Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2016, 4:56 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Courmisch
So Finnair competing with FI? Do we know the weekly schedule? I'd assume two morning and two afternoon pairs.
AY 603
Helsinki Vantaa (HEL), 16:10 Keflavik International (KEF), 17:00
Non-stop
Tuesday
Thursday
Saturday

Finnair
AY 601
Helsinki Vantaa (HEL), 07:45 Keflavik International (KEF), 08:35
Non-stop
Friday
Old Aug 18, 2016, 6:40 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
From HKG or SIN.
Morning departure 831 to LHR and plane is back as 832 15:15 and ready for afternoon wave. No problem.
I know right.

But an A350 needs to go back to HKG (or SIN) at midnight. It's either the one that came from HKG (or SIN), and went to LHR and back, or it's swapped with one that just came from another Asian outstation. Either way, one A350 has to sit in HEL between the arrival wave, and midnight (two on days of SIN operations).

Leaving aside delay catch-up and maintenance, that time could also be used for a round-trip to Europe. But I guess it would be too tight to risk it?

Oh well. I'd rather they increased AY837 frequencies than double capacity on AY831
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Yep, you are right.
The A350 from London is currently scheduled for a quick turn-around in HEL to BKK or ICN, PEK and PVG being alternatives.
HKG flights have some slack time in HEL after having returned from an Asian flight in late afternoon.

Adding an extra intra-European flight between the afternoon arrival and departure to HKG would be very tight timetable-wise.
That would mean a middle-range European hop, eq. LHR, CDG or AMS perhaps, but may not be financially clever. No way we will see these birds in CPH, MUC, GOT or whatsoever, the main factor LHR is here is cargo.

Last edited by ff_flyer; Aug 18, 2016 at 9:14 am
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by intuition
Additionally, Finnair’s morning flights to and from London will fly with the state-of-the-art A350 aircraft during the summer 2017 season.
Great to have A350 daily to LHR! Just flew there with my son last Friday and enjoyed the A350 J ride immensely. Perfect way to start a holiday trip - and the problems with the seat will not bother you too much when the flight time is 2h30 mins...
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:43 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Hehe, yes, I would probably reconsider my AY A350 embargo if they were put on shorthaul service...

(And as a matter of form; those A350 praises was merely my copy/pasting from the press-release and does not reflect the views of the poster )
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
I agree, more frequency on AY837/838... Definitely!

Also, it would be nicer to have the A350 on the evening rotation AY833/834, but that would be asking too much.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by LoungeEnthusiast
Great to have A350 daily to LHR! Just flew there with my son last Friday and enjoyed the A350 J ride immensely. Perfect way to start a holiday trip - and the problems with the seat will not bother you too much when the flight time is 2h30 mins...
Definitively something I am also thinking about. Some affordable wow factor if you barely fly and then basically always in the back of the bus.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:50 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by cistavoda
No J no way.
Now AY site shows HEL-SFO -HEL for 3200€ in J but the link didn't work...

https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/slush2016-san-francisco
Old Aug 19, 2016, 4:36 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by Andaman
Now AY site shows HEL-SFO -HEL for 3200€ in J but the link didn't work...

https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/slush2016-san-francisco
3200€ is a bit steep. Though I'd pay to avoid Slush...
Old Aug 20, 2016, 2:18 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Perhaps semi-OT, but best thread suited I think:

Is there a strategy on the usage of E90?

My upcoming TXL flight was changed from A319 to E90 so I came to look for which flights are typically E90. Was surprised to see that in this moment, there are E90s in the air serving CDG, BRU, VIE, GVA, MAN. Except for MAN I'd say they are pretty major destinations.

Is it a pure numbers game (E90 carrying 100 pax vs A319 138 pax) and these destinations are not as popular as one would think?
Is it a cargo thing, as I assume E90 does not carry as much as Airbuses? But BRU is one of the few Cargo-hubs?!
Is it a time-of-the-day thing?
Or?

(Disclaimer - I have no issue with E90, I'm just curious)

Last edited by intuition; Aug 20, 2016 at 2:24 am
Old Aug 21, 2016, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by intuition
Perhaps semi-OT, but best thread suited I think:

Is there a strategy on the usage of E90?

My upcoming TXL flight was changed from A319 to E90 so I came to look for which flights are typically E90. Was surprised to see that in this moment, there are E90s in the air serving CDG, BRU, VIE, GVA, MAN. Except for MAN I'd say they are pretty major destinations.

Is it a pure numbers game (E90 carrying 100 pax vs A319 138 pax) and these destinations are not as popular as one would think?
Is it a cargo thing, as I assume E90 does not carry as much as Airbuses? But BRU is one of the few Cargo-hubs?!
Is it a time-of-the-day thing?
Or?

(Disclaimer - I have no issue with E90, I'm just curious)
I think the strategy is to use E190 either on thin routes such as GVA (which only gets Airbuses during peak winter holiday weeks) or on busy routes with many frequencies (such as BRU where Airbuses are used on most of the flights). Deploying only Airbuses to BRU would probably lead to a bad load factor on some of the four daily rotations. With E190s they are able to maintain more rotations, I would say.

Just my experience, from flying exactly these two routes extensively over the past ten years...
Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
CDG usually has an E90 overnight. Nothing new here (I use it every so often). AFAICT, the flight pair does not align well with either Finnair or AirFrance banks, so it is almost purely OD with low demand.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:05 pm

CDG usually has an E90 overnight. Nothing new here (I use it every so often). AFAICT, the flight pair does not align well with either Finnair or AirFrance banks, so it is almost purely OD with low demand.
Yes. Same goes for the BRU overnight.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:43 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum
I was once on E90 to CDG on the 9:25am flight. The reason for this was a technical problem with the scheduled A320 and at the gate I saw that some passengers were being rerouted or rescheduled on a later flight.

On this flight the FA serving J was really young and the service was not as polite and professional as usual. OTOH I was served the strongest G&T ever so not a bad flight
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
SFO is finally bookable. But not through the regular booking engine - you need to go via the Slush page here: https://www.finnair.com/int/gb/slush2016-san-francisco

I wonder if there is any award availability on those flights. Or if it's possible to upgrade to J.

They do earn points. 150 % for Eco comfort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.