Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Exchange award for tier points - max limit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:07 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

We have a few discussions on the subject of exchanging award points for tier points, but I can't find anything about the maximum limit.

The Finnair shop, rules are stated like
You can exchange points in batches of 5 000 tier points, but can acquire no more than half the tier points you need to maintain or advance your tier membership. As an example, you need 30 000 tier points to be a Finnair Plus Silver member - therefore, you can acquire a maximum of 15 000 of these tier points by points exchange.

There is a service charge of 10 € for each exchange. Please note that in web award points can be exchanged to tier points once during tier period.
From the text and the example, it seems pretty clear that a platinum member should be able to exchange up to 225k award for 75k tier. It also seems clear that a Gold member should be allowed the same (as per the "..to maintain or advance your tier " sentence).

Yet, logging in to the shop, the maximum I am able to buy is 45k tier. And because of the "once during the period" rule, splitting it into 2 purchases is not allowed either.

45k tier corresponds to half of the old Gold level, so to me this doesn't look like a random number but a deliberate limit. So...

1. Can anyone see options for more than 45k tier?

2. Has anyone exchanged via CS and had the manual fee voided due to option not available online?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by intuition
2. Has anyone exchanged via CS and had the manual fee voided due to option not available online?
Probably no one has experience yet as different fees for CS and self-serve exchanges were introduced just last month or so.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:20 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Aha, yes probably.
I only used the transfer many years ago when no online option existed.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
1. Can anyone see options for more than 45k tier?
My highest option is also only 135k/45k.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by lkrt
Probably no one has experience yet as different fees for CS and self-serve exchanges were introduced just last month or so.
Umm, the fee difference has been there for a while. I did a 150k -> 50k in February. Shop had them only up to 45k so I called CS. They asked me to buy the 45k set (10 €) and after it went through, they exchanged the rest manually, without charging me any extra.
frha01 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:14 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Great info, thanks!

(It does make you wonder why they are doing it like this - my guess is that webstore cannot have different rules/offers based on tiers, so they set a limit at half gold, which is/was what everyone was allowed to do. Then fix above 45k manually so they can make sure the rules are applied)
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by jmmi
Umm, the fee difference has been there for a while. I did a 150k -> 50k in February. Shop had them only up to 45k so I called CS. They asked me to buy the 45k set (10 €) and after it went through, they exchanged the rest manually, without charging me any extra.
Oh really? I hadn't noticed it, sorry about that. I automatically assumed it was part of the same change as when points transfer fees changed.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by jmmi
... They asked me to buy the 45k set (10 €) and after it went through, they exchanged the rest manually, without charging me any extra.
Last September they did my +45k exchange on the phone and did charge me the 20€.. I did actually save 15k award points though, as they the previous threshold came really close and they just bumped me up from there for free.

Last edited by Unsub; Jul 12, 2017 at 1:46 am
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Not all 5k increments are (or were) available online, for some reasons. You can always call CS to handle the missing ones manually.

I vaguely recall a mention of a rule that forbade skipping one tier, but I have never actually seen it. If it really exists, then you cannot trade more than 210k for 70k to upgrade to Platinum (previously 180k for 60k). It wouldn't matter for other tiers.

IIRC, I once traded for 45k missing tier points to Plat (correctly predicting that the vouchers would more than compensate for the spent award points).
frha01 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
I have in mind that somewhere in the rules you can read that you can only exchange a third of the needed qualyfication points, so if you only have 95000 points you won t be able to made it up to Platinum. Thats why I became gold on some point.

Ok now it reads that the max is 50% of the needed points, so you need at least 75000 points to stay Plat.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Ed Size
I have in mind that somewhere in the rules you can read that you can only exchange a third of the needed qualyfication points, so if you only have 95000 points you won t be able to made it up to Platinum. Thats why I became gold on some point.
Half of the points is the limit. So 225k->75k is the maximum.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:43 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Do these exchanged points become lifetime points as well?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by TTL
Do these exchanged points become lifetime points as well?
Yes they do.
OHTOW likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:02 pm

Good Evening, just been following here so far but now I do have a question.

With Finnair Plus, say that I would exchange a small amount to get close to silver, then achieve that with next SH.
Would silver then start at that point?

On my upcoming LH and SH I will benefit from the increased tier miles, and before end of tracking period be close to gold.

Then I should be able to close that gap through another exchange, just not done through the web?

Or would the silver not start until tracking period is over if it is done through an exchange?

Last edited by Soderbaum; Jul 16, 2017 at 12:06 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:49 am

Silver will start when you hit the threshold. Thus the points multiplier will be effective after that.

If you know your flying in advance, you exchange the required points already before hitting silver. Thus saving a few EUR on service fees. However, you can do multiple points exchanges, if you call the customer service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.