Connecting in MAN from AY to AA?

Old Dec 12, 2007, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GLD 1MM, AA PLT 2MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Question Connecting in MAN from AY to AA?

Didn't find anything on this or other forums, so here goes.

I'm bringing some relatives from HEL to the states connecting in Manchester. Having never been to MAN myself I have a couple of questions.

First the facts. They're flying HEL-MAN-ORD, first leg on AY (AA codeshare) in Y cabin, connecting to AA in C cabin. They arrive on Monday 3/31 at 920am to MAN with 1035am departure, thus a relatively short connection time of 1hr 15min. Airport website indicates AY uses terminal 1 and AA terminal 3, but the maps are unclear on how the connections would work.

- Is 1 hour 15 minutes a reasonable connecting time from AY to AA at that hour of week?
- Do they have to exit the secure area going from T1 to T3?
- Any other help / hint / links to make this doable for two retirees with less-than-perfect English?

Sami
Old Dec 12, 2007, 3:53 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by sam123
D
- Is 1 hour 15 minutes a reasonable connecting time from AY to AA at that hour of week?
- Do they have to exit the secure area going from T1 to T3?
- Any other help / hint / links to make this doable for two retirees with less-than-perfect English?
1:15 hours is somewhat tight but doable. I've done AY to BA connection there in about 35 minutes when my inbound was delayed - but this didn't leave much margin for error - nor a bathroom break . Mind you, this was back when both airlines were still in T3. But T1 and T3 are adjacent, so no large distances or shuttle buses to follow.

The procedure is quite simple: before the UK immigration there will a corridor marked "Transfer", "Flight connections" or something similar. Go there, follow it to a security checkpoint (I don't know why UK insists on doing this - so pointless), after passing it there will be signs for T1 and T3, follow the appropriate signs through some twisting corridors and elevators and sooner or later you should pop up somewhere in the middle of T3 airside. Proceed to the AA gate and get harassed yet again for another security check.

One caveat I see is that you need the AA boarding passes in order to be able to use the transfer route. I don't think there are any transfer desks where one could obtain these. Hopefully AY in HEL is able to issue these - or maybe online checkin works for the AA flight (which I seriously doubt). Otherwise one has to do the landside shuffle and that will take a lot more time - including fighting through the shopping mall and food gallery between T1 and T3 and checking in and clearing security in T3, which is usually very crowded in peak times.

I hope it all is booked as one ticket and not as two separate ones - in the first case should anything bad happen they will get rebooked on a later flight (via LHR presumably).
Old Dec 12, 2007, 7:07 am

FlyingFinn explains the process far better than I could.

AY should be able to check you in all the way through, HEL-MAN-ORD is actualy a very popular connection. If not, then there are transfer desks and they should be able to help you out.

The connection is a little tight, but perfectly achievable assuming the AY flight is ontime. Like also mentioned, if it all goes tits up the reroute via LHR is the fallback option, but with the inconvenience that the C upgrade probably won't stick.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), SAS EBG
I did the connection a month ago, albeit from SK to AA. But SK also arrives at T1 so the procedure should be the same.

Follow the signs for Transfers when arriving. In order to get from T1 to T3 you (or your parents) will need to take a bus. They will call the bus from the transfer desk and it should arrive within 6 minutes. They drive you to T3 where you will pass through security. (I doubt that you can walk.)

If you do not have a boarding pass (I didn't) it was enough to show the itinerary from AA. After security a gentleman showed me to the AA gate where AA printed boarding passes, looked thorugh my passport, asked if I packed my bagfs myself, asked why I was going to the US etc.

I hade 1h15min to my disposal and it worked out fine - but the SK flight was on time (actually a bit early) and noone else was transferring so every thing went very smooth.

If AY is delayed you may get in trouble as they most likely wait for connecting passengers. But there are several possibilities to connect via LHR.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by spanishflea
HEL-MAN-ORD is actualy a very popular connection.
Indeed and hopefully you (sam123) will be reassured by the fact that they are unlikley to be the only ones worrying about this connection on the day.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:17 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by GetAA81Back2ARN
Follow the signs for Transfers when arriving. In order to get from T1 to T3 you (or your parents) will need to take a bus. They will call the bus from the transfer desk and it should arrive within 6 minutes. They drive you to T3 where you will pass through security. (I doubt that you can walk.)
Interesting. I saw signs for T3 pointing down one corridor in my intra-T1 transfer, and simply assumed that this would indicate it being possible to make the transfer by walking. I stand corrected.

Originally Posted by GetAA81Back2ARN
If you do not have a boarding pass (I didn't) it was enough to show the itinerary from AA. After security a gentleman showed me to the AA gate
Again interesting. My trip was HEL-MAN-LHR-MAN-HEL (cheaper ticket, more miles and better timings for my purposes) and on the return journey the BA SS machines wouldn't issue me a boarding pass for the AY MAN-HEL flight. At MAN they didn't let me transfer airside since I didn't have a boarding pass - a printed e-ticket receipt and itinerary did not help. My colleagues who checked in the old fashioned way at Heathrow were issued AY BPs and were allowed to transfer. This cost me at least 30 minutes of precious beer drinking time at the nice BA Terraces in MAN (it pays off to have an AY Plat as a colleague ).
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
I hope it all is booked as one ticket and not as two separate ones - in the first case should anything bad happen they will get rebooked on a later flight (via LHR presumably).
Thanks all for replying!

