24 Hours in Miami

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by jerryhung
There is a bus ($2.35) that goes MIA to South Beach

$2.35 AIRPORT FLYER bus service to South Beach
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...i_Florida.html

I just returned from 2-days in Miami, with rental car ($8/day, cheap), so you can do that too if you'd like
MIA is only 10-15 minutes away from Downtown/South Beach, in good traffic
Thanks jerryhung – I actually used this bus when I last visited South Beach to get back to MIA, thank you for reminding me that it exists!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by jada135
i think miami beach is awesome.Alot of good bars ,restaurants and condos you cant beat it for the price.
You mean you can't beat it for the OVERprice... (Condos???)
Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:30 am

Bayside Marketplace is a neat place to spend some time .
Old Jul 11, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Another bump...
I'm doing something similar to daftboy, but less convenient timings. In at 5:40 am and out at 6:50 pm. Travelling with 9yo daughter, so less into throngs of thongs than some might be. Neither of us has been anywhere in FL other than Jacksonville and Orlando, so any interesting history, nature or culture would be welcome. Any early-opening ideas? Advice on time we need to clear security at that time of the evening?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
What airline are you flying? Makes a huge difference. Delta - easy to clear security. American? Not so much. Do you have status on the airline you are flying?

As far as things to do....
Miami Children's Museum is an easy ride from the airport

Jungle Island
is just across the street.

You can take a little cruise and do some shopping from Bayside. Also an easy ride from the airport.

A stroll down Lincoln Road Mall in South Beach would be the other recommendation. A bit further afield but not too far.

Lastly Vizcaya Museum for a bit of history and a beautiful house/view.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:59 am

Thanks for those suggestions, gives me a great place to start. I am, it seems unfortunately, flying American, and I'm mid-tier with them (platinum). I've opted in to pre-check, but one never knows terribly far in advance if that makes a difference. Definitely have priority check in and I'm presuming Miami will have a separate lane, at least in D.

I hadn't planned on renting a car--when you say 'easy ride,' do you mean by public transport or driving?
Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2013, 4:53 pm

3 other suggestions:

Miami Science Museum:
http://www.miamisci.org/
Venetian Pool:
http://www.coralgables.com/index.aspx?page=167
Dolphin Mall (for shopping/entertainment):
http://www.shopdolphinmall.com/

Without a rental, taxi might be the best idea. For times in and out of MIA, what day of week you are traveling?
Old Jul 13, 2013, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Arsey00
I hadn't planned on renting a car--when you say 'easy ride,' do you mean by public transport or driving?
Thanks!
I have not done it, so not sure of the ease of use, but you can get to downtown (bayside and bayfront park) , Vizcaya, Miami Science Museum via Metro Rail and move around downtown with MetroMover.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:37 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Anthony Bourdain did a travel channel Layover for Miami:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xo2...l#.UeI41Zwbjb0
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
There is a bus ($2.35) that goes MIA to South Beach

$2.35 AIRPORT FLYER bus service to South Beach
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...i_Florida.html

I just returned from 2-days in Miami, with rental car ($8/day, cheap), so you can do that too if you'd like
MIA is only 10-15 minutes away from Downtown/South Beach, in good traffic
If you're still peeking back at this post, Jerry, where did you get an $8 a day rental car? I'd probably be happy with anything under $30-35 but that's not usually a day rate from an airport location, so I hadn't even considered it.

I'm there on Tuesday 27 Aug.

Upthread someone mentions an Everglades tour, which sounds interesting if its possible in the short time we're there. And the Anthony Bourdain video recommends a few restaurants that look our style (Garcia's, Michael's Genuine) in neighbourhoods that would make for good touring/sightseeing. Obviously we can't do both of those opposite-direction excursions in one day, but I wonder if either is even possible without a rental. If not, we'd probably like the vizcaya and a few of the museums, or the Miami river boat tour.

Now for the voting: Experts, which, if any, of the above can be done with enough time to get back to MIA for the less-than-a-breeze AA security?

Thanks so much everyone for your advice and input.

Last edited by Arsey00; Jul 14, 2013 at 9:02 am Reason: To correct the date
Old Jul 21, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
Since I don't think anyone else has mentioned it, let me recommend the zoo. We had a blast there. You can feed the giraffes! http://www.miamimetrozoo.com/article...goryId=1&Id=15
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Platinum, MLIFE Platinum
Just coming off of a 24 hour layover myself , south beach was pretty nice for people watching and food is decent. I couldn't spend more than 4-5 hours there unless you plan on drinking ..
Old Oct 3, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Good place for a seaside jog, with parking?

South Beach, park at 13th and Collins garage?
One of the parks in the area with public parking? Biscayne?
Do I need change for meters or do they take cards?
Any parks likely to be closed due to the federal shutdown this weekend?

Hurricane Karen is unlikely to cause an Mia travel waiver I assume, but maybe a lot of rain, so jogging might not be the best activity?

Last edited by fanger; Oct 3, 2013 at 10:14 am Reason: Add stuff
Old Oct 4, 2013, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by fanger
South Beach, park at 13th and Collins garage?
One of the parks in the area with public parking? Biscayne?
Do I need change for meters or do they take cards?
Any parks likely to be closed due to the federal shutdown this weekend?

Hurricane Karen is unlikely to cause an Mia travel waiver I assume, but maybe a lot of rain, so jogging might not be the best activity?
The 13th st garage usually fills up by 10AM. Meters take cc. If its a state park, no it won't be closed.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 5:40 am

Just thought I'd update for any future readers.

A friend in Naples warned us that all our plans would be scuppered by the impenetrable Miami traffic, so we gave up on the idea of exploring the Everglades before we even set out.
We decided on a bay boat tour instead.
We wasted a good two hours in the lounge waiting for showers to be ready, but eventually dropped our carry-on in another terminal and set out to Bayside with el cheapo Super Shuttle. Had plenty of time for any of the boat rides, shopping, a haircut and a hearty lunch. Frightened of the traffic, we took a taxi back but it really wasn't an issue. We then killed half an hour or more reclaiming out bag from left luggage, arrived at the lounge with time for a drink, and at the gate just in time to board.

Even with wasted time, 8 hours is plenty of time to get out, see some sights, and get back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.