Search

Dropping in on Mickey for a few hours?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Dropping in on Mickey for a few hours?

When I was a kid I always wanted to visit Disneyland. I watched the show every Sunday but never made it there. So many decades later I still haven't been there but I find myself in Orlando for a meeting. I'm pretty busy but can take a half day or so off on Monday or Tuesday. I'm staying near the convention center. I realize I won't get on rides and such, I really would just like to walk around a bit, see the castle and any other high points. Any tips or suggestions, do's or don'ts that I should be aware of would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Hmmmm.. Disneyworld is much larger than Disneyland, and you will have to choose a park you want to walk around.

I do know that conventions often offer tickets at a discount for admission after 4pm, but I've only seen them for Epcot Center.

If you want to walk around the Magic Kindgom to get the feel for the place, it's going to cost you about $80 for that afternoon/eveninig. You may get on some rides because you'll be a single.

High Points? There's lots of them, but really, sometimes it's just nice to grab a bite and sit around Main Street and watch the world go by enjoying the atmostphere. If you want dinner, try to get a reservation in the castle, particularly if they're doing fireworks that night.

I certainly would hang around for the Main Street Electrical parade, which has always been my favorite, as well as the fireworks. They don't do both every night off-season, so you might want to go to disneyworld.com and look at the calendar to see which night they both may be running.

Other than that, if you only have a few hours, eating, the parade and fireworks will take up a good chunk of your time.

I can't tell if you're there now, and how crowded it is. I know it will be packed the week before and after easter.

I once was able to drag a newbie such as yourself onto every single ride we wanted in one afternoon/evening, but I also know the place like the back of my hand and can get from point A to B in minimal time

Don't miss rides: Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, and just for kicks, Jungle Cruise. (in no particular order)

If you can get on the bulk of those, the rest will be gravy.

If you want, I'll try to give you a circular plan of attack to get the most bag for your buck and time.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for that information. I am there now so I'm not expecting very big crowds. I will check on what is happening in terms of parades and fireworks and maybe the concierge can help as well.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Parades and fireworks tonight and thunderstorms and stuff I need to do tomorrow so I'm going to check it out late afternoon and evening today.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
GREAT NEWS. FWIW - MCO is the thunderstorm capital of the country. I've seen some amazing lightening there.

The upside is that most often they pass quickly, and if it storms hard enough, people leave the parks.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 3:50 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
If you're there now, remember it is spring break!

Also, many shows and conventions will have half day tickets for folks like you at a big discount - knowing that you may only have an afternoon to explore!

Good luck!
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
When I was a kid I always wanted to visit Disneyland. I watched the show every Sunday but never made it there. So many decades later I still haven't been there but I find myself in Orlando for a meeting. I'm pretty busy but can take a half day or so off on Monday or Tuesday. I'm staying near the convention center. I realize I won't get on rides and such, I really would just like to walk around a bit, see the castle and any other high points. Any tips or suggestions, do's or don'ts that I should be aware of would be appreciated. Thanks.
I will be in the Orlando area with a similar agenda. I have absolutely no desire to do any roller coaster rides or such, and I don't want to spend a lot of time standing in lines. Did you do a short and not-too-expensive trip to any park that you can recommend for just walking around to see what it's all about?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tourist
I will be in the Orlando area with a similar agenda. I have absolutely no desire to do any roller coaster rides or such, and I don't want to spend a lot of time standing in lines. Did you do a short and not-too-expensive trip to any park that you can recommend for just walking around to see what it's all about?
I went to Disney World. I walked around and didn't go on any rides. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The parade and fireworks at closing were memorable. I was there from mid afternoon until closing. It wasn't cheap but for me it was well worth it.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
I like Animal Kingdom for the non-ride stuff. Great shoew and lots to see.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Purely for atmosphere and enjoying the non-ride experience, Epcot is the best by far.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: FB
Originally Posted by tourist
All four parks have their own distinctive charm. Epcot is particularly charming in the evening, Animal Kingdom is very nice on cooler days (it can get rather warm in the park). I have biased opinions of Magic Kingdom and Disney's Hollywood Studios due to visits to Disneyland Paris and Universal Studios.

Most conferences offer "after 2pm" tickets to Disney at a discounted rate; this might be of interest to you.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
Thank you, everyone (even if your park preferences are pointing in four different directions! ) .

Originally Posted by FrankC6
Most conferences offer "after 2pm" tickets to Disney at a discounted rate; this might be of interest to you.
It certainly is, I'll check it out.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I went to Disney World. I walked around and didn't go on any rides. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The parade and fireworks at closing were memorable. I was there from mid afternoon until closing. It wasn't cheap but for me it was well worth it.
Dream come true!

Next time, bring a loved one, or try the parks for 3 or 4 days.. there is so much to do, so many places to eat and try out.. plus the rides are generally pretty first class at Disney World..

We did Christmas last year in Magic Kingdom.. most amazing experience!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.