Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
We were a few days in Nusa Dua at the Conrad - could have been any high end beach resort anywhere and it was wonderful. No, you don't get in touch with Balinese culture in Nusa Dua, but you get top end hotels, service, food, etc.

Then we moved to Ubud, again a very high end Royal Kamuela Villas - own villa with private pool...

But Ubud was something wonderful in itself, and from here we made trips up north to the countryside and the vulcano

Kuta -> the Playa Inglés for Australians

So back to the topic - HEL-DPS would be one of my favourite routes.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: AY Platinum
I would describe Bali as "similar to, yet slightly less chaotic than Thailand", but I guess that might also depend on where you went.

Would be an interesting route, though. So far I've flown to Bali from three different places (HKG, SIN, ICN) so would be nice to add another flight to the list

However, I'd be more likely to go check out Busan. Korea deserves another destination. Japan and China already have plenty.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by heatsink
I would describe Bali as "similar to, yet slightly less chaotic than Thailand", but I guess that might also depend on where you went.

Would be an interesting route, though. So far I've flown to Bali from three different places (HKG, SIN, ICN) so would be nice to add another flight to the list

However, I'd be more likely to go check out Busan. Korea deserves another destination. Japan and China already have plenty.
Afaik South Korea has some kinda policy against that kind of flights. Currently Busan has no intercontinental flights.

However, there are many connecting flights to ICN, especially in the morning. Funny to see 747s flying 30 minute route
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by reflektia
Afaik South Korea has some kinda policy against that kind of flights. Currently Busan has no intercontinental flights.

However, there are many connecting flights to ICN, especially in the morning. Funny to see 747s flying 30 minute route
I understood that some of the lack of intercontinental routes from Busan has to do with the high terrain surrounding the airport. Thus taking off with a widebody aircraft and full payload might not be possible. There are plans to build a new runway facing the sea but it will take many years before that runway is operational.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by haapalainen
I understood that some of the lack of intercontinental routes from Busan has to do with the high terrain surrounding the airport. Thus taking off with a widebody aircraft and full payload might not be possible. There are plans to build a new runway facing the sea but it will take many years before that runway is operational.
Currently both runways are in north-south direction (18L/R and 36L/R). In south there is only sea, but in north there are mountains quite nearby. So I wonder if that is the reason?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:00 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by reflektia

Korea is one of top destinations for EU/Finnish/AY trade negotiators. In this regard they tend to be quite protectionistic... Meaning the Koreans!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Korea is one of top destinations for EU/Finnish/AY trade negotiators. In this regard they tend to be quite protectionistic... Meaning the Koreans!
ICN is probably the only airport where terminals are determined by airline nationality. Especially as the foreign airlines are dumped in the satellite terminal only reachable by underground train.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:00 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
As the big-off-topic:er I am I must second this question! Perhaps we should open a thread "My favourite (existing or future) AY destination and why".

I've been to Bali once and hated it. Would only go back if booked into a walled all inclusive place, to sip drinks by the pool and watch people trim the grass with nail-clippers.
Been there twice and couldn't agree more. (All around the Island, not just the main tourist areas). Don't get all the hype it gets..so many other gems around S.E. Asia
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by mosburger
ICN is probably the only airport where terminals are determined by airline nationality. Especially as the foreign airlines are dumped in the satellite terminal only reachable by underground train.
I must say that I am much more worried about other things than airport terminals in Soul just now. Maybe they are worried at Finnair,too
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE), NH Super Flyers & Platinum (SAG), DL Gold Medallion (STE+)
Originally Posted by ylefin
I must say that I am much more worried about other things than airport terminals in Soul just now. Maybe they are worried at Finnair,too
Finnair used to fly over the territory of North Korea
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mogumogu
Finnair used to fly over the territory of North Korea
Must have been quite a while ago, definitely not this century. I never saw the moving map take us into/over DPRK territory. I had to go to the JSA to do that for 5 meters or so.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heatsink
KUL (MH) and BKK (TG) for me
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE), NH Super Flyers & Platinum (SAG), DL Gold Medallion (STE+)
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Must have been quite a while ago, definitely not this century. I never saw the moving map take us into/over DPRK territory. I had to go to the JSA to do that for 5 meters or so.
It relieves me to hear, unless AY aircraft comes into collision against a missile.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:39 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Must have been quite a while ago, definitely not this century.
Finnair (with several other airlines) used North Korean airspace at least 2-3 years ago, also crossing the NK territory briefly in NE corner.

More information: Who’s using North Korean airspace?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by esledo
Finnair (with several other airlines) used North Korean airspace at least 2-3 years ago, also crossing the NK territory briefly in NE corner.

More information: Who’s using North Korean airspace?
At least nowadays Finnair flights to/from Japan seem to go around northeastern corner of China, which makes them to avoid NK as well. Probably to avoid some overfly fees or some other bureaucracy from China. And I have vague recollection noticing similar slight detour in moving map more than 2-3 years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.