Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Upcoming cancellations due to pilot shortage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:31 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

Finnair just published this:
Finnair prepares for possible flight cancellations due to working restrictions set by Finnish Pilots’ Association

In short, due to shortage of pilots during training for A350 and the fact that labour agreement with pilots ended 2016-11-15 there is now restrictions in place for Finnair to replace pilots called in sick. Yesterday was first longhaul flight cancelled du to this situation, and is likely to continue until new collective agreement is signed.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
And not EC261/2004 eligible if your flight(s) get cancelled/delayed as this may be categorized as "extraordinary circumstances and beyond the control of airline" I presume?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Certainly. For AY, everything is always exceptional.

(In truth, of course, EU compensation is only payable if they inform you less than 14 days in advance.)
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AX
Starting from 29 November there will be a wetlease Boeing 737 from Danish Jettime to cover some of the shortages. Probably not a huge difference as this will be used in domestic/Europe routes. No inflight shopping though on these flights
Old Dec 4, 2016, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Seems AY has been expanding routes so rapidly it can't staff airplanes or get enough gates to accommodate all its departures and arrivals.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Any idea what routes might be impacted? I already rerouted JFK-LHR (AA), LHR-HEL (AY) to avoid HiFly on 12/27. I am supposed to continue HEL-BKK on 12/29, should the intra-euro and that long haul be ok? I am less worried about the LHR-HEL, since I imagine I could be rebooked on BA, but the long haul?
Old Dec 5, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: BA GfL
I wouldn't worry since there are two HEL-BKK flights plus there are alternative flights to Asia, such as HEL-SIN, HEL-PVG, etc., where you can connect to BKK. Worst case is they can always reallocate crew from later flights, such as HEL-HKG, which has a reputation for being delayed till the following morning.

Now, if AY cancels your HEL-BKK flight before you leave JFK, then I'd asked to be rebooked on CX, JL or QR.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by Peregrine415
...Worst case is they can always reallocate crew from later flights, such as HEL-HKG, which has a reputation for being delayed till the following morning.
Actually no.
The pilots' union has declared that they will not work overtime nor change their personal rotations in case of irregularities.
If there is shortage of pilots on any flight and no Standby cockpit crew available the only alternative is to cancel the flight or use JetTime wetleased plane. The ban announced by union inhibits AY to reallocate any cockpit crew from another flight or shuffle their rotations.

Now, if AY cancels your HEL-BKK flight before you leave JFK, then I'd asked to be rebooked on CX, JL or QR.
Cancellations will be announced on daily basis, not days ahead and can affect practically any flight operated by AY cockpit crew, ie. HiFly and Airberlin flights are excluded.

Do not worry about a cancellation, two daily departures to BKK, you are travelling in J and AY will fly you to BKK in case of any irregularity. As mentioned they have fairly good daily connections via other major Asian hubs (SIN/HKG/ etc..).
Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I wouldn't worry since there are two HEL-BKK flights plus there are alternative flights to Asia, such as HEL-SIN, HEL-PVG, etc., where you can connect to BKK. Worst case is they can always reallocate crew from later flights, such as HEL-HKG, which has a reputation for being delayed till the following morning.

Thanks, I will monitor it as we get closer.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 5:12 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold
AY73 from HEL to NRT was cancelled two times this week due to sick pilots. My girlfriend was rebooked to BA the day after, which sucked since I upgraded her to a F class ticket, and according to Finnair it was impossible to let her fly J on AY73 the day after even if there were C class tickets available. Not very happy about this.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
At least today 1.1.2017 there is a long list of cancelled flights:
AY073 HEL-NRT - FLT WILL BE CNLD DUE TO LACK OF PILOTS
AY057 HEL-PVG - FLIGHT CNLD DUE TO LACK OF PILOTS
AY069 HEL-HKG - FLT CNLD DUE TO LACK OF PILOTS
AY081 HEL-SIN - FLT CNLD DUE TO LACK OF PILOTS

The hotels near HEL must be getting full...

Edit: EF confirmed the reason in the remarks for the cancelled flights.

Last edited by Aviating; Jan 1, 2017 at 7:29 am
Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: AY LUMO
It looks like AY can't handle this.
One of the busiest seasons in travel industry and AY cancelled today 4 return long hauls. Yesterday Osaka was cancelled.

Not looking bright now for AY.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:53 am

It's again union and union's BS:

1 January 2017

Finnair is preparing for possible flight cancellations due to working restrictions set by the Finnish Pilots’ Association. Finnair has been forced to cancel several flights, and may need to cancel some more flights within next days for example if a pilot becomes ill and there aren’t enough standby and management pilots to fill the position.
https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/flightinfo

In Finnish version it's told that today 01JAN something happened:

Vuodenvaihteessa liitto lisäsi työntekorajoitteita jonkin verran.
https://www.finnair.com/fi/fi/flightinfo
Old Jan 1, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Any clue how they pick the victim flights? It looks like it simply down to which flights the missing pilots were supposed to fly, or does Finnair reshuffle available pilots to operate the least redundant flights?

(SIN, HKG, NRT and PVG look like important and heavily loaded destinations, but they should alos be relatively easy to reroute to/from...)
Old Jan 1, 2017, 10:01 am

NRT could be A340-pilot issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.