Easier to get better status

Old Nov 18, 2009, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Easier to get better status

Sorry, I don't have any detailed information. However, the editorial of the newest PlusNews (for basic status) states (by Ms Anna Korpi, Director, Customer Sales & Marketing) that you will need fewer miles to get higher status starting early next year.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by nordic
Sorry, I don't have any detailed information. However, the editorial of the newest PlusNews (for basic status) states (by Ms Anna Korpi, Director, Customer Sales & Marketing) that you will need fewer miles to get higher status starting early next year.
Some details wouldn't hurt. AY is said to be the toughest OW airline to achive status
Old Nov 19, 2009, 1:46 am

Programs: AY Silver. HHonors Gold & the other shiny cards you get with the AX plat
Originally Posted by nordic
Sorry, I don't have any detailed information. However, the editorial of the newest PlusNews (for basic status) states
It also states that point tranfers between family members will become possible. You can read the magazine here (in finnish only):
http://www.digipaper.fi/plusnews/35525/
Old Nov 19, 2009, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TapioR
It also states that point tranfers between family members will become possible. You can read the magazine here (in finnish only):
http://www.digipaper.fi/plusnews/35525/
Now THAT would be a real something. My family has accounts with useless 5-10k's lying around, transfering them all to me would make them useful!
Old Nov 19, 2009, 3:03 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Now THAT would be a real something. My family has accounts with useless 5-10k's lying around, transfering them all to me would make them useful!
Or how about not being selfish and transferring your points to their accounts so that they can use them instead?

Old Nov 19, 2009, 3:45 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Or how about not being selfish and transferring your points to their accounts so that they can use them instead?

Come on, don't be unreasonable.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 5:01 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Definion of a family: The persons using the same refridgerator?
Old Nov 19, 2009, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn

As the "designated travel arranger" of our family, that wouldn't make much sense
Old Jan 1, 2010, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA
Can anyone please confirm the new lower thresholds for acquiring and retaining status?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:14 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Probably the change is due to AY having fewer elite tier members flying than before.

Remembering that AY used to have somewhat generous tier point promotions some years back when one's elite membership was about to expire (eg 2000 additional tier points per flight) and that such schemes apparently are not used these days, it is no wonder the number of elite members may be smaller than before.

In any case, I suppose this will be a good move from AY, provided that the reduction in point requirements is substantial. At least they should fix the annoying fact that requalifying to Gold takes 210 000 points over two years whereas earning it from scratch only takes 180 000 points over two years.

Now if they only would publish the details.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 4:03 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
One friend explained the situation to me like this:

As Finnair has a small but export oriented home market they have had a number of "superfrequent flyers" in sales and general management positions. This has enabled them to keep the thresholds highest in the OneWorld alliance and probably of all main airlines.

Now that the European companies are suffering and cutting on biz travel Finnair has more need to get new frequent flyer customers who tend to be more demanding.

Even Cathay's MPC seems lenient compared to merciless Finnair Plus. Maybe this is about to change?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
At least you can still get silver with one Europe-Australia business class r/t. Right now they have it for 19200 SEK from ARN.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone has an update? When I talked a month ago with AY+ CS the lady had no clue when asked about the new improvements

This is my second year of AY Gold and would need another 130k points to requalify (last year went mainly requalifying for LH SEN)

I seriously consider jumping ship and join BA's FFP. One HEL-LHR-NRT r/t in C would get me to BA Silver (=AY Gold) and BA Gold (=AY Plat) would also be within reach in the following year. Credit C to BA and el-cheapo to AY

HEL-LHR-NRT r/t is not enough even for AY Silver...

(I still consider it highly ridiculous that one needs more points to RE-qualify than from starting from zero. With no elite-multiplier it means one actually should fly MORE to requalify )
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:16 am

Programs: AY Gold, BA Gold, DC premium
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Anyone has an update? When I talked a month ago with AY+ CS the lady had no clue when asked about the new improvements
Unfortunately only in Finnish. Starting from March you should get to the higher level with less points.

http://www.kauppalehti.fi/5/i/talous...=2010/01/29673
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:10 am

Programs: BA GGL&GfL, Finnair Plat, Vistara Plat, Hilton LT Dia, Accor Dia, Marriott Amb, Amex Centurion
Sorry, link in finnish.

http://www.kauppalehti.fi/5/i/talous...=2010/01/29673

According to Mikko Tuomainen from Finnair FF program, it looks like changes will be happening in March. "Significantly lower" is what he says about point requirements for status but nothing specific. But points will expire in three years, compared to five. You will also be able to transfer points between family members.

The news has also interesting points about how FF programs are included in accounting and how they can be useful help with fixing cashflow.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.