Search

BA Avios vs AY+ dilemma

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
BA Avios vs AY+ dilemma

I have most of my next quarter flights booked with a surprising number of AY longhaul C (creative routings with loong stopovers at homebase = good prices ^) and have this dilemma - where to credit them?

I am today OW sapphire at both. So far I've credited everything to BAEC, so AY earnings are zero.

With my upcoming flights I have the followin options

1/ Put everything to BA

Result: I'd hit BA Gold in the process, with a total 1850 TPs and the flights would yield 29k Avios

2/ Go for BA Gold and then credit AY flights to AY+

Result: BA Gold (emerald) + 17k Avios + 42k AY+ points

3/ OW Sapphire is good enough, put all to AY+

Result: 70k AY+ points and near to requlification later for AY+ Gold (which I don't really need as my BAEC sapphire is good thru May/2014)

Never been OW emerald - how big a step is it up the ladder?

Comparing the options it seems that BAEC is the best option even on AY own metal premium longhaul

1/ vs 2/ would equate 12k Avios with 42k AY+ points (IMO undervalues the Avios)

2/ vs 3/ would equate OW emerald + 17k Avios with 26k AY+ points - (sounds a very bad deal)

1/vs 3/ would equte OW emerald +29k Avios with 70k AY+ points (IMO undervalues the avios)

Any thoughts on this?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:17 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
For me Emerald is the s**t. I would probably divert all travel to another alliance or just stop caring about FFP at all if there wasn't a level above gold. But that is just me, and my travel pattern is not very "normal".

Access to first class lounges is the main emerald perk I value and use.
Sometimes I also use first class check in desk, JL and CX is very good in this respect. I found it to be a very good tool to reduce airport-stress.

Also, I value recognition. Depending on airline flown, emerald has pretty decent recognition. CX treats me very well both off- and onboard. (BA and QF couldn't care less for OW emeralds, but maybe they like their own emeralds better, I don't know.)

I'd say you should go for emerald on BAEC. In your case there is not much to lose. Even if you find out that it doesn't do the thing for you, you have very little use of the AY status. AY gold would give you 4 euro upgrades, which I guess is pretty useless when/if the new service concept comes into play in all euro traffic. And you are mostly flying BA anyway, right?

Alt 3 seems decent if you still fly AY a bit and can use the points for awards or such.

Alt. 2 seems the worst. And if rumors are true, you will soft land to silver anyway on AY.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Gold, Le Club des Actionnaires
It all depends on your further plans. I'd actually prefer alternative 2, on the assumption that AY business longhaul is something you can and would like to fly regularly. That is also the ONLY case I can see where AY+ is a good program. If you expect to continue flying a similar pattern for several years, and much less on BA, I'd even go for alternative 3. Reasons: 200% earning on longhaul C, good availability and rates for point upgrades from ANY economy booking class, 50% discount for reward tickets for under 12 yo's -> cheap family vacations in C. 42k points won't do that for you, though, so you should expect to fly again.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:53 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Just a point about Sapphire/Emerald. If you spend time in LHR, NRT, HKG and larger America airports, the difference between First lounges and the others is significant. Nicer facilities, (sometimes MUCH) better food and drinks. Better service.

I don't know how BA differentiates its elites, but AY gives preference in upgrades to Plats.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:18 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Just a point about Sapphire/Emerald. If you spend time in LHR, NRT, HKG and larger America airports, the difference between First lounges and the others is significant. Nicer facilities, (sometimes MUCH) better food and drinks. Better service.

I don't know how BA differentiates its elites, but AY gives preference in upgrades to Plats.
I'd say it's worth having Emerald (over Sapphire) with the airline you fly the most. Also, as pointed out, the F lounges are excellent at some locations (LHR,SYD,HKG etc.) but if you do not fly to/from/via major OW hubs the lounge value naturally goes away almost completely.

With AY the Plat status is good for the vouchers but if you fly J anyway that's then up to your private/family travel plans if they include AY or not.

Personally I've been extremely happy with BA with my current flight patterns...a lot via/with LHR/BA (kinda have learned to like LHR which I used to hate..)
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:26 pm

I think the first priority would be for me to obtain the OW Emerald, because it does not seem far away for you and as it has some more benefits, as the others have stated. Afterwards I would actually look into how much mileage you have with AY already. In case that you have

0 AY-points: Dont credit more there if the final balance is below an longhaul C upgrade.

Some AY-points: Credit as many more points, that they equal longhaul C upgrades.

