Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Strange question at Finnair Check-in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

So I'm flying Finnair for the first time in a long time today. At the check-in desk in JFK T8, the Finnair agent asked me if I've been to Europe in the last 6 months. I said, yes about half a dozen times including a trip about 2 weeks ago. She proceeded to thumb through my passport pages for a good 2 minutes before scanning it on her passport readermachine. Is this normal? I mean I don't remember anytime I've been asked by a check-in agent a question of this nature.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
There are limits how many days you can spend in Schengen area without a visa. You are not allowed in, if any 6 month period contains 3 months accumulated stays in Schengen, So the check-in agent was doing his/her due diligence to avoid denied entry in Helsinki and possible penalty for Finnair.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by temppa
There are limits how many days you can spend in Schengen area without a visa. You are not allowed in, if any 6 month period contains 3 months accumulated stays in Schengen, So the check-in agent was doing his/her due diligence to avoid denied entry in Helsinki and possible penalty for Finnair.
Sure but I don't think I have ever had agents of any other airline checking the stamps in my passport. It seems a bit excessive for Finnair to do so especially for a frequent traveler. Sometimes I could have 30+ EU stamps in my passport within a 6 months period. The AY agent could spent a good 20+ minutes finding all the relevant stamps and then doing the # of days arithmetic. PS I do keep track of my number of days in the EU within a 6 months period automatically using a spreadsheet.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
I don't think it is unreasonable for AY to do that. As temppa noted, they face a fine if they let you fly if you've exceeded your Schengen days. They looked at the stamps, everything was fine, and you were allowed to fly. No harm done.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
I saw a note at the gate counter at JFK stating that "Finnish officials have become strict in issuing fines to airlines who bring in passengers who have exceeded their quota of presense of no more than three months in a six month period" or something like that. So AY is just trying to avoid to have to pay a penalty in case you had not followed the rules.

Completely understandable, if the authorities are really imposing fines like this.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deissi
I don't think it is unreasonable for AY to do that. As temppa noted, they face a fine if they let you fly if you've exceeded your Schengen days. They looked at the stamps, everything was fine, and you were allowed to fly. No harm done.
Well I wasn't arguing about the reasonableness. More about the practical side of finding all the stamps within 6 months and then computing the # of days. This time I think I was lucky since I had done ONLY 4 TATL round trips in the preceding 6 months. I hope I'm not flying Finnair the next time I do the 20 TATL round trips in 6 months thing.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I do understand Finnair's point here, but I also understand Muishkin's frustration. Airlines have a tendency of asking stupid questions, usually for "security" reasons. When flying AA from Europe, they want to know how old your mobile phone is and where your bag stood after you packed it etc etc, it's like a list of ten questions. But when you fly in from South America, they're suddenly not at all interested anymore. I guess European suitcases must be especially dangerous
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:02 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by ffay005
I do understand Finnair's point here, but I also understand Muishkin's frustration. Airlines have a tendency of asking stupid questions
indeed, like AY policy to request to see your visa for India despite you doing a airside transit and all tools (like timatic and real-life-experience) says "No visa needed"....

I have a similar situation when entering Japan, as there is a maximum 180 day in total per 12 months and they technically would need to calculate dates from multiple landing permits and exit stamps. But never any questions on that route.

I guess what I wanted to say was that if EU is "striking down" on airlines for not checking a complicated stay rule, they should at least offer a way to do it more easy. Like validating the passport against a database of registered stays. Computers are much better at checking dates than people are.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by intuition

I guess what I wanted to say was that if EU is "striking down" on airlines for not checking a complicated stay rule, they should at least offer a way to do it more easy. Like validating the passport against a database of registered stays. Computers are much better at checking dates than people are.
On that note, but looking at the question from the opposite angle:

One can stay in the US for 90 days when entering under Visa Waiver / ESTA. When arriving to the States, there is a rather strict check (or more and more often Automated Passport Control (APC)), but no one checks your travel documents when leaving the country (the TSA agent doesn't count in this, as (s)he only checks if you have a valid travel document and the BP is on your name).

Does the CBP get your info from the airlines when leaving the country, or in reality they just don't really care about enforcing the 90 days rule? Not that I'd plan to overstay, this is just purely out of interest.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Does the CBP get your info from the airlines when leaving the country, or in reality they just don't really care about enforcing the 90 days rule? Not that I'd plan to overstay, this is just purely out of interest.
They do, and they do follow up.

That's what the small green slip was for that they stapled in your passport. The airline took it at check-in or upon boarding and sent it to CBS to indicate you left the country. Now it's all computerized but it's still the airline who is in charge of submitting the info.

Of course, this doesn't always work. So there are stories about people who are put in a holding cell upon their arrival in the US and then sent back home on the next plane, all because they "overstayed" even if they didn't. Happened to a Finnish girl some years ago and it was all over the yellow press here. According to the story, they didn't even tell her what was wrong so she couldn't try to prove that she didn't overstay on her previous trip.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:02 pm

Thanks for the explanation ffay005!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ffay005
Now it's all computerized but it's still the airline who is in charge of submitting the info.
In fact, you can see your travel history at:
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

A very handy tool!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:19 am

Just a sign o' the times
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by GaryK84
In fact, you can see your travel history at:
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

A very handy tool!
Wow, thanks for the tip!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Interesting, it says for one visit that I never left the United States. Had no problem entering the next time, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.