Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Connections waiting for tourists, not for Plats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP

For the third time within a few months I missed my connection to TMP (AY 646 arrived on June 16th 1,40 minutes late from ARN, with no explanation offered for the major delay).

What pisses me off is that the connecting flight could not wait 15 minutes for the several pax arriving from ARN. In fact, the AY connecting flights have NEVER awaited me - a Plat member travelling in J.

Several times I have witnessed how the same flights have awaited obvious occasional tourists arriving from some random flight. Recently, I witnessed how two persons got a private transportation to the plane, because they flight had arrived late.

AY - set your priorities and start valuing your premium customers!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I assume that the expected disruption is a bigger factor than customer status. Missing a flight to TMP is very annoying, but not quite as much as missing a flight to Asia.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

When that AY flight turns back to HEL, the only connections are Singapore and Yekaterinburg more than 90 min later.

Last edited by Justinus; Jun 17, 2017 at 6:27 am
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Have you considered that these people might have taken twice as long to get to the next gate compared to you? So even if you notice them getting there at a similar time, their flight may have been much less delayed than your flight from another day.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Lufthansa i a has a total different approach in treating its premium pax in exceptional situations. AY just does not care. All it wants is our money.

In my/our (we were several pax connecting to TMP) case, the connecting flight departed from the next gate.

The late TMP flight did not have any difficulty in waiting "for the last luggage" for 20 extra minutes at midnight. I guess those pieces did not belong to the premium pax...
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Justinus
Lufthansa i a has a total different approach in treating its premium pax in exceptional situations. AY just does not care. All it wants is our money.
+1

LH has always had a representative waiting for First Class and HON Circle pax regardless of late connections.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum

In my/our (we were several pax connecting to TMP) case, the connecting flight departed from the next gate.

The late TMP flight did not have any difficulty in waiting "for the last luggage" for 20 extra minutes at midnight. I guess those pieces did not belong to the premium pax...
TMP flight is often a problematic unless you take the last flight of the day which will always collect all the people from various connections and only then fly to TMP. Earlier flights are flying much more according to the schedule because they also need to be on time for their return flight to HEL.

The good point is that it is easy to shop around and switch airlines if someone is offering better service. From TMP, it is easy to get to ARN and then to FRA/MUC to catch LH or then just to take the train to HEL and continue with LH.

I assume you didn't take the Platinum taxi to TMP but waited for the later flight or took the bus?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
+1

LH has always had a representative waiting for First Class and HON Circle pax regardless of late connections.
For sure, but there is a difference between a Plat traveling on AY (J class) and a HON traveling on LH (F class).

For the price of one LH F class ticket you can become a Plat on AY - and of course AY don t even offer F class.

Don t try to compare apples to oranges, it´s just not working
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Ed Size
For sure, but there is a difference between a Plat traveling on AY (J class) and a HON traveling on LH (F class).

For the price of one LH F class ticket you can become a Plat on AY - and of course AY don t even offer F class.

Don t try to compare apples to oranges, it´s just not working
Of course AY has an F bucket - it's just not First

But yeah, one should rather compare AY Plat to LH SEN, not to LH HON.

It used to be nice during my SEN years, though, upgrading to LX First, etc, but when they cut earnings in the cheaper C tix (P, Z) it became impossible to maintain. That was one of my reason to come back to OW (BAEC) and when BAEC "improved" the GGL rules I knew it's back to AY+ and direct flights to Asia
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:22 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by miikka
TMP flight is often a problematic unless you take the last flight of the day which will always collect all the people from various connections and only then fly to TMP.
I take the last flight to TMP almost every week - most of the time the plane waits (AY834 seems to be slightly late pretty often). Not guaranteed tho, have taken a taxi home a couple of times.

The taxi varies - sometimes they give me a personal ride even if there are other PAX, sometimes need to wait for others picking up their luggage for a shared taxi.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I have to say that IF making a connection is important then I would allow more than minimum connection times when booking. Airlines get heavily penalised when late taking off and it may not be just the one flight that could be affected. Also do not forget your luggage may not make it even if you do.

here I am on the side of the airline although if they are able to do something for their most valued customers great but it should not be expected
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
How arrogant approach for the "tourist" vs. Plat.&J.

What makes you think those late "tourists" weren't Plats or OWEs?

This whole thread is ridiculous and the OP should get off of his Ivo... I mean Platinum Tower.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
When that AY flight turns back to HEL, the only connections are Singapore and Yekaterinburg more than 90 min later.
Or Hong-Kong (and previously Samara also). But that ws exactly my point. Missing the flight to Tampere sets you back a couple of hours by ground transportation. Worst case, one night in Helsinki, and morning flight to Tampere.

Missing the flight to Singapore would nominally set a passenger 48h back - and/or require a reroute.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:24 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by aapee
I take the last flight to TMP almost every week - most of the time the plane waits (AY834 seems to be slightly late pretty often). Not guaranteed tho, have taken a taxi home a couple of times.

The taxi varies - sometimes they give me a personal ride even if there are other PAX, sometimes need to wait for others picking up their luggage for a shared taxi.
I use 834 a lot and have missed KUO 23:40 4 times during last year. Once got flown to JOE and taking bus to KUO. Claimed EU 261 compensations seem to help gradually and the plane has waited lately. Even checked in luggage has made it. There are plans to delay the departure of KUO flight but not certain when that happens.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:29 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by aama
How arrogant approach for the "tourist" vs. Plat.&J.

What makes you think those late "tourists" weren't Plats or OWEs?

This whole thread is ridiculous and the OP should get off of his Ivo... I mean Platinum Tower.
I did not see anything arrogant in the OP. AY should do a favour to their own regulars in more regular basis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.