Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FLL to MIA (by means of ground....)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2013, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

So for a upcoming vacation I am flying via SW from CLE to FLL (as me and my gf have plenty of points and a cp pass).

We then have a flight from MIA to our destination via BA Avios on American Airlines Metal.

My question is what would be the cheapest means of transportation to get us from FLL Airport to Miami Airport?

I looked at taxi rates and am seeing $65 a person... Can I rent a car at FLL Airport for $30 or less, drive directly to MIA and drop the car off? Thats what I am leaning towards so far but I would love to hear any input
Old Mar 16, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA/HHonors

"Cheapest means" would be the "Tri-Rail" commuter train. There is a complimentary shuttle from each terminal at FLL that takes you to the station, and then the train to MIA takes about an hour, again with a shuttle to the airport from Hialeah Market station.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Leave lots of time for the train if you do that. Renting a car one way in Florida is usually easy and cheap, and will allow you to hit a restaurant etc of your choice on the way.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 8:11 pm
Formerly known as vgandhi

Programs: Delta 1 MM and Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Starwood Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Gold

Renting a car is cheaper but they have one way rental drop off fee usually $75 check with the rental company first.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I've taken the train on a couple of occasions and it's been fast and inexpensive, usually about $3.00. Including the free shuttle vans to and from the train stations, I've made it from MIA to FLL in under an hour before. To be on the safe side however, I would allow at least an hour and a half.

You should be able to find TriMet schedules on the internet. Good luck!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:44 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If you were to rent a car, make sure you rent it as a one way rental, the price may be a bit higher than thirty dollars.

Taxi's usually don't charge per person, it's per cab, I would double check that.

Shuttles are priced per person, think it's like $25 or so between the two airports -er passenger, plus maybe a small fee per bag.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Rates depend the time of year. In December it could be over $100 a day. In the summer rates are under $20.00. For one way rental from FLL drop off MIA I have never been charged any extra fee. They also have limos around $20.00 between the airports but renting a car at FLL is nice because the cars are right at the airport directly accross the street from terminals 1 and 2.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by kaminski6
So for a upcoming vacation I am flying via SW from CLE to FLL (as me and my gf have plenty of points and a cp pass).

We then have a flight from MIA to our destination via BA Avios on American Airlines Metal.

My question is what would be the cheapest means of transportation to get us from FLL Airport to Miami Airport?

I looked at taxi rates and am seeing $65 a person... Can I rent a car at FLL Airport for $30 or less, drive directly to MIA and drop the car off? Thats what I am leaning towards so far but I would love to hear any input
You can take Tri-Rail from Ft. Lauderdale Airport to Metrorail Transfer. There is free shuttle bus from Metrorail transfer. MIA Airport station is still remain closed. Due to the construction. They will take you to MIA terminal.

If you pay a regular fare or deeply discounted price. It's up to you. You must have a valid Tri-Rail ticket at vending machine before boarding the trains.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:40 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For more discussion and advice, please follow the thread as it moves to the Florida forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Does the train have a limit to how much luggage you can bring? We would each be carrying 2 large suitcases. $10 or so for a train ride would be perfect. We would have plenty of time bewt
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
GO Airport Shuttle is $52.90 for BOTH passengers and 2 bags. Check the website.

http://goairportshuttle.com/

Should be a lot easier than a train-- they will pick you up and deliver you terminal to terminal. And help you with your bags!

Last edited by menton1; Mar 18, 2013 at 6:30 pm
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by N830MH
You can take Tri-Rail from Ft. Lauderdale Airport to Metrorail Transfer. There is free shuttle bus from Metrorail transfer. MIA Airport station is still remain closed. Due to the construction. They will take you to MIA terminal.
Almost correct - the actual final station is Hialeah Market, not Metrorail Transfer (Metrorail transfer is the penultimate station, but it has no shuttle to the airport),

Does the train have a limit to how much luggage you can bring? We would each be carrying 2 large suitcases. $10 or so for a train ride would be perfect.
Not a limit per se, however, the shuttle bus at FLL is small (like a larger hotel shuttle) with some but not a ton of baggage space. The trains themselves are double-deck commuter trains with narrow aisles -when the train arrives at the Dania station (near FLL), you and your companion will need to move quickly to get the bags on board.

Check schedules carefully on the Tri-Rail website - keep in mind that service is concentrated in the commute hours and less frequent onthe weekends.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Almost correct - the actual final station is Hialeah Market, not Metrorail Transfer (Metrorail transfer is the penultimate station, but it has no shuttle to the airport),
Or if he can take metrorail to Earlington Heights. He can transfer to MIA Airport station. He have change trains at Earlington Heights. Look for Orange Line.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by N830MH
Or if he can take metrorail to Earlington Heights. He can transfer to MIA Airport station. He have change trains at Earlington Heights. Look for Orange Line.
Technically correct, but it's directionally backtracking, and more to the point, why would someone with large pieces of luggage want to make two transfers, rather than one?

Plus, the shuttle from Hialeah Gardens station deposits you on the airport Arrivals level (near the door to the North Terminal, Concourse E) - the MetroRail option drops at the Intermodal center, which requires even more schlepping of the luggage on the Sky train to the Airport terminal itself
Old Mar 30, 2013, 3:23 am

I have a similar situation.

When i booked BOS-FLL is only $59 one-way, I checked the Share-Shuttle. This is only 40 minutes(FLL-MIA) with no traffic. United is Terminal 1 at FLL airport. If i make at 4:47pm Tri Rail from(departing at) FLL station, i have no problem to arrive at the Miami airport at least 6pm. The main thing is how can i get there from Terminal 1 to FLL station on time. This is on Wednesday afternoon of September. Is it big traffic? How much the taxi price from FLL airport(Terminal 1) to Tri Rail FLL airport station? I think only 2~3 miles away from FLL airport.

That is why i have not decide yet which is better option is Tri Rail or Shuttle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.