Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

No more soft block for OWE AND soft block for cash coming very soon? (perhaps?)

No more soft block for OWE AND soft block for cash coming very soon? (perhaps?)

Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:51 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by kauppias
Just curious did you ask if it exists for all FF or a specific group ie AY Platinum.
From experience this is highly customisable and there are algorithms for a number of groups.

If you have different family members (with different status) travelling on the same flight you can see it. None of them sees the same seat map.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by intuition
From experience this is highly customisable and there are algorithms for a number of groups.

If you have different family members (with different status) travelling on the same flight you can see it. None of them sees the same seat map.
I was referring to the question posed to customer service as this information is contrary to what I was told ie OWE not having seat block but Ay plat having would be plausible...

Personally seat block is NOT something I would pay for, but on the same hand it is something I appreciate. I am the worst candidate for ancillerary income as I dont pay for extras I just book elswhere is tt is available when toomany cuts are made. I just hope they dont cut too deep ��
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:16 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Just curious did you ask if it exists for all FF or a specific group ie AY Platinum.
I specifically asked if the seat block exist for platinum members but they used word tasoasiakas which could be translated as elite member, right?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
I specifically asked if the seat block exist for platinum members but they used word tasoasiakas which could be translated as elite member, right?
Status member might be more precise as tasoasiakas means everyone from silver to plat.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:27 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Yes, that's better wording. Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
As far as starting this thread I was referring more to the generic OWEs as losing this unofficial benefit

AY plats I assumed to be safe same as with the internet, which again is good for AY plats but not so much for the rest of us

Time will show. but a worrying trend none the less.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:25 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest, BT Exec
So I was checking in for my AY flight this morning and asked politely for soft block of the seat next to me No go but the lady mentioned also that soon I can buy this service as its being introduced as a pay add on!

Other then overcrowded lounge and one drink on board there soon wont be much need to be OWE on AY! Just my soft rant

Seems like AY is on a roll with less then great changes, making Oneworld more of a TWO world program alliance and less attractive for me and perhaps others EX HEL...

Again if this too has been discussed here allready please feel free to chastide me and merge but I did not find this here atleast on my phone
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:25 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest, BT Exec
A third world problem. Avoid all the hassle: https://thepointsguy.com/wp-content/...at-and-Bed.jpg.

A glitch in system? Quote and answer to different posts? Helps me to become a legend =)
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
Seat block is something you can pay for today.

If you for some reason need a second seat it is possible to reserve. This is commonly used for passengers who needs a second seat for a medical reason. Obese passengers sometimes reserve as well.

Why not if you just want it to be empty....
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTL
A third world problem. Avoid all the hassle: https://thepointsguy.com/wp-content/...at-and-Bed.jpg.

A glitch in system? Quote and answer to different posts? Helps me to become a legend =)
I really wish that LH setup was still available

But now EY First apartment will have to do they dont offer a seat block there either 😆😂😂😂
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by TTL

That was my dream of burning EB points, but I never had the chance

On seatblock, me also have always in app check-in neighbour seat "occupied", but in practice most of times on NoRRA ATR there is a buddy next to me so they don't really care even if there are empty seats elsewhere. On Finnair flights it works amazingly well IME.

Best seatblock I have had a couple of years ago when I flew BA Y longhaul and I had a seat like 58. Went back to the aft galley chatting with Y purser if there is any rows empty during boarding. He checked his pad, found one row, told me to install myself there in the middle and disperse my bags around seats and tell if anyone comes by that those seats are blocked. Yeah one guy was approaching me to share some space and I was hesitant not to be rude, but the same purser chap happened to pass by and just told the pax that those seats are blocked for Mr FFlash ^
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:17 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
Can we now please stop talking about a seat block?
It seems that it is actually you who always says it doesn't exist when someone else says it does..

Change your seat at checkin to a row where there are empty seats and see yourself how it works. It will not work with pre-selected (prior to checkin is open) seats, that is my experience.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:41 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Hehe, yes I am a nag. 100 times of empty seat does not prove a block exists, while 1 time with a ccupied seat proves it doesn't...
Anyway, I'm not in Y enough for it to matter to me personally
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I have been following this trend for a few months now. Previously (6+ months ago) there existed a seat block for OWS (non-AY+). Later I started using my OWE (non-AY+) card and noticed the seat block had disappeared.

I always check using ExpertFlyer which differentiates blocked versus occupied. On EF you can still see many seat blocks - just not around my OWE seat

Much like the recent complimentary Wi-Fi change, I believe Finnair intends to encourage Finnair Plus Platinum members, and discourage other Emeralds to fly with them.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch
CDG-HEL last week. Two free seats behind in the curtain: my neighbor seat and the one behind.

On a statistical basis, I am pretty damn sure that the seat block exists.
Same for me. Considering my last 20+ intra-european flights (and 80%+ free next seat) there are two possibilities:
1) seat block exists and but is sometimes overridden by paying customers/system glitch
2) I'm the one of most luckiest men known to mankind and should be happy for that.

Since I've yet to win lotto or eurojackpot, I tend to believe option 1.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.