Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Upcoming cancellations due to pilot shortage

Upcoming cancellations due to pilot shortage

Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Probably because AY51 cancelled at 8am:
Code:
DOAY51/03JAN                                                                    
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO *            AY  51   -1 TU 03JAN17                   
CITY INFO                                       HOUR (LOCAL)                    
HEL  ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE                0120                            
     DELAY AIRCRAFT DEFECTS                                                     
     DELAY DE-ICING OF AIRCRAFT                                                 
     FLIGHT CANCELLED                           0812                            
     ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL                  1453     PEK                    

*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO*              AY  51   -1 TU 03JAN17                    
APT ARR   DY DEP   DY CLASS/MEAL          EQP  GRND  EFT   TTL                  
HEL          1815  TU JCDIYBHKMPT/HH      333         7:35                      
                      LVSNQOZRGWX/HH                                            
                      E/HH                                                      
PEK 0750  WE                                                7:35
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Flying MIA-HEL on 12JAN, I'm starting to feel really happy about the MIA route being outsourced to IB...
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:00 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Friend reported from HEL that AY89 is cancelled, loading truck accident or something like that acc. to gate announcement.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by HJP
Friend reported from HEL that AY89 is cancelled, loading truck accident or something like that acc. to gate announcement.
Not cancelled. Changing the aircraft now.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:33 am

And ay89 was overbooked, still looking for volunteers at gate boarding.

Meanwhile ay73 has medical situation and is over hour late...
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:38 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
Here we go again...
05JAN AY073 HEL-NRT: FLIGHT CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF PILOTS
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Aviating
Here we go again...
05JAN AY073 HEL-NRT: FLIGHT CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF PILOTS
That's ridiculously many cancellations on one route. They just want to be sure people flying to Tokyo these days don't come back to Finnair?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:09 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Oh, they made that decision years ago when they entered the Japan JB ...
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
Seems to be a pattern here. AY073 HEL-NRT has been canceled every second day this year. JAN01, JAN03 and JAN05.

Is NRT the new HKG?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AY has a plan when to cancel which flight when certain irregs occur. NRT is probably one of the destinations where a cancellation does the least damage, since partner JL departs almost at the same time. There seems to be some co-ordination with JL, since they subbed a 789 into the route today instead of the scheduled 788.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by oliver2002
AY has a plan when to cancel which flight when certain irregs occur. NRT is probably one of the destinations where a cancellation does the least damage, since partner JL departs almost at the same time. There seems to be some co-ordination with JL, since they subbed a 789 into the route today instead of the scheduled 788.
Might also be that as NRT is at the moment the only A340 destination and the only remaining A340 will obviously be retired later this year, they are training all remaining/available A340 pilots into A350. Probably they are in a hurry getting enough pilots as they are getting 4 more new planes this year. Perhaps they had a plan that they could manage flying all the scheduled flights if no problems appear, but the plan (if it existed) was ruined with the flu wave and industrial action of the pilots, and now we see the consequences of too tight resource planning.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That's ridiculously many cancellations on one route. They just want to be sure people flying to Tokyo these days don't come back to Finnair?
And when they do, flight is delayed so that everyone misses their connections. This is just plain ridiculous, next time I will take CX or JL.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: JGC premier
Originally Posted by reflektia
And when they do, flight is delayed so that everyone misses their connections. This is just plain ridiculous, next time I will take CX or JL.
never been so thankful that I have JL as my home carrier. Highest on time rate in the world (in my last flight they apologized for starting the boarding time 3 minutes late! How ridiculous is that, in a good way?), generally good hard and soft product. Between JL (or CX) and BA (bad service, seats allover) and AY (unreliable), my choice on which carrier to take on transcontinental flight to Europe is clear. I just hope there's some empty seats available on JL flight in case my AY NRT-HEL flight in less than 2 weeks gets cancelled..
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:33 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
I used to think that airline pilots were never dumb enough to saw the branch they are sitting on. Finnair (and NoRRA) pilots prove I have been wrong. Loosing the face in Asia with unreliable service will quite soon be costly.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:19 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I belive japan joint business stipulates revenue sharing based on capacity provided. So AY might lose some money cancelling flights but in long term it has zero effect. As long as they provide 40% (or whatever) of the JB capacity they are taking home 40% of the revenue. AY ticket sales matters very little in this case.
You need to realise Japan is not a poster destination for AY anymore. It is a cash cow giving milk regardless of how little you feed it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.