Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Wife and I got AY platinum status today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wife and I got AY platinum status today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Managed to get AY platinum this year for the first time and heading for the second platinum year. When I got the platinum first time I got vouchers in the middle of the tier year when I went from gold to platinum (valid end of that tier year), and again in the end of the year. Now when I`am plat does vouchers come only after end of the tier year or in the middle when I pass 150k points?

Thank you!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
You get the vouchers first time when you reach platinum and after that at the beginning of each tracking period, as long as you remain platinum.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:55 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Today is my first day of Platinum-life as well! Didn´t even think it´s possible when turned my back on AA and switched to AY+ last February. Gold was my target after all, but later I realized that transferring award points to tier points really makes the trick for me.

How I did it:
  1. HEL-DOH-SYD rt in QR J (first ever revenue J ticket)
  2. Point transfer to achieve AY Gold
  3. 6 * Domestic rt (AY Value)
  4. 3* Intra EU rt holiday (AY Light/Value)
  5. HEL-SIN rt (AY Value)
  6. Point transfer to achieve AY Platinum

Award points for point transfer have been collected mainly with AY DC and MC + some AY promotions and feedback comp.

Thank you all for your advice during this journey. Unfortunately next year won´t include a lot of flying, but at least I have a lot of UG vouchers to burn. If I am unable to use them for myself or family, can I also upgrade friends that are not family?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by HJP
can I also upgrade friends that are not family?
Not officially, but just use the online tool.

edit: Also, if upgrading friends over the phone and they have a problem, just say you're intimate friends. That worked for me and friend.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by cistavoda
Not officially, but just use the online tool.

edit: Also, if upgrading friends over the phone and they have a problem, just say you're intimate friends. That worked for me and friend.
The rules have actually changed, section 4.2 now says

An award can be given to another person. His/her name must be provided when the award is reserved.
whereas earlier "another person" was "a close relative or to a person belonging to the same household".
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by jmmi
The rules have actually changed, section 4.2 now says
whereas earlier "another person" was "a close relative or to a person belonging to the same household".
Oh, that's great news!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
This is what it looks like when you obtain platinum mainly on short haul segments, using corporate-in-policy flight pricing options. Not many points again this year.
Attached Images  
OH-LGG and SPBanker like this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Impressive.

Finnair would get you at least 1250 points per flight (except for rare sales), so I'm guessing there's a fair amount of BA or AB flights in there.

Last edited by Courmisch; Oct 11, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Courmisch
Impressive.

Finnair would get you at least 1250 points per flight (except for rare sales), so I'm guessing there's a fair amount of BA or AB flights in there.
Some BA yes. No AB. Normally I fly inter-Nordic and to London. HEL-STO is 625 points one way most of the time; HEL-LHR some 450-950 with BA.

thank goodness I get paid for doing this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Impressive.

How so? Northern Europe light fares earn 500+25% so 625 points.

I’m myself only slightly in a better position with 36 flights and 53125 points. 100% Finnair flights, but mostly Northern Europe Value.

(I cheat the company rules, as the SK-mindsetted bean-counters only look at the class of travel, not the booking class. I’m tempted to implement my own pro-only policy - I doubt anyone would notice!)
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by niksal
(I cheat the company rules, as the SK-mindsetted bean-counters only look at the class of travel, not the booking class. I’m tempted to implement my own pro-only policy - I doubt anyone would notice!)
Here it's class AND price. I already go against policy many times when choosing AY instead of SK as one can never be sure the morning flights out of HEL are flown. When conflicting travel policy there is always a note of what is the cheapest airfare offered was. So no escaping.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I'd like to know who do you work for, just to avoid applying there. Really eejit travel policy, as if cheapest would equal optimal.

Also I cannot understand the tight control over a few dimes for flights, when the same traveler can possibly make decisions with impact several magnitudes higher than the price of a flight ticket - without any control or oversight.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Oct 11, 2017 at 2:52 pm
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by niksal
I’m tempted to implement my own pro-only policy - I doubt anyone would notice!
If your co. is not so tight as Cerulean's, you'd get away. "Sorry, I needed the flexiility" should anyone ever ask. And if per policy you're OK (CoS) who's to ask in the first place?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by CeruleanBlue
Here it's class AND price. I already go against policy many times when choosing AY instead of SK as one can never be sure the morning flights out of HEL are flown. When conflicting travel policy there is always a note of what is the cheapest airfare offered was. So no escaping.
I've pretty much the same company policy. But most of my travel is time-critical and in last minute, so I reserve flights typically one day in advance so I get often higher travel classes. TA (they know me too well) was very surprised when I reserved tickets one week in advance (I was on vacation for one week so I had to know so early).
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:27 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by CeruleanBlue
This is what it looks like when you obtain platinum mainly on short haul segments, using corporate-in-policy flight pricing options. Not many points again this year.
Nevertheless, congratulations! That's a lot of ATR there...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.