Too many AY-points: Dont credit any more, you have enough! Who knows when you will ever use them, Avios instead you can use all the time for shorthaul and weird longhauls+upgrades.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
I think you definitely should get Emerald status, it really makes the difference. First Class check-in, First Class lounges, priority boarding, priority seating in Y, etc, etc. I don't know all the perks BA is offering for its top tier members but at AA the difference between Sapphire and Emerald is HUGE, the best perk being 8 systemwide upgrades per year for any fare classes, any flights and complimentary space available upgrades on US domestic flights. Go Emerald!
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat (OWS), W6 Discount Club, TK Elite (*G), ex-MA Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
I think you definitely should get Emerald status, it really makes the difference. First Class check-in, First Class lounges, priority boarding, priority seating in Y, etc, etc. I don't know all the perks BA is offering for its top tier members but at AA the difference between Sapphire and Emerald is HUGE, the best perk being 8 systemwide upgrades per year for any fare classes, any flights and complimentary space available upgrades on US domestic flights. Go Emerald!
But that much difference in case of AA flights is only for AA's own Emeralds, not Emeralds generally.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank for all for the ideas!

Initially I was going Avios all the way, but now I am leaning more towards the "go for (BA) Emerald first and then credit the AY C flights to AY+" route.

I do have AY+ points (unspent from previous 1-2 years + credit cards) so this would top it up.

My only problem with BA is that I fly longhaul typically south and east, where LHR could mean too long a detour. Sure I have done NRT via LHR more than once, but this fall I feel I rather fly direct, that's why the dilemma came up

====

Here's a tip for HEL based members, most of you probably know it already - with AY you can add VERY long stopovers in HEL to make the most of AY's preference of non-HEL pax and still carry on with you normal home based activities.

e.g I have the following routings

BKK-HEL(10 days stopover)-AMS (I actually have business in AMS)
AMS-HEL (2 weeks stopover)-CPH* and after 2 hrs at CPH lounge
CPH-HEL-NRT-HEL (6 weeks layover)-BUD

The last one is a shining example of AY pricing. Starting from CPH is ~500€ cheaper than starting from HEL. Add in the final BUD leg, the price drops by another 1000€. Routings terminating in BUD seem to drop the price most, TLL and ARN are also good. And as they are th elast legs, you may even just throw them away.

*this is a beauty, the AMS-HEL one way sells for 800€, I got this for 40€ + 80€ in taxes ^
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:01 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Thank for all for the ideas!

Initially I was going Avios all the way, but now I am leaning more towards the "go for (BA) Emerald first and then credit the AY C flights to AY+" route.
I think that makes perfect sense. Emerald is up for grabs, absolutely take it + crediting AY J flights to AY Plus makes as much sense as is possible with the program today. In your shoes I'd most likely do the same.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 1:20 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
I'd say it's worth having Emerald (over Sapphire) with the airline you fly the most. Also, as pointed out, the F lounges are excellent at some locations (LHR,SYD,HKG etc.) but if you do not fly to/from/via major OW hubs the lounge value naturally goes away almost completely.
I agree. But yesterday at LHR T3 the lounge dragon at the Galleries Club Lounge told an inquiring passenger that "First Lounge is basically the same". I chuckled, went inside and had a glass of 2005 Taittinger.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:26 am

Programs: AY Emerald
I agree. But yesterday at LHR T3 the lounge dragon at the Galleries Club Lounge told an inquiring passenger that "First Lounge is basically the same". I chuckled, went inside and had a glass of 2005 Taittinger.
With Emerald you may use the CX First Lounge in T3. Different experinence than BA's First. I always use CX First Lounge. Quite during those times I'm usually there in transit, like to food, like the view to runways, no obstacles like in BA First lounge. Very customer service oriented staff.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Laajo
With Emerald you may use the CX First Lounge in T3. Different experinence than BA's First. I always use CX First Lounge. Quite during those times I'm usually there in transit, like to food, like the view to runways, no obstacles like in BA First lounge. Very customer service oriented staff.
Oh, I like CX First Lounge too. And the fact that also Finnair Golds are able to use it.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oh, I like CX First Lounge too. And the fact that also Finnair Golds are able to use it.
Really? Flying Tuesday via LHR, must try to give it a spin! ^
Old Sep 9, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: AY Emerald
It has changed then? Earlier the first Class was only for Emeralds and Business for Gold card holders. Both CX First and Business lounge have the same entrance and reception. For the First you turn to the left towards windows, for the business to the right towards the wall and bathrooms.
Good luck, enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.