Search

What to see, NYC to Miami ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
What to see, NYC to Miami ?

Hi all.
I'm looking at a weeks worth of vacation. From Oz and have done 5 days in NYC previously, also done a RV run down the West coast (including Vegas).

Now, I can wrangle a week in July 2014 (I'm booked in and out of JFK).
I'm thinking (roughly) :
Jump the HS train down to Washington for a night (see the WH).
Next morning, lunchtime-ish, Amtrack it on a overnight sleeper down to Orlando.
Pick up a hire vehicle, see Kennedy Space stuff, then meander down towards Miami.
A City Flyer from MIA (or somewhere) back to JFK on the day of USA departure (which is at 11pm).

Can you help me fill 3 days once KSC is done. I'll have wheels.
Likes : flying and anything to do with it, cold beer, beach time, natural beauty (err.... as in mother nature), $100 per night accommodation
Non-likes : amusement parks (except, for a drive-by), ridiculous crowds
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
My very opinionated opinion is that St. Augustine is much more interesting than Miami. It's approximately 2 hours NE of Orlando via interstate highways I-4 & I-95. A few links:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trave.../st-augustine/
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trave...2.photogallery
http://www.staugustine.com/visit/
http://www.visitflorida.com/St_Augustine
http://www.getaway4florida.com/
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
I'm starting to get a feeling for this from Links and other threads.
I'd like a Everglades daytrip for one of the days - I'll be able to compare it with Croc Dundee and Kakadu.
A day on on one of the beaches seems a must - reading and drinking coffee.
A Miami shopping morning on the day I'm flying out
I also see there is a airshow scheduled for Pensacola Beach while I'm in the area - any comments, worth a look ?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by in2it54
I also see there is a airshow scheduled for Pensacola Beach while I'm in the area - any comments, worth a look ?
Be aware that Pensacola and Miami are approximately 675 miles apart.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA & jetBlue
Yea Pensacola and Miami are no where near each other. If you like beaches and nature Miami will be great. I say one day for a relaxing day on the beach and hanging around Miami Beach. Another to the Everglades. There is also Biscayne National Park which is a coral reef, you can do Snorkling there.

Plenty of shopping too. Tons of large malls. One of the biggest and cheaper outlet malls is right near MIA too.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
For flight related stuff sort of near KSC - Fantasy of Flight.

For Nature, there is a nice drive through the Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge, right near KSC.

For beach and beer and minimal crowds and cheap lodging, you can't really beat Cocoa Beach. The Four Points is decent, close to the beach and within your price range. There is a Hilton, Hampton Inn, and Courtyard also. Lots of good little bars/restaurants.

Last edited by pbiflyer; Nov 26, 2013 at 9:25 am
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
One last thought in the Cocoa Beach/KSC area. There is a fish camp a bit inland, with airboat rides and a nice deck on their bar/restaurant.
Lone Cabbage Fish Camp

Also, great fishing, kayaking, scenic drives along the Banana River and the Indian River Lagoon.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
[QUOTE=pbiflyer;21857305]For flight related stuff sort of near KSC - Fantasy of Flight.

Heard it's kinda cool, but is a ways from KSC.. maybe a 2hr drive or so. Not far from Disney though. If you plan on doing Fantasy of Flight, make a trip over to Tampa to see Ybor City and have a rolled cigar. Cigar City Brewery is also a popular place with many different brews on tap.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by in2it54
Hi all.
Jump the HS train down to Washington for a night (see the WH).
Next morning, lunchtime-ish, Amtrack it on a overnight sleeper down to Orlando.
Pick up a hire vehicle, see Kennedy Space stuff, then meander down towards Miami.

Can you help me fill 3 days once KSC is done. I'll have wheels.
Likes : flying and anything to do with it, cold beer, beach time, natural beauty (err.... as in mother nature), $100 per night accommodation
Non-likes : amusement parks (except, for a drive-by), ridiculous crowds
OP, why not just fly from Washington DC down to Orlando, unless you want to take the scenic tour? Is probably cheaper and less time consuming than 17+ hours on Amtrak.

Also, $100 / night in South Florida is kinda low pricepoint, particularly if location and amenities are important to you. You'll be lucky to find a place on the beach less than $150 a night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.