nightlife and Jannus Landing nearby.

Tampa's Channel District or even Harbour Island can get you close to the Ybor fun when you want it, but close to the Forum for sports events and concerts.

But have a job in Riverview or Sarasota or north Pinellas County and have a long drive after you recover from the night out.

Both sides of the bay have a Fresh Market with Trader Joes, etc built or on the way.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by FLgrr
Well, first, where in the Bay Area is the job? You can end up with some long commutes living in Ybor (downtown Tampa) and driving to downtown St Pete, or vice versa.

Seems both Tampa and St Pete have their 'party' zones. Ybor in Tampa, Central Ave in St Pete. St Pete also has the BayWalk area for nightlife and Jannus Landing nearby.

Tampa's Channel District or even Harbour Island can get you close to the Ybor fun when you want it, but close to the Forum for sports events and concerts.

But have a job in Riverview or Sarasota or north Pinellas County and have a long drive after you recover from the night out.

Both sides of the bay have a Fresh Market with Trader Joes, etc built or on the way.
Op posted "South Tampa on W Gandy hence thought of Ybor City." for work location.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Op posted "South Tampa on W Gandy hence thought of Ybor City." for work location.
Thank you, just missed it

Ybor would not be too difficult to get to Gandy. You can use the Lee Roy Selmon expressway or the local roads. You wont want to take I275 since that does not go toward Gandy. Decent scenic drive on Bayshore Blvd.

Hyde Park in S Tampa would be more residential. The channel District would be a little south, but you wont gain much in the commute. Nor do Ybor or the channel District have the grocery stores. They are in South Tampa/Hyde Park direction. One issue with crossing downtown using Bayshore is the use of Channelside Dr. the Tampa Bay Times Forum is just east of the River into downtown. If there is event, you are driving through the event traffic as you get closer to event time. Might need to time your commute to avoid that. But there is not an event every night. Or coming in Kennedy over the river, you wind through downtown to get to The Channel District or Ybor.

With the Channel District or Ybor you are in the city. South Tampa/Hyde Park is more residential feeling. there are a few high rises in downtown Tampa as well. All will get ya close to the excitement. Ybor will keep you in more of walking distance. There are several condos you may rent (PM me and I will give you a Realtors name). Or The Quarters apartments are in Ybor close to the highway side of the area.

Many rental buildings in the Channel District - Slade, the Place, The Pierhouse. Also condos you can rent.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond
Alternatively, you could check out the Carrollwood area. There's a WF being built there now. It's more suburban than Ybor or of course "downtown" neighborhoods but you will get more for your money. There are plenty of high-end neighborhoods just outside of the city that offer all kinds of choices. I lived in Tampa for 8 years and worked with a good realtor there, happy to give you her name via PM.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I would suggest channelside.... But that's just me and maybe I am jaded as i live here

I work in westchase, about 22 miles and it takes me 30-35 minutes with traffic. Commuting to Gandy wouldn't be a problem from ybor or channelside as bayshore is a breeze. I wouldn't be concerned with the "sport" traffic as it doesn't last long and flows nicely. Its all about timing. I would however avoid Kennedy into downtown as that light at ashley is so poorly time it lets 5-8 cars go and thats it. They changed the north bound ashley lights to coincide with flow from kennedy to i275 but it still has a marginal impact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.