Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Select seat as OWE, crediting to non-status FF, charged for seat selection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Question for you guys:

I recently flew from OSL-HEL. I picked a seat using my (non-ay) OWE status, and then reverted to (basic) AY+ because W earns nothing/next to nothing there. At OSL, they weren't able to print my BP (and I couldn't get mobile BP) without charging me for seat selection, even if they used my non-AY FF# instead of AY+. So I had to pay the 15 euros or whatever it was.

I've done this before without any problems, so I don't think it's "illegal" (at least I've never seen any warnings about it). But what do you think my chances of getting a refund from AY for the seat selection are? Is it even recommended to mention it to them? In the end, I flew the flight as a AY+, which in retrospect might make getting a refund more difficult.

Last edited by mpkz; Feb 13, 2017 at 6:43 am
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
W earns next to nothing on AY+ as well (25%).
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Last month I was able to put both FF numbers ( non AY number for status benefits and AY number for point accural ) to my booking through online chat. BP showed the status (non-AY) and points went without any problem to AY account. You should have been able to select seat without paying.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:15 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Since a couple of years on ALL AB flights I have been obliged to pay for seat selection as OWE.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by lento
Last month I was able to put both FF numbers ( non AY number for status benefits and AY number for point accural ) to my booking through online chat. BP showed the status (non-AY) and points went without any problem to AY account. You should have been able to select seat without paying.
Interesting! Asked for this many times and they have never been able to make it this way. Same issue with check-in staff. Most of them has no idea what does this request mean. And if they know, they are still unable to process it. I wish I met a savvy agent!

To the OP's question - IMO, you should have not been charged and they should have been able to get over the payment request in the system. You apparently paid for the lack of agent's skills. This happened to me once when switching in between OWE and no-free-seat-selection-status - after the agent asked for the payment, I politely reminded the OWE card and the whole thing was solved by few clicks.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by on22cz
Interesting! Asked for this many times and they have never been able to make it this way. Same issue with check-in staff. Most of them has no idea what does this request mean. And if they know, they are still unable to process it. I wish I met a savvy agent!
I had same problem with check-in staffs. "Only one number is possible" , or "I do not see where I can put another number" was their answer. However, this chat agent said "I know what you mean" and put both numbers there. I should have noted his name for future chats, as it seems very few people know how to do it.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by lento
However, this chat agent said "I know what you mean" and put both numbers there. I should have noted his name for future chats, as it seems very few people know how to do it.
If you were at least sure it was a male agent, it could actually be very helpful as female agents dominate among the chat support staff and sadly they have no clue what to do with the numbers.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:11 am

If you were at least sure it was a male agent, it could actually be very helpful as female agents dominate among the chat support staff and sadly they have no clue what to do with the numbers.
I am sure it was a male agent.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:19 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
I don't think it's a question of their sex, rather the training they've been given.

I wonder if it'd help explaining them that you want a different number in FQTS and FQTV.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by lkrt

I wonder if it'd help explaining them that you want a different number in FQTS and FQTV.
I have tried that with check-in agents, some of them did not know what I was talking about, one said " I can only see FQTV". I agree that they lack proper training.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:05 am

I don't think it's a question of their sex, rather the training they've been given.

I didn't mean it would be a question of their sex in general. Just pointing out that if you get to chat with a male agent, based on lento's positive experience, you are probably more likely to catch the right one (the one who lento talked to), because there is apparently very little share of male agents. Whereas, considering how many female agents I have asked so far, the other option gives you very little chances to encounter a savvy one (in my experience, none has had an idea what I am talking about so far). But I absolutely agree it is about how well trained they are (not).

FQTV/FQTS doesn't help - for most of them it is the same, i.e. "Just one number, sir". And explaining it on the basis of miles vs. status benefits doesn't help either.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Is there anyone on the board who's good with Amadeus? Is there a cryptic command in place for adding the frequent flyer numbers to the reservation?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:53 am

Is there anyone on the board who's good with Amadeus? Is there a cryptic command in place for adding the frequent flyer numbers to the reservation?
I do not know if the following would work:
SR FQTV AY-AY123456789
SR FQTS AY-AY123456789

AY - airline code

I will ask next time to the check in agent to put those codes manually
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

To the OP's question - IMO, you should have not been charged and they should have been able to get over the payment request in the system. You apparently paid for the lack of agent's skills. This happened to me once when switching in between OWE and no-free-seat-selection-status - after the agent asked for the payment, I politely reminded the OWE card and the whole thing was solved by few clicks.
Yeah the guy was pretty clueless, it wasn't AY staff but instead the people they used at OSL. I'll ask for a refund for the seat selection.

Thanks for the help everybody.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / OWE
Here's some examples I found from Amadeus manual:

Create a manual SSR to accrue mileage for a frequent flyer

Command:
SR FQTV AY-AY FREEFLOW TEXT/P1

Create an SSR to be recognized as a frequent traveler on one airline, while accruing miles on another

Command:
SR FQTS BA-BA FREEFLOW TEXT/P3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.