Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Upcoming cancellations due to pilot shortage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming cancellations due to pilot shortage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I wonder if AY considers this "exceptional circumstances".
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Originally Posted by ffay005
I wonder if AY considers this "exceptional circumstances".
At least on their first reply when asking for EC261-compensation I presume...
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I think this is very very clear circumstance which could have been easily avoided by hiring more pilots or organizing them in another way.

AY of course will fight EC261 cases but if I am hit, I will fight back as a bull
Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:53 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
It's again union and union's BS
Well. Isn't the situation such that collective agreements are not yet renweed, ie both union and employer is free to move forward with suggestions and actions in order to sign a new agreement?

When unions says "overtime blockade" it is actually a very subtle action. No company should rely on overtime in exess to make the daily business run. The fact that a overtime blockade has such a vast effect is all on Finnair. PPP (piss poor planning) . This expansion has been on the table for a decade. Sure, pilots action isn't helping but it is not the cause.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: AY Platinum
I like the fact that at least the Helsingin Sanomat newspaper refers to this (labour-union-related) situation as an "ay-kiista" - "ay dispute".
Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by intuition
When unions says "overtime blockade" it is actually a very subtle action. No company should rely on overtime in exess to make the daily business run.
Not daily, but I think it's reasonable to rely on overtime availability during particularly bad flu seasons. Otherwise your staffing levels will be excessive. Not that I know anything about what's going on at Finnair, but a lot of people have been sick at my workplace too lately.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Calling in sick is a strike tool by crews. Its an indicator of a real strike coming up in the horizon ...
Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:34 am

Oh yes, but like I said, plenty of people are legitimately sick right now. I myself, if I were a pilot, would not have been in any shape to fly for the past two weeks.

Incidentally, Christmas was actually the most convenient time for me to get sick if I had to. Only 12 more days to go until our LHR trip!
Old Jan 2, 2017, 4:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Airlines usually budget for the 30% flu season though.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 4:42 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by heatsink
Not daily, but I think it's reasonable to rely on overtime availability during particularly bad flu seasons. Otherwise your staffing levels will be excessive. Not that I know anything about what's going on at Finnair, but a lot of people have been sick at my workplace too lately.
Yes I agree. And now might be a time with a higher number of sick leaves. So that might very well be the tip of the iceberg, that makes the problem very visible for us the customers.

But they are aiming to double the traffic to asia by 2020, and have had that idea since 2006. They secured the planes for it but not the human resources.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Calling in sick is a strike tool by crews. Its an indicator of a real strike coming up in the horizon ...
I was in SFO when the whole city transit workforce called in sick for 3 days ...
Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold
Any news if this will be resolved soon? I got my flight on the 4th, would be kind of nice to know if my flight is cancelled before so I can reschedule my work meetings.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by MagmaH
Any news if this will be resolved soon? I got my flight on the 4th, would be kind of nice to know if my flight is cancelled before so I can reschedule my work meetings.
Will your flight be NRT-HEL? If yes, then you will know more than 10 hours before departure if you check the Helsinki Airport website for departures (HEL-NRT). If the plane doesn't leave HEL, then the return will be cancelled as well. I routinely do this on long hauls because that way I get the information a lot sooner than via AY's SMS or emails.

The flight number ex-HEL will be one digit less than ex-outstation. Eg. HEL-JFK is AY005 so JFK-HEL is AY006.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:53 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MagmaH
Any news if this will be resolved soon? ...
No news on any improvements. Finnair has publicly said
We are very sorry for the inconvenience and worry the situation cause to our customers.
which is kind of cute in its candid finglishness.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:19 pm

HEL-NRT today canceled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.