Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

What to do with orphan 25000 AY plus points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: JGC premier

My husband and I got offered 25,000 AY points total as compensation for dirty seat + non working IFE on our recent Long haul flight with AY. Any suggestion on what to do with it? Our main mileage program is JAL JMB, where we are both elites, and as I travel to Europe mostly on OW RTW fare, i really don't see much use on intra europe short haul flights on OW. AY's burn rate is shockingly bad (from my perspective anyway) that I can't really see justifying myself to transfer our SPG point. Any suggestion would be appreciated!
Old Feb 14, 2017, 6:03 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
You clearly have AY Plus account as they were able to give you the points so maybe you can get some more before they expire and use them for an upgrade?

If you fly reasonable booking classes for long haul you'll get another 25k pretty soon and then can use them for oneway long haul upgrade...they also have a reasonably good points for sale -offer with bonus until end of Feb, maybe something to look into to get up to 50k total for the upgrade.

Just my 2 cents..
Old Feb 14, 2017, 6:25 am
Original Poster

I actually don't have an account.. yet. This is still just an offer they made when I sent them a feedback form, they told me to create an account should I choose to take it.

I can always accumulate or transfer more points if I want to but I just don't see any point as AY redemption chart looks pretty horrible at least compared to JL (eg. 50k for a one way long haul upgrade? For that price i could get a one way J class ticket NRT-US on JL!), plus I earn more bonus mileage due to my elite status when accumulating with JL anyway. Long haul upgrade is no use for me as I travel mostly J class..

I know i'm not offering much leeway, but any other suggestion highly appreciated!
Old Feb 14, 2017, 6:47 am

Then just ditch the points/offer and move on..
Old Feb 14, 2017, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Seems to be such a waste to ditch free mileage.. hence my question. Any way i can redeem 25,000 for hotel stay, or short haul flights in non OW European carriers or OW Asian carriers? Had a quick look, but nothing seems achievable for around 25,000 miles
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by bakaneko85
Seems to be such a waste to ditch free mileage.. hence my question. Any way i can redeem 25,000 for hotel stay, or short haul flights in non OW European carriers or OW Asian carriers? Had a quick look, but nothing seems achievable for around 25,000 miles
AY points are based on kilometers, not miles, so you accrue them more fast but also need to spend more to get anything reasonable, and, like you say, 25k is next to nothing..

Maybe you can ask them to offer you a duty free gift card instead..
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:09 am

Ah, what about domestic trip in Finland...Helsinki - Lapland return in the winter..or intra Nordic/Baltic return from Helsinki...? 20k would be enough for either..
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE), NH Super Flyers & Platinum (SAG), DL Gold Medallion (STE+)
From my experience AY+ points are useful in combination with JL awards. Sometimes it is hard to find seats on intra-EU flights with JL miles though I have JGC (normal, not premier).
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks, wish i had these points just a few weeks ago when we took HEL-IVL flight. No plan to travel within Finland for foreseeable future, although a redemption on Iceland air (a non OW carrier that i'd have no access to normally on OW tickets) sounds interesting. Oh well, worse come to worst i'll just donate these points to charity if I find no use closer to the 3 years expiration date..
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:48 am

If you are into Finnish design, the Moomin, or something else, maybe buy something at finnairshop.com and pay using points? Not the best monetary value, but if awards and upgrades are out of the question, this might be on option.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
As a last resort there is always the option of transferring them to Accorhotels (at a bad, 7:1 rate).

Or transfer them to me, I'll pay the 20€ transfer fee
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I thought Finnair offered purchase voucher as an alternative to bonus points, for compensation. Does it depend??
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
The points are pretty OK for upgrades on AY or shorthaul redemptions within Nordics/Baltics.

I upgraded my ARN-HEL sector last week for 7000 points to avoid paying for an extra bag, plus I got a bottle of champagne that is pretty ok. This was say €50-60 of money I'd have spent otherwise.

But yes, unless you fly in the Nordics or on AY metal in Y it is quite difficult to do much. Redemption rates are either high or you don't have enough points to do anything useful with them.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Yes, they did offer me a gift voucher as well for in flight purchases, but obviously this means i have to fly with them to redeem.. and no, an upgrade is not useful for me as I usually travel on J class fare anyway..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.