Their travel is booked as one ticket, and they are using my eVIPs to upgrade the AA metal legs Y -> C. Therefore if they miss the connection and get rerouted it'll be back of the bus!

It's good to know it's a popular connection, should result in no-hassle all-through BP's being issued at HEL.

Sami
Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

turnaround & transit thread

Didn't find anything on this or other forums,...
This thread collects turnaround & transit information. A summary is being built up on post 288 by myself & Kiwiflyer. Post 210 has a link to MAN
Old Dec 15, 2007, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Again interesting. My trip was HEL-MAN-LHR-MAN-HEL (cheaper ticket, more miles and better timings for my purposes) and on the return journey the BA SS machines wouldn't issue me a boarding pass for the AY MAN-HEL flight. At MAN they didn't let me transfer airside since I didn't have a boarding pass - a printed e-ticket receipt and itinerary did not help. My colleagues who checked in the old fashioned way at Heathrow were issued AY BPs and were allowed to transfer. This cost me at least 30 minutes of precious beer drinking time at the nice BA Terraces in MAN (it pays off to have an AY Plat as a colleague ).
It may be that the gentleman in the "transfer desk/transit security" actually called "someone" to verify it was ok the let us thorugh. I must admit I don't remember that part. But I do remember being let through without a proper BP.

All in all - Manchester is very nice airport to connect through as they are so much more friendly there (compared to the zoo at LHR/LGW).

Of course it was better when AY arrived in terminal 3 (and flew from ARN) but it still a nice airport.

Last edited by GetAA81Back2ARN; Dec 19, 2007 at 12:13 pm Reason: Changed with to without
Old Dec 16, 2007, 8:52 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Done this before, and yep, they'll need AY to issue the BP's in HEL. AY had no problem doing this for me. And yep, the BA person at the "transfer" area will need to see these to let your people thru the corridors.

If your people are AA Plats or higher, I'd def. recommend a stop at AY's lounge in HEL. And, the AA flight is significantly delayed, I'd suggest a stop at the BA Terraces Lounge in MAN, as it def. beats the term. area downstairs. But, that's only if time permits...the time they've got as is may be too tight for the lounge visit.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skye1
Done this before, and yep, they'll need AY to issue the BP's in HEL. AY had no problem doing this for me. And yep, the BA person at the "transfer" area will need to see these to let your people thru the corridors.
Thanks for confirmation. Is there a walkway/corridor between the two terminals, or is that a bus connection? Didn't seem to get a consensus on that one yet.

If your people are AA Plats or higher, I'd def. recommend a stop at AY's lounge in HEL.
No status, and no time at MAN as you say. But once in the air flying C in the NGBC 767-300 on their next two legs should make up for lack of lounging
Old Dec 21, 2007, 11:10 am

Thanks for confirmation. Is there a walkway/corridor between the two terminals, or is that a bus connection? Didn't seem to get a consensus on that one yet.
I am pretty sure there is no walkway between the terminals (unless you leave airside). The way I was guided by the signs I could not find any way to avoid bus transfer. But it did work out smoothly.

No status, and no time at MAN as you say. But once in the air flying C in the NGBC 767-300 on their next two legs should make up for lack of lounging
They should, if time permits, have lounge access anyway as they are flying international C. If they connect in ORD they should have access to Admirals Club as well as they arrive on international C.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 5:37 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Thanks for confirmation. Is there a walkway/corridor between the two terminals, or is that a bus connection? Didn't seem to get a consensus on that one yet. ...
T1 and T3 are actually a single building (T3 was built a decade later than T1 and is much nicer, originally entirely occupied by BA but now BA has cut back most of its MAN service). There is both a walkway and a bus for transfer (the bus also runs to T2, which is a separate terminal and cannot be reached airside except by bus). Walking is the preferred way to go, and takes about 10 minutes if you walk slow (5 min is more typical). So it is a very easy connection. The transfer desk at T3 can issue BP and I presume T1 can do the same, so getting the AA BPs in HEL is desirable but not essential. I've gone through MAN at least a dozen times and it is a very easy transfer. The staff are lightly loaded so they are happy to help if your relatives need it.

One caveat: the AA flight almost always leaves on time (for lots of reasons AA works very hard to accomplish this), and the 2 times that I flew AY in HEL my flights were over 1 hour late. Which might be just enough to miss the connection....but not to worry, if AA MAN-ORD is missed in J, a reroute MAN-LHR-ORD is easily done esp. for a J ticket, as there are dozens of daily flights LHR-USA. Maybe one of the better places to have a tight connection to a once-a-day flight. The BA MAN-JFK flight leaves just before the AA one, so it isn't useful for reroute purposes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.