Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by intuition
Sitting in DOH watching the board for odd Finnair codeshare flights, like AY6021 Male, AY6019 Seychelles, 6007 capetown, 6009 Joburg. I guess they must have been around since the start of HEL-DOH
Yes, they were announced in October: http://news.cision.com/finnair/r/fin...ngers,c2098337

Haven't tried to book yet though.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:24 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Abducted Alien
Where to book those; AY site gives only BA for CPT. Hope it is not CWT booking.
Classic Finnair. Make codeshare agreements. Don't put in any fares in the system.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Let's see when Finnair tells about Nanjing.

The negotiations agreed that airlines would be able to start traffic between Finland and Nanjing.
In finnish: http://valtioneuvosto.fi/artikkeli/-...nejarjestelyja
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by OH-LGG

I'd be more excited about RVN-PEK. Not that I would take such a flight but among the very few scheduled international flights we have from Finnish upcountry airports, that one would really stand out!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by ffay005
I'd be more excited about RVN-PEK. Not that I would take such a flight but among the very few scheduled international flights we have from Finnish upcountry airports, that one would really stand out!
You get exited about charter flights?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton

Lufthansa flies FRA - NKG as well as Cathay HKG - NKG.

I personally love Nanjing, my third favourite city in China after Suzhou (Jiangsu) and Weihai (Shandong) and due to its central location a perfect gateway to other cities like Wuhan or much of Jiangsu, Zhejiang and Anhui provinces.

I do believe this could be a seasonal route similar to Xi'an. It's an important business and academic city but at the same time one of the true jewels of Chinese civilization.

Nanjing could also be an alternate destination for AY if they fail to get a second daily to and from PVG as it gradually seems.

Shanghai/Kunshan/Suzhou to Nanjngnan is all in a 50 min - 1h 15min bracket by bullet train and then another short rail connection from there to the airport.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
NKG is not a good alternative for PVG. It's not connected to railway, or at least it wasn't when I was there.

When it comes to railway connections in western China, SHA (Hongqiao) would be the best. But I guess long-haul is not allowed there?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
I think it's quite sad that Finnair is promoting their Asian strategy but Nanjing seems to be the only new destination in China during the next two years.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:17 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Agree. Would be nice to see also something interesting outside China. Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Manila for example. I miss Hanoi, too. But these are only dreams I guess.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:55 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
Agree. Would be nice to see also something interesting outside China. Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Manila for example. I miss Hanoi, too. But these are only dreams I guess.
Didn't they try KUL and failed..?

Jakarta would never work for AY and Manila is very risky, too, unless they make it a semi-charter for winter with some tour company
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:16 pm
R2

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Didn't they try KUL and failed..?

Jakarta would never work for AY and Manila is very risky, too, unless they make it a semi-charter for winter with some tour company
They announced KUL a few years ago but cancelled before the flights started.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by R2
They announced KUL a few years ago but cancelled before the flights started.
During the DO with AY+ I asked the CEO about KUL, he said no, it's too close to SIN.

But HAN and SGN would deserve a year round daily, as would CAN.

MNL might be too off the beaten track/too far for reasonable schedules, whatever. Other than these I don't really see new non-Chinese destinations for AY. (of course a HEL-DPS would be my wet dream and would blow probably all my stash on it )
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by Courmisch
NKG is not a good alternative for PVG. It's not connected to railway, or at least it wasn't when I was there.

When it comes to railway connections in western China, SHA (Hongqiao) would be the best. But I guess long-haul is not allowed there?
Timewise it is from anywhere west of Shanghai (Kunshan, Suzhou, Wuxi, Changzhou etc.) where a lot of the passengers for the AY PVG - HEL flight originate.

You have to change from HSR to subway at Nangjingnan but that's still easier and faster than getting to Pudong on rail.

It is possible to connect to the AY HKG flight from SHA on KA with several hours layover but not from HKG to SHA (10 am departure) due to afternoon arrival of AY from HEL.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by mosburger
Timewise it is from anywhere west of Shanghai (Kunshan, Suzhou, Wuxi, Changzhou etc.) where a lot of the passengers for the AY PVG - HEL flight originate.

You have to change from HSR to subway at Nangjingnan but that's still easier and faster than getting to Pudong on rail.
There was not yet a metro line to Lukou when I went there 3 years ago. I stand corrected.

Nowadays, my colleagues and I would have more use for HGH or (very unlikely to happen due to HKG closeness) SZX.

Originally Posted by mosburger
It is possible to connect to the AY HKG flight from SHA on KA with several hours layover but not from HKG to SHA (10 am departure) due to afternoon arrival of AY from HEL.
There is no point. SHA would be advantageous only if it had a direct flight. It is directly connected to HSR, and it is on the west side of Shanghai. Admittedly, you might have to take the subway to change terminal.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:40 am
R2

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
During the DO with AY+ I asked the CEO about KUL, he said no, it's too close to SIN.
KUL is too close to SIN but CAN is not too close to HKG ?

I do realise it's not that straightforward...I think the real reason is that any potential new destination (KUL, MNL, CGK, DPS) which might have the customer demand but is on the limit of the 24 hour turnaround time from HEL is a tough call for AY.

The other reason is the continuous increase of services to these cities by the ME3 airlines with great connections from all major cities in Europe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.