HiFly is back!

Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Guillou
I am scheduled to take AY6 from JFK for Christmas. Not excited about Hi Fly but would prefer to fly directly as I am headed to Northern Sweden for Christmas with SK from HEL on a separate booking on the same evening (ca 10 hours in between flights so should have ample time in case of any delays) especially as you never know how messed up LHR could be right before Christmas if there is any snow etc. However, I am becoming more and more inclined to try and get myself a rerouting.

10 hours isn't enough time if they cancel again,
4 cancellations in a row combined with the use of private contractors on European routes now also put me over.

I called AA and got rebooked on British Airways, literally 5 minute call no hassle change.

Upside 2 flights on a 747.
Not a fan of heathrow, but Hi-fly seems awful...plus if it's really ancient Iberia metal....
Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Originally Posted by Keith2004
http://www.fsnordic.net/discussion/i...113776.40.html

According to this link,
(Finnish only) but can Google translate

The Hi Fly 340 is gonna get replaced by an OLD (over head tv, angle flat biz, no power) Iberia 340

If this is the case I'm definately changing my flight.
Tried google translate. Not a huge success...

Re: Finnair will lease A340 Hi Flylta New York route for two months
Reply # 20: 10.26.16, 5:04
Quote from: Marko Pajunen is 25/10/16, 21:38
Well do not Wink His tired flap. Or if you meant to tell you that your own b-stair is magee, lennollakin stalking Tongue

Last edited by cmdsea; Nov 29, 2016 at 5:02 pm
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by cmdsea
Tried google translate. Not a huge success...

Reply # 20: 10.26.16, 5:04
Quote from: Marko Pajunen is 25/10/16, 21:38
Well do not Wink His tired flap. Or if you meant to tell you that your own b-stair is magee, lennollakin stalking Tongue
LOL

I used the app and got this

Re: Finnair will lease A340 Hi Flylta New York:

Registered Date: 16.04.07

Reply # 41: 27.11.16, 18:39
I heard that the Hi flyyn machine is the engine disintegrated, flights canceled, replaced by'd apparently becoming the Iberian old 340
Timo Helenius

Date Registered: 10/03/13
There are now two three-engine four-engine, the third is no longer calculated, thus a total of six engines. Six again is a tree around which consists of Christmas. Christmas tree lit candles ... etc ...

Nothing but incompatible with the other. Sad
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
your own b-stair is magee, lennollakin stalking Tongue[/I][/COLOR]
Ok. I'm rebooking back to HiFly to see this.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 5:57 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold
AY005 HiFly is airborne, so no massive "engine failure"

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ay5
Old Nov 30, 2016, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Karjaluokka
AY005 HiFly is airborne, so no massive "engine failure"

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ay5
Who knows what went wrong. Flights were cancelled for 3 days straight and it takes 6 hours to change an engine. Watch this
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:00 am

Who knows what went wrong. Flights were cancelled for 3 days straight and it takes 6 hours to change an engine. Watch this Boeing 777 Engine Change - YouTube

4 days straight actually, but cool video
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Who knows what went wrong. Flights were cancelled for 3 days straight and it takes 6 hours to change an engine
Yes, but it takes a day or two to get it shipped to HEL, wherever it is stored.
And almost 100% sure they do not have a spare engine stored in AY hangars.

HiFly had a scheduled two-day maintenance break this week and the engine incident just stretched it a day or two.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
How bad is this? Worth re-routing with stops to avoid? I have JFK-HEL, then a layover and HEL-BKK. I can leave up to 2 days earlier on my JFK-HEL leg, what would you guys advise, and what are my options? I will call AY tomorrow, flying in Biz on an I fare. Will they really re-route JFK-DOH-HEL?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
How bad is this? Worth re-routing with stops to avoid? I have JFK-HEL, then a layover and HEL-BKK
I was in the same situation but ex-BOS. I called Finnair Customer line in NY and asked to be rerouted via LRH on BA. Surely you don't want to be rerouted via DOH.

p.s. And the worst thing that happened to me was, after I rerouted via LHR, my flight from HEL-HKG departed 8 hours late.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
How bad is this? Worth re-routing with stops to avoid? I have JFK-HEL, then a layover and HEL-BKK. I can leave up to 2 days earlier on my JFK-HEL leg, what would you guys advise, and what are my options? I will call AY tomorrow, flying in Biz on an I fare. Will they really re-route JFK-DOH-HEL?
I would definitely reroute if travelling in J.
No personal experience from this particular HiFly bird but according to various trip reports the hard product is inferior to AY.

DOH is too much backtracking (and probably more expensive for AY) to be practical and AY will most likely try to re-route via LHR.
With some preplanning you may get A350 for LHR-HEL leg, AY is operating the morning flight AY832/BA6032 dep. at 10:20 with A350 daily except Tue and Sat.
And a word of caution: several last minute changes from A350 to A320 due to technical reasons occurred lately.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by ff_flyer
I would definitely reroute if travelling in J.
No personal experience from this particular HiFly bird but according to various trip reports the hard product is inferior to AY.

DOH is too much backtracking (and probably more expensive for AY) to be practical and AY will most likely try to re-route via LHR.
With some preplanning you may get A350 for LHR-HEL leg, AY is operating the morning flight AY832/BA6032 dep. at 10:20 with A350 daily except Tue and Sat.
And a word of caution: several last minute changes from A350 to A320 due to technical reasons occurred lately.
BA has no I class availability on my dates though. Rebooked AA JFK-LHR, AY LHR-HEL.

Last edited by GetSetJetSet; Dec 4, 2016 at 12:13 pm
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA GfL
You got a very good deal then. AA J is better than BA J. And the best part is AA and AY arrive and leave at the same terminal at LHR.

Last edited by Peregrine415; Dec 4, 2016 at 5:05 pm
Old Dec 5, 2016, 5:42 pm

Maybe I am missing something but when I looked into re-routing my ticket I ended up on a eurobusiness A320 for the LHR-HEL sector which is still a 3Hr flight and is surely far worse again than even the HiFly product.

I flew on a UL A340 some years ago and whilst the J cabin might not be current generation, it is still perfectly comfortable. Whilst i was keen to get the additional BA sectors I decided to just stick with HiFly, I guess time will tell if this was wise or not :-)
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:40 pm

Maybe I am missing something but when I looked into re-routing my ticket I ended up on a eurobusiness A320 for the LHR-HEL sector which is still a 3Hr flight and is surely far worse again than even the HiFly product.

I flew on a UL A340 some years ago and whilst the J cabin might not be current generation, it is still perfectly comfortable. Whilst i was keen to get the additional BA sectors I decided to just stick with HiFly, I guess time will tell if this was wise or not :-)
Probably good decision. Why fly via LHR when you can have a direct flight. Remember people here WANT to have as many stops as possible to get their valuable (?) miles and points (and visit the lounges). HiFly itself is of course a very very bad decision by Finnair

